Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Community Member DaviMOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Orien
    Posts
    175

    Default Falchions the new old Longsword.

    So whats happening to Falchions? The base weapon is the martial 2handed weapon most attuned to how turbine/ssg decided to evolve melee combat in a higher ground for the continued progression of the game(critical profiles).

    It have the best critical profile and could be a great weapon. However we dont see any named one since CITW. And they seem to be only interesting only on heroics. Actually I barley see those as random loot. Its easier to get an EXOTIC weapon than a falchion.

    Talking about PnP, mauls in other hand are "bad" with a very bad critical profile and dices. Used mostly to deal with skeletons and stuff who are very resistant to slashing/piercing its more themed/flavor than usability but here we have some of the most powerfull 2hf builds based on it. Greatswords still have some favor with a pale Lord of Blades contribution or PDK enhancments but only Greataxes with headman's chop seems to have some chance compete with mauls.

    I'm not asking or expecting for equalization as its not possible without hurting the game building freedom. I'm not complaining too. Is just like it was left behind while another ones that never meant to be so relevant gets so much love.

    Are Falchions abandoned/discontinued? Are there any plans for falchions in the future? A feat such as knight training ? The new class? Another universal tree?
    Last edited by DaviMOC; 05-06-2019 at 09:48 AM.

  2. #2
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,506

    Default

    ????????????????????

  3. #3
    Community Member DaviMOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Orien
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    ????????????????????
    Sorry. Yeah I missed her XD. Still, is it raw strong that good to overcome other weapons enhancment/ed based benefits? Is it that good to overcome any proper built greataxe build with a torn? Or a Silvanus build with a tremor? Or its more about a druid weapon? Is SSG planning to keep Falchions update by raw power, away from building tricks? Am I missing something? XD. Honest questions.

  4. #4
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    9,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaviMOC View Post
    So whats happening to Falchions? The base weapon is the martial 2handed weapon most attuned to how turbine/ssg decided to evolve melee combat in a higher ground for the continued progression of the game(critical profiles).

    It have the best critical profile and could be a great weapon. However we dont see any named one since CITW. And they seem to be only interesting only on heroics. Actually I barley see those as random loot. Its easier to get an EXOTIC weapon than a falchion.

    Talking about PnP, mauls in other hand are "bad" with a very bad critical profile and dices. Used mostly to deal with skeletons and stuff who are very resistant to slashing/piercing its more themed/flavor than usability but here we have some of the most powerfull 2hf builds based on it. Greatswords still have some favor with a pale Lord of Blades contribution or PDK enhancments but only Greataxes with headman's chop seems to have some chance compete with mauls.

    I'm not asking or expecting for equalization as its not possible without hurting the game building freedom. I'm not complaining too. Is just like it was left behind while another ones than never meant to be so relevant gets so much love.

    Are Falchions abandoned/discontinued? Are there any plans for falchions in the future? A feat such as knight training ? The new class? Another universal tree?
    I'm a bit confused here as I was expecting some examples of why the Falchion is now worse off then the Long Sword now that Knights Training feat is available. But the above does not seem like it is making that point. So let me try and clarify some things.

    This appears to negate the idea that they abandoned Falchions

    However we dont see any named one since CITW.
    Here are some Named Falchions since CITW
    1. Scorched/Caustic/Etched/Quenched/Smoldering/Doused/Electrified Falchion - Temple of Elemental Evil both a Level 7 and Level 26 version *
    2. Thunderforged Falchion **
    3. Epic Greensteel Falchion **
    4. Barovian/Nightmother Falchoin *
    5. Legendary Tail of the Scorpion

    * Some may not consider them named items but they seemed to be coded as such
    ** More Crafted/Customizable but are coded as named

    Mauls had a gain because they added deity advantages, in my opinion adding more deity options is good for allowing more weapon options otherwise they might as well remove some from the system. They were always a decent two handed bludgeoning weapon, LD's Anvil of Thunder and Pulverizer, and dwarven racial enhancements Combined with deity make this a competitive option thus why you see these types of builds.

    You seem to be arguing that Mauls are better then Greatswords and Greataxes. Yet I'm not seeing mauls as the primary weapon of TWF. Do you have the numbers to match? Did the pendulum swing to far in the effort to make bludgeoning weapons more popular and an option for melee?

    So how is a Falchion worse then a Longsword now that knights training is available?

    With Knights Training and assuming Improved Critical is taken

    Longsword 1d8 17-20/3x
    vs
    Falchion 2d4 15-20/2x

    Keep in mind Falchion can still benefit from glancing blows and enhancements that allow procs on glancing blows. Also the Falchion will benefit from 1.5x strength modifier vs the standard strength modifier of the Longword (dex/wis/int/cha if enhancements taken)

    It appears the Longsword has a higher multiplier but a lower chance and base damage then the Falchion

  5. #5
    Community Member DaviMOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Orien
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Guys, guns down please.

    I'm not saying falchions are worse than a longsword. I just felt like it's starting to need some dedicated care as longswords did get knight training , as with ED , deity and Enhancements incentives its hardly a natural choice. Also Longswords are in another scope as they're onehanded weapons. I'm not sure if it changed, but there was a thread here dedicated to critical profile study and silvanus builds are among the hardest hitting thf builds, for a long time the only issue on that build was the lacking of a good a named. There was an extra care to make mauls useful as we have a natural path on LD for axes. Falchions goes missing as greatswords near it with way way lower relevant than silvanus is the LoB deity and PDK training that also are both exclusive.

    Yeah, crafted gear comes to every weapon type and so the most generic benefits. The falchion's strenght is its critical profile that starts to pale when you get EXCLUSIVE benefits to Mauls and Greataxes on its critical profile making those weapons as strong as a falchion or even stronger blinding its relevance. I was talking about named because it's there where critical profile gets custon. Crafted ones dont get extra care on that.

    Its not a Longsword vs Falchions. I'm just recalling the reasons behind adding knight's training feat could partially be applied to Falchions if you consider how the game is now.

    Again, I'm not arguing on anything neither asking for anything. Its an open discussion. If you had the opportunity to choose one of the high end THF weapons to have in the game right now and build your two handed fighter around it. The greatsword, greataxe, mauls or falchions . Which one would you choose and why you choose that instead the other one?

    PS.: Yeah, I agree with more deity options. My hope is that they add more martial 2hf deities , right now or you start at 15 or you're a robot =).
    Last edited by DaviMOC; 05-06-2019 at 09:10 AM.

  6. #6
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaviMOC View Post
    Guys, guns down please.

    I'm not saying falchions are worse than a longsword. I just felt like it's starting to need some dedicated care as longswords did get knight training , as with ED and Enhancements incentives its hardly a natural choice. Also Longswords are in another scope as they're onehanded weapons. I'm not sure if it changed, but there was a thread here dedicated to critical profile study and silvanus builds are among the hardest hitting thf builds, for a long time the only issue on that build was the lacking of a good a named. There was an extra care to make mauls useful as we have a natural path on LD for axes. Falchions goes missing as greatswords near it with way way lower relevant than silvanus is the LoB deity and PDK training that also are both exclusive.

    Yeah, crafted gear comes to every weapon type and so the most generic benefits. The falchion's strenght is its critical profile that starts to pale when you get EXCLUSIVE benefits to Mauls and Greataxes on its critical profile making those weapons as strong as a falchion or even stronger blinding its relevance. I was talking about named because it's there where critical profile gets custon. Crafted ones dont get extra care on that.

    Its not a Longsword vs Falchions. I'm just recalling the reasons behind adding knight's training feat could partially be applied to Falchions if you consider how the game is now.

    Again, I'm not arguing on anything neither asking for anything. Its an open discussion. If you had the opportunity to choose one of the high end THF weapons to have in the game right now and build your two handed fighter around it. The greatsword, greataxe, mauls or falchions . Which one would you choose and why you choose that instead the other one?

    PS.: Yeah, I agree with more deity options. My hope is that they add more martial 2hf deities , right now or you start at 15 or you're a robot =).
    wood elf racial enhancements grant a total of +8 to damage with falchions specifically, and an additional +3 to 2 handed weapons in general, bringing the total to +11.

    also this,
    Forest Origins: Multiselector

    Rugged Upbringing: While Raging, gain +5% Doublestrike with Longswords, Rapiers, Scimitars, and Falchions.
    Oath of the Wild: You take an oath to forego metal armor, metal shields, and Rune Arms. As long as you do not have these equipped, you gain +10 Physical Resistance Rating.
    Faith of the Forest: You now count Rapiers, Falchions, and Shortbows as Favored Weapons, regardless of your Deity.

  7. #7
    Community Member DaviMOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Orien
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    wood elf racial enhancements grant a total of +8 to damage with falchions specifically, and an additional +3 to 2 handed weapons in general, bringing the total to +11.

    also this,
    Forest Origins: Multiselector

    Rugged Upbringing: While Raging, gain +5% Doublestrike with Longswords, Rapiers, Scimitars, and Falchions.
    Oath of the Wild: You take an oath to forego metal armor, metal shields, and Rune Arms. As long as you do not have these equipped, you gain +10 Physical Resistance Rating.
    Faith of the Forest: You now count Rapiers, Falchions, and Shortbows as Favored Weapons, regardless of your Deity.


    Ty! Thats the kind of reply I expected. I honestly missed the WOOD elf part(it came when i was out and i just saw it as a stylish elf). That race itself makes up alot for the weapon . So, you think thats enough?
    Last edited by DaviMOC; 05-06-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload