DDOcast Host
    Licensed House Cannith Refuse Disposal Unit Technician

Default DDOCast 557 - Alts vs Past Lives

Cordovan returns as guest host this week with guest Chai as they take a look at this week’s DDO game and community news then look at playing Alts vs Past Lives.

Have thoughts on this show, ideas for round table topics, questions you’d like us to answer, or topics you’d like to see us debate? Leave us a comment, send us an email (ddocast@gmail.com) or give us a tweet (@ddocast)!

Check out www.ddocast.com for mp3 audio, our show calendar, archives, and more!

Want to support the show? You can feed the kobolds (give money) on our Patreon page! We use these gifts to support the show and give out prizes.

Producer’s Note: Due to personal time constraints there will be no timestamps this week. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Watch shows live at twitch.tv/ddocast

DDO Chronicle 331
    Shamgar ~ Pjstechie ~ Melchizedek ~ Habakkuk ~ Josheb ~ Magoi ~ Kinnor ~ Eshek ~ Zakchaios ~ Jephthah ~ Bartimaios ~ Ehudh ~ Bezaleluri ~ Nebuchad ~ Lava Divers (Khyber) ~ Epic Education ~ Building Blocks ~ DDOCast ~ contact me

I don't really worry about making sure a character is "at level" for new content - the 1st run or 2 through it are generally going to be heroic elite on one of my capped characters so I can go for a relatively casual sightseeing tour, enjoy the new things & maybe get some shiny new toys for characters running heroic levels.

I have about 10 characters that I use regularly, all with a handful of past lives & 1 class completionist that I'm gradually doing epic & racial lives on, but unfortunately I made the mistake of levelling that one as tiefling wizard eldritch knight & I'm enjoying it so much at cap that I don't want to get back on the TR train with her yet. Overall, about half of my characters are capped, the rest are spread through heroic & low epic levels. My typical approach is just to play whatever I'm in the mood for at the time, or catch a pug raid if possible - most recently I've been enjoying the shiny new inquisitive tree so I've been focussing on levelling that character through heroics.

Random thought - Jerry needs an actual hat to wear on camera for when he's talking as Cordovan the SSG guy vs. just talking as Jerry the guy who's a DDO/LOTRO player, so he doesnt have to keep making the disclaimer
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Hierophant of Vol
    Truthspeaker of Khyber

Default Well done!

Cordovan,

I really appreciated your comments! They show you have been listening and "get" what many of us have been saying/asking for.

For heroic XP- limiting the XP penalty to second-life requirements would address MANY issues raised by those of us who love alt-play and are interested in a better experience for new/returning players.

For account-level benefits- I found your comments on Reaper XP interesting (90% individual, 10% shared)... but what if instead of this type of system... a system which limits the impact of sharing were introduced? For instance... let's say you were able to share Reaper XP... but that capped at the XP required for 10 reaper points. Once earned... every character you create will start with 10 Reaper points... the rest you have to "earn" for that individual character.

Something similar could be done for PLs as well. Maybe once you earn 3 PLs on a character for a particular race/class... a tangential benefit is every character you have/create starts with 1 PL of that race/class. This allows a boost for the alt- while still allowing plenty of room for individual progression.

Thoughts?
    Griglok (main)- Cleric (TRing), Duelcore- Wiz 18/FvS 2, Embezzler- Rogue, Fiergen- Ftr 8/Rgr 6/Mnk 6, Greyhead- monk, Havegun- Ftr 2/Pal 18, Jayberwocky- Ftr 8/Mnk 12, Laciolux- Clr 16/FvS 4, Prototech- Artificer, Rendorc- Barbarian, Seasharp- Bard
    Leader- The Casual Obsession ___Khyber___

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by karatemack View Post
    Cordovan,

For account-level benefits- I found your comments on Reaper XP interesting (90% individual, 10% shared)... but what if instead of this type of system... a system which limits the impact of sharing were introduced? For instance... let's say you were able to share Reaper XP... but that capped at the XP required for 10 reaper points. Once earned... every character you create will start with 10 Reaper points... the rest you have to "earn" for that individual character.

Something similar could be done for PLs as well. Maybe once you earn 3 PLs on a character for a particular race/class... a tangential benefit is every character you have/create starts with 1 PL of that race/class. This allows a boost for the alt- while still allowing plenty of room for individual progression.

Thoughts?
    I'd rather just have the 10% shared across the board. The first 10 reaper points are relatively easy to get. I have about 15 toons and most of them have 10-15 reaper points. But I have no toons with 20 reaper points. I think the flat 10% shared would help me not fall completely off the power curve in the long run better.

I like the PL suggestion, even though I currently don't bother with racial or heroic past lives at all - way too much time for way too little reward and I'd rather play endgame content.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

I saw most of the episode. Glad to see Cordovan is pursuing this issue, and has a clear-headed grip on the problem. As a player with 33 characters, this issue really hits home with me.
    Wizenmann (30th life Completionist Cleric), Diotimae (13th life Tank), Malwida (13th life Rogue Mechanic), Iraenilee (14th life ?), Garainth (6rd life Bard), Stirner (3rd life Paladin), Acellin (3rd life Eldritch Knight), and a grip of others. Sole member of Solipsists United on Ghallanda.
    www.twitch.tv/wizenmann

Very good topic of discussion!

I absolutely believe that there should be more incentives to play alts, whatever the form.

I particularly wanted to chime in on account wide reaper xp discussion. I have posted on this before and I insist on playing my alts regardless of the penalization incurred.

I think as far as reaper enhancement trees are concerned the individual character rxp accumulation should STAY the way it is. Suddenly combining those trees with rxp would make already strong characters much stronger. That is completely unreasonable.

I do believe that the reaper vendors should operate on an account based level, this is where I strongly feel the disadvantage of playing alts. I play 4 characters, right now they are at 200k, 400k, 400k and 500k rxp. At this rate it will take me another year or so just to open the FIRST reaper vendor. Cmon! I'm a fairly regular player, chuck me a bone here!

I'm not asking for wings or anything over the top but opening that first reaper ven would be very nice as a personal prize for years of hard work. The way things stand now, the people who are celebrated are those that ground the heck out of one character on Amber for who knows how many hours.

By combining the reaper vendor rxp totals at this point, the only people who will benefit are those who have been running alts - and that would be just for cosmetics. There would be little effect by the change otherwise.

Thanks as always for running the show!
    Breaking boxes since 2011
    Characters: Grandern Marn / Yazmirr Grezztl / Vexir Bristleblade / Zappinaizah Subatrumpf Server: Orien Guild: Faca na Caveira
    New to the Orien server? Type "/joinchannel Titan" into the chat window and join some lively DDO discussion! Happy to help out with any questions.

We had a relatively long thread about Racial APs from past lives, please consider front loading them ie: swapping the rewards so the action points come first, then skills and stats, or even stats second then skills third.

It will not lock out players wanting PLs feats for customization and build options, rather than vertical min-maxing. Most players who want to chase the verticals will still chase anyway.

The sharing mechanics sounds a bit weird, but i like all suggestions on easing up the TR penality on 3rd+ lives. Even if just slightly.

Another show stopper for me is edestinies off-destiny ( with no class synergies) exp farming, it would be nice if we could pool up exp in main destinies even at a slower rate.

Thanks