Community Member

Default Best Ranged DPS Options

Hi all,

So my 9 year old daughter has been playing DDO with my wife and I and we do a family questing night once a week. She is entering her third life, the first life was FVS Monk wisdom based archer, this life is warlock. Unfortunately she discovered the "Kill Count" and has it in her head that she has to be first or second. We were planning on have her run a wizard Vistani throwing knife build, my wife was going to run a melee artificer and I was going to run a fire based druid. I can't guarantee she would lead in that case. Yes I have tried explaining it is a team game but I want her to also have fun doing lots of DPS. Do you have any suggestions for a ranged build that would work or over-perform? She has a 36 point build and we can get tomes and gear. She is most interested in Vistani and did like the idea of looking like a vampire or wraith. I realize a rogue great X-Bow provides top notch DPS as I've tried that and I think ranged artificers are still competitive (playing ranged characters is by far my least favorite). I've tried monk throwers and they were weak in low levels and we only play heroics. Her first choice is Vistani but if it does lots of DPS from ranged then it is worth a look. If you have suggestions on builds the advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    D

Guardian
    Hero
    Crown Clown
    Death Dodger

well, there is the VERY powerful rogue/artificer great x-bow mech fusillade hybrid build that I've been using for a while. the main thing you need is rogue6/arti4, thats it, this leaves 10 levels leeway. Optimal would be rogue6/arti4/fighter6 with 4 levels wherever u want (more fighter feats, or more sneak attack, or a tad more spells), but those 10 levels can be anything else, making it an ideal build to farm past lives. here are a few bullet points:

- Full INT/trapper specced, can use insightful reflex if you want,
    - INT to damage from rogue 6 core, INT to attack from either harper spell, or Harper tier I
    - enough DEX for ranged feats, enough WIS to help with spot
    - Mech tier 5 stuff, vorpal abilities on 19-20, 30% alacrity (stack with haste/speed/striding), various huge boost to great crossbow DPS
    - Vorpal abilities on 19-20 include weapon vorpals, natural trip proc of a crossbow that normally only work on 20, and stuff like ruby of endless night neg lvl.
    - Artificer Fusillade, if you reach 4 lvl artificer early you will be able to get a feel for the build, when you hit lvl 12 with the 30% alacrity you will truly feel powerful
    - 10% doubleshot in Mech tier 5 + 10% doubleshot in arti tier 4 (with rune arm)
    - with 6 level of fighter you can get +1 multiplier in Kensei cores (partly replace the loss of the rogue lvl 18 core)
    - get artificer +3 Action Boost, if fighter + 3 action Boost, twist in +3 action boost from legendary dreadnaught, if half-orc or dragonborn with enough racial pts +3 Action Boost.

this build mow down stuff super efficiently, trip stuff a lot, and is loose enough to let you use it to farm class PLs.

alternatively, with the new Inquisitive tree, you can try for a less powerful (but still fun) bunch of builds.
    if artificer or rogue, use INT to dmg from arti spell + harper tier I INT to attack, if anything else use either falconry WIS for attack and damage, or Harper INT for attack and damage, and boost your stats accordingly.
    - Artificer can use Insightful damage spell for INT to damage, and complement with harpier tier I INT to attack, and get extra Action Boost.
    - Bard are allowed to swash while inquisitive
    - Favored soul give you access to all FvS spells, and Inquisitive allow to treat crossbow as favored weapons.
    - Fighter give you bunch of feats and extra action boost
    - Rogue give you a crapton of sneak attack damage, INT to damage, and work well with the diplomacy aspect of inquisitive. AND IS PROLLY THE BEST DPS FOR INQUISITIVE
    - Wizard EK give you added elemental die damage, and would let you use undead forms.

now if you really want to be wraith looking, go wizard and waste enough pts to get shroud of the wraith alonside inquisitive, or spend less pts for vampire.
    Or use the shadowdancer destiny shadow form.
    but the optimal DPS for Inquisitive would probably be 16rogue/2artificer/2fighter with the +6 AB it gives.
    Last edited by Gabrael; 05-05-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer_Bell View Post
    Hi all,

So my 9 year old daughter has been playing DDO with my wife and I and we do a family questing night once a week. She is entering her third life, the first life was FVS Monk wisdom based archer, this life is warlock. Unfortunately she discovered the "Kill Count" and has it in her head that she has to be first or second. We were planning on have her run a wizard Vistani throwing knife build, my wife was going to run a melee artificer and I was going to run a fire based druid. I can't guarantee she would lead in that case. Yes I have tried explaining it is a team game but I want her to also have fun doing lots of DPS. Do you have any suggestions for a ranged build that would work or over-perform? She has a 36 point build and we can get tomes and gear. She is most interested in Vistani and did like the idea of looking like a vampire or wraith. I realize a rogue great X-Bow provides top notch DPS as I've tried that and I think ranged artificers are still competitive (playing ranged characters is by far my least favorite). I've tried monk throwers and they were weak in low levels and we only play heroics. Her first choice is Vistani but if it does lots of DPS from ranged then it is worth a look. If you have suggestions on builds the advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    D
    If you have inquistor i would run that. I would sugest going artificer as well. Go int focused. In the early levels get int to attack and damage as well as know the angles from the haper enhancment tree. Start off with repeaters. After level 12 switch to the inquistor and run heavy/light crossbows.

Artifficer can give solid healing (especialy if you become a robot over time). The weapon imbues can provide int to damage to save a bunch of action points in haper enhacment tree. And most importaintly the build puts out a lot of ranged damage with very little effort. The action boost no hold barred provides lots and lots of damage, when that runs out haste boost is also really strong.

If you play epic’s or end-game stuff, run legendary dreadnought and keep master blitz running. The build is very simple to play and very effective. As you get better you can encoperate other aspects but its not complicated.

You should aim for 21 dex to get combat achery at lvl 21 if you plan on running 20+ content. If not 17 dex for improved precise shot is all you need. No tomes required. Race options are gnome, halfing, drow. Stats are int, con, minium required dex.

Heroic Feet list in no particular order:
    Precision
    Rapid shot
    Rapid reload
    Point blank shot
    Precise shot
    Improved precise shot

You can also get quicken and other spell casting feets if you want to go that way, artificer gives 4 bonus feets. Trapping is quite viable on a build like this as your int focused.

16 artificer gives you reconstruct and deadly weapons, there is no real need to go above that. Just expect that most of your ehnacments are going to be tied up. If you want to splash for a more complicated and intresting toon, 2 fighter and 2 monk would be strong, 4 more feets to play with (thoughness is an option), evasion, and fighter has haste boost and extra action boosts for cheep.

Community Member

If you have Inquisitive (Or rather if she does).

18 Wiz/2 Rogue. Intel primary, con/dex secondary.

41 Inquisitive

6 EK (7d6 elemental damage per shot)

12 Harper (Int to hit/damage/kta)

Rest in PM / Racial

All the traps, plenty of feats, focus on CC for casting, crossbows for damage

Community Member

If she has Inquisitive and does not have a big dex tome, consider Artificer 2 / Ranger 11 / whatever; in that case she only needs to hit 13 dex.

Rest can be 1 barb for run speed, 15 ranger for CSW/FoM, 4 Artificer for another feat...

Community Member

16 rog/4 arti, 18 rogue/2 arti, pure 20 rogue greatXbow are all very powerful options. I personally prefer the pure rogue for maximizing sneak attack and the very powerful level 18 mechanic core.

There are also variants that incorporate fighter levels that may be a good option if you're sticking to heroics to get all the feats you need faster.

Simplest solution: don't compete with her.

I. DPS build (Daughter)
    II. Healing+Soundburst (Wife || You)
    III. Intimidate defender tank (Wife || You)

For heroics there aren't really choices for optimals, it is all about crossbows, both Artificer and Mechanic works extremely well, best mixed with Fighter levels to fill out the gaps.
    There is no shame in pain.

Community Member

Default Agree

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Let your daughter pick, then design you and your partner around her choices, no matter how ridiculous. Don’t turn her into a cookie-cutter, flavour-of-the-month, forum-build.

I'll 3rd this.

Druid Caster
    Artificer Tank

Does she need to be ranged???
    TWF Ranger
    Barbarian (not so great until 12, but they sure are fun )
    Casting Sorcerer (She'll need to learn to manage SP but she can blast A LOT of things. And there are a couple easy to farm items to help in the early levels)
    Repeater Artificer (Wife may want to play something else? Paladin?)
    TWF Monk (Build the Challenge Farmer version for more AoE attacks)
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

Pure gnome wiz, 31 ek 21 wraith 11 Harper, rest for color spray and inqui. Magic ghost cop! Should put up big numbers in heroic.

I'd steer away from wraith for dedicated grouping though just because she'd be immune to druid heals. There's lots of inqui options that will give you great ranged dps...I posted a fvs build on the universal forums that I think is solid, though she won't need the self heals as much.

A pure rogue would probably be ideal - lots of sneak die, auto aggro shed (so max her diplo) will mean she's pumping out crazy dps very reliably. She'll be reliant on you to keep her alive, that's the only drawback, but with imp evasion and a dedicated tank that's not too much of a concern.

Community Member

I. DPS build (Daughter)
    II. Healing+Soundburst (Wife || You)
    III. Intimidate defender tank (Wife || You)
    I second this advice. When I started playing with my daughter, I let her pick whatever type of toon she thought would be fun, then I picked something to compliment it. Her first life was a rogue mechanic, so I played a paladin intimitank. I could get aggro so that she could get sneak attack damage and take less damage herself, and I could even do a minimal amount of healing.

If you're only doing heroic lives, I wouldn't bother with multiclassing. Just have her pick something she thinks would be fun and go with a single class. (rogue mechanic, arti w/ crossbow, shuriken monk, etc.)

brutal dagger throwing needs 3 bard (+1 threat and multiplier, competence, not much AP), supervampire needs COSMETICS! and 6 wiz (and not much AP), the remaining lvls can go more wiz for more vampire healing or fighter for extra bab and feats cause... well, bab and feats are important for attack speed lol, in any case you would go 17 points in swash (cause resonant arms in throwing weapons is... nice? XD), 15 in pm (cause vampire and only stuff that adds to it as non caster), and remaining on vistani

with some spare AP to spend in EK so she can wield a buckler with some points in EK for some survival

no need for 6 fighter levels cause strike with no thought it's competence too, as swash bonus, can go there for a bit more damage

also, let's asume, bard are sexy by definition lol
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Default Family game night

Hi all,

So my 9 year old daughter has been playing DDO with my wife and I and we do a family questing night once a week. She is entering her third life, the first life was FVS Monk wisdom based archer, this life is warlock. Unfortunately she discovered the "Kill Count" and has it in her head that she has to be first or second. We were planning on have her run a wizard Vistani throwing knife build, my wife was going to run a melee artificer and I was going to run a fire based druid. .... If you have suggestions on builds the advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you are still having fun gaming together. some of the best fun I had with my son after playing online a while was to do the paper game. Engage the imagination. He came up with some great solutions and soon was enjoying it more than the online. ---- or maybe that was just the pizza

I started playing DnD when I was 11 & brother was 7 so not too earlier. I ran the game for the neighborhood kids.

Happy gaming

Jelliqal

Yeah, currently, Inquis is kinda THE DPS ranged build. But if she doesn't have that, the endless/never-ending Fusilader build (link below) is very strong, if a bit complex to run "optimally".

I'd avoid a thrown build - throwers don't really start to shine until end-Heroics, more for Epic end-game.

Edit: Followup Q (that should have been asked first): What Premium Races, Classes and/or Universal Trees does she actually have access to? Gnome? Artificer/Monk? Inquis/Harper/Falconry/VKF? Does she have a preference/aversion to any specific races? Drow/Halfling/Human?

(And, if my math is right, 36 point build, correct? Any Tomes? +2 Dex/Int?)

This would limit the suggestions to "non-theoretical" based on what is "possible" for you and yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer_Bell View Post
    So my 9 year old daughter has been playing DDO with my wife and I and we do a family questing night once a week. She is entering her third life, the first life was FVS Monk wisdom based archer, this life is warlock...
    Well, the real question is - how good a player is she? How good is she at selecting the best tactical buttons/sequence to use?

If she's just "point and shoot", then you want to shy away from anything that is too dependent on "Active" enhancements, and want "Passive" as much as possible. (OR, just teach her a simple sequence for the attacks - buttons 1-5, repeat, something like that.)

(And gotta admit, Inquis + current* Ratcatcher is pretty good at this!)

(* You might have only 1 more day to farm that up!)

Ranger/Arcane Archers may be the worst (LOTS of buttons for AA), but Mechanics can be right behind them, depending.

If she can handle a more demanding hotbar, maybe something like this...

o Endless Fusilader https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6057709... or this...
    o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6079661

However, maybe some sort of Rogue/Ranger Crossbow user? Ranger DWS has a lot of Passive bonuses that could add up. (There was a build that used Gnome, Color Spray, and an absurd number of Favored Enemies - anyone have a link, if it's still viable?)

Also, how good is she at "kiting"? How good is she at avoiding aggro, and then at staying alive once aggro finds her?

If "Not great", then I'd strongly advise gluing a level of Barb onto whatever build you choose. Top-notch end-heroic DPS is probably not as important as a +10% "RUN AWAY" bonus. And Rogue can add +1%/Rogue Level on top of that for ultimate speediness, which can be fun at any age.

If that's the case, I'd go either Mech or some variation with Rogue. A Vorpal Repeating Crossbow can be a great equalizer for new(er) players, or anyone who doesn't have their button-fu honed to a fine edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrael View Post
    but the optimal DPS for Inquisitive would probably be 16rogue/2artificer/2fighter with the +6 AB it gives.
    Actually, you want Arti 4. Altho' they share a cooldown, if you have both No Holds Barred and Endless Fusilade there is a passive bonus to Ranged Power that is far more desirable than the 3rd Rogue Special Ability.

now if you really want to be wraith looking, go wizard and waste enough pts to get shroud of the wraith alonside inquisitive, or spend less pts for vampire.
    Flavor build, at best. Altho' it can work, having only a few Wizard Levels means the shrouds do not provide huge healing, which means it's not as strong as a true PW.

... the main thing you need is rogue6/arti4, thats it, this leaves 10 levels leeway. Optimal would be rogue6/arti4/fighter6...
    While I won't comment on "optimal", the first part of this raises a point. If the OP's daughter likes Ranged, and is going to TR more, then she could do worse than grabbing some Ranger Past Lives (+2 Ranged Damage each, plus some innate Elemental Resist, per PL).

Remember that, if not going to 30, this is really only an "18-Level" build - she goes to 18, banks enough XP for 20, grabs her 20 Tokens and TR's, done, so 18 & 20 are really only there for a blink.

So, going early(ish) with Ranger 6 (for the free Ranged Feats), then adding enough Ranger at the end for Dominant Class, may be a worthwhile tweak on any suggested X/Ranger/Y build (esp if Y = Barbarian 1, but either way).

If you want, I'm sure you could get some suggestions on a Rogue 9(ish)/Ranger 10(+)/Barb 1 that uses minimum buttons?

For full ranged assault specialist purpose, I would pick Rogue/Ranger with a level of Barbarian. Use Inquisit0r to burst ranged damage. Not that becasue I prefer a universal tree when rogue has mechanic and ranger has arcane archer...Sadly the builds ended up like this (This is easy built hardcore survivalist ranged toon. Same build also has more twist with Vistani being both melee and ranged)

For top fun through adventuring and questing purposes I would pick pure rogue Mechanic if it will be ranged only rogue. (Anyhow I love Acrobat/Assasin/Mechanic combo more as pure rogue build)
    Last edited by Kutalp; 01-22-2020 at 05:26 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdbEx7nuczo
    Basements & Rogue Dinosaurs

Best ranged DPS / Lead Killcount

Sorc.. any flavour will do with your group makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Best ranged DPS / Lead Killcount

Sorc.. any flavour will do with your group makeup.
    A point not without merit.

And as a Sorcerer, her button rotation would be pretty simple (at least until late Heroics).

Exactly... basically 2 to 6 or so spells likely 3 though for most Sorcs and away you run.

It's pretty fun to be honest.

Had a group that purposefully nerfed our Con. Literally less than 50 HP at level 20 and we were all 1 Monk (for the stance) and 19 sorc. This was BEFORE the powerup they recently got and completed just fine. The DPS / kill count is unreal with a Sorc these days.