Default U42 Preview 3: Cogs Explorer Area & Explorer Dungeons

Disclaimer
    Everything seen on the preview server, Lamannia, is not final and is subject to change or removal before live release.

Masterminds of Sharn is expected to feature 9 Story Dungeons, 8 Explorer Dungeons, 1 Explorer Area, and 2 Raids. This third preview contains all 9 of those Story Dungeons, all 8 of those Explorer Dungeons, the Explorer area, and 1 of those Raids (The only one expected to go live with Update 42). Players can gain access to these quests by speaking to "Lord Poincelot" in the center of the test dojo and then purchasing the "Masterminds of Sharn" adventure pack in the DDO Store.

The Cogs Explorer Area
    The entrance to the Cogs Explorer Area can be found in the Clifftop Tower District of Sharn. There is a "Cogs Guide" directly outside the entrance that will transport you to various locations within the Cogs that you have already discovered and, for this preview only, will transport you into the Raid Staging Area regardless of whether you have discovered it already or not (which he will not do on Live). You can reach Sharn either through a transport NPC in the Harbor or a transport NPC in the center island of the Test Dojo.

The Cogs Explorer Dungeons
    The Explorer Dungeons do not feature questgivers or direct teleports into them, instead, they can be found within the Cogs explorer area. You can reach Sharn either through a transport NPC in the Harbor or a transport NPC in the center island of the Test Dojo.

• Ruinous Schemes (Levels 15/32)

• Roll Call (Levels 16/32)

• Scavenger Hunt (Levels 16/32)

• Thralls of the Fungus Lord (Levels 15/32)

• Security Detail (Levels 16/32)

• The Magma Must Flow (Levels 16/32)

• Smash and Burn (Levels 15/32)

• The Wraithcallers (Levels 15/32)

Quest Known Issues
    • Some minor things but if you find anything let us know!
    Tell me about any and all bugs you encounter by clicking here!

NOTE: Submitting a bug in this manner is not a quick fix for past occurrences; it is instead a means of bringing issues to our attention to prevent future occurrences for both you and others. Providing detailed information, especially specifics about your account and character as well as what steps you took leading up to the issue, are critical to us being able to pinpoint the cause of any problems you have encountered.

Community Member

Boarding Pass and Bottle of Mist are same - It would be nice if the pass used a different icon like a ticket or at least had a different color

I ran around the COGS for a few hours and ran all 8 COGS explorer quests.

First off -the COGS can be hard to navigate - I spent a very long time trying to find the Cogs Fighting Arena and Sewer Access Point and finally gave up. Later I spend a very long time trying to get to The Magma Must Flow. I was finally able to use a combination of climbing the lava flow and winged jumps to get to the quest - very difficult for me. after running the quest and exiting I discovered the very easy run to both the Cogs Fighting Arena and Sewer Access Point. I then jumped down and discovered the air jet. I missed the air jet before - I am guessing because it is intermittent and no marking on the floor to give a hint it is there. I would suggest adding something to give a clue to the air jet - maybe something subtle like a crack in the rocks for it to come out of.

In the quest Scavenger Hunt - the end boss died quickly - seemed to have very few hit points.

In Fungus Lord - the large spores seemed to have very few hit points (killed the boss first)

Finishing out from the fungus Lord put me at the ruins - east of The Depths quest entrance -- /loc = You are at: r1 lx1495 ly787 i14 ox150.89 oy70.66 oz199.83 h295.3
    I tried to recall from this spot 4 times and always returned to it - unable to recall.
    I ran over to the The Depths entrance and stepped in an out and tried to recall again - returned to the same spot in the COGS -- You are at: r1 lx1495 ly787 i14 ox150.88 oy70.67 oz199.83 h128.0
    I want ahead and ran The Depths quest again and finished out normally. I then tried to recall from where I finished out and ended back up at the spot to the east: You are at: r1 lx1495 ly787 i6 ox150.90 oy70.64 oz199.83 h295.3
    This is the same spot I entered the COGS
    I then tried to use the boarding pass and teleported as expected.

I reentered to the COGS teleporting to the Destroyed Forge - ran around a bit and tried to recall - returned to the entry point of the Destroyed Forge.
    Used the boarding pass to exit.

I reentered to the COGS teleporting to The Village - ran around a bit and tried to recall - returned to the entry point of The Village.
    Used the boarding pass to exit.

I tried a few more times using the guild to enter and repeatedly recall sent me back to the point I entered the forge when I teleported in.

I then tried to enter the COGS through the door and recalled as expected.

I then logged out and restarted the client. Using the guide to teleport in and then recalling repeatedly took me to the point I teleported into at. Using the door allowed me to recall normally.

After a good amount of exploring, I have three destination points to teleport in using the guide: Ruins, Destroyed Forge, and Village. I did not have an option to return to the Raid staging area - I did use the guide in the staging area to return so expected to be able to return. I would suggest adding the ability to teleport to the staging area directly as this will greatly aid raid groups and avoid the problem of needing to drop group to run through the COGS to get to the staging area. It seems the staging area being a public space should be reachable.

On first pass - some of the quests can be very difficult to find. After finding routes, I don't think any are too difficult but some still are a long run from the guide points. My concern is that the quests are very short and the quest will likely be completed before late joiners can get to the quest. I don't think it needs to be like Ravenloft, but I do think the time it takes to run to a quest should always be less than the time it takes to complete the quest.

I only ran into one rare. The chest did not have anything special in it. I think it should at least have crafting parts and probably Filigree. Small sample size of 1 so maybe they do and I just didn't see any.

Community Member

One more comment on the COGS

I didn't find anywhere to turn in the COGS quests. I am guessing there are not any as finishing out, and running up to the door bestows the quest again.

This seems a bit odd as there are not many quests that do not have a turn in (Into the Mists is the only one I can think of off hand and it is special)

The Cogs Explorer Dungeons are like mini self-contained "walk-up" quests albeit they do have a related "Cogs Saga" specifically associated with them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wongar View Post
    I only ran into one rare. The chest did not have anything special in it. I think it should at least have crafting parts and probably Filigree. Small sample size of 1 so maybe they do and I just didn't see any.
    Just a hint or suggestion you might already know, get free points, buy astral diamonds, re-roll chests for free so you get a slightly bigger sample size

I think the one named I killed in the cogs had crafting & filigree but I am not 100% sure. No named loot, definitely, but I think I felt it was ok so likely had mats.

deleted
    Last edited by Alcides; 05-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Thralls of the Fungus Lord the boss door doesn't reopen so if you miss an objective without DDoor you can't go back to get it.

FlimsyFirewood, what on earth was going on with your 'Smash and Burn' Puzzle?

There was this really peculiar bug that triggered. One of the columns started moving across the floor! At first, I thought it was a graphics glitch. So just went going around to a higher column on the far side, but the next thing I see...

There was one column, stuck out, standing in the main path (nowhere near the puzzle). Not only that, it started travelling towards the door. Then it came back and seemed to be totally confused. I wish, I had taken some screenshots of it moving but it was that bizarre, and captivating etc. It actually went that far, it was only a foot or so away from the inner door.

Rattle my frame and shatter my ghost. And if I can't get back in line, they're gonna break me down.

I only managed to take three screen shots when it was nearly at its rest; as you can see from the three screenshots it's the "green dice number two" that was misbehaving. Obviously I just reset the Quest, after that just in case anything else had "bugged".
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 05-06-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: I'm telling you my broken friend can do most anything!

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post
    FlimsyFirewood, what on earth was going on with your 'Smash and Burn' Puzzle?
    Known issue.

Those platforms find paths like people so if something is blocking them, they wig out and try to go around. The puzzle should still be completable though, and eventually the freaky platform gets back to a reasonable place.

Thanks, for the explanation. Actually the same bug occurred again twice (at different times) today, with that puzzle by the entrance and another "green two", was misbehaving though with much less column movement.

Yes, after hopping onto the other dice, that faulty column finally moved back. Though yesterday it was completely possessed; it had evolved and decided it wanted to travel the world and do much bigger things...

If you never play the game, you'll never lose anyway.

After further observation I now mostly understand how the "pip" puzzle is working. I'm just not managing to get the final subtraction and last few column positions correct. I know it's mostly working horizontally and vertically and each of the three rows has a different inherent "pip" rank. Of course it only took a few seconds to do the two simpler puzzles in the Forgewraith "Mario" Cog room.

However, I still haven't quite managed to solve the other two puzzles. I'm halfway there and could predict what most value changes were going to be. :-/
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 05-06-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamani View Post
    Thralls of the Fungus Lord the boss door doesn't reopen so if you miss an objective without DDoor you can't go back to get it.
    This was fixed the day Lamannia went live. Now you have to defeat the wave of Red Musk Zombies before advancing any further into the dungeon, so it's impossible to miss any objectives before getting to the boss room.

Following on from my last critique on: Masterminds of Sharn (Preview 2), [Post #8] and [Post #11] we now conclude with the final: Preview 3. I managed to get time to (re)run most of the Cogs Explorer Dungeons this time. Please refer to my previous Sharn "the Cogs" Preview critique, i.e. [Post #8].

(For the Story Quests refer to: [Post #59] and [Post #9] and [Post #7] respectively.)

It looks as though you have done some further work upon "The Cogs Wilderness", it now looks far better constructed than in the first Preview.

In a cast iron cage, you couldn't help but stare like a creature.

I don't know what the main reason for the anti-gravity jets was except for to traversing obstacles like walls or landing higher up on a building or ledges, etc. If the 'anti-gravity' was designed to let you land upon those high bridges they were inadequate.

We'll shake and rattle our bodies to keep it warm at night.

I'm not sure who was doing the mock Londoner female voice-over for the: Factory Worker's Journal? They did a good job though several of her pronunciations in the quests did not sound British; I wonder if it was just a 'faulty recording' session or she wasn't English

<tangent>Technically for immersion you should have been braver and gone with a northern British female accent; it would have been a much more accurate reflection for the Foundries, etc.

If you don't know what some British northern girls accents sound when speaking; maybe think Melanie Brown or Melanie Chisholm from the Spice Girls. For the male sound, surely you've come across the late Pete Postlethwaite, which many times used a northern accent in films such as: Brassed Off.</tangent>

Question to the DDO Team: Is there any logical reason why you are now "auto killed", when falling from a height into a chasm within the Cogs Wilderness even though you are wearing Feather Fall?

Please remember: the Wilderness is very dark, it's not like the 'Restless Isles' were you can clearly see when you are standing at the edge of an immense drop... If you are still insistent on killing people that cannot see where they are treading due to poor lighting; consider also teleporting their Soul Stone to a Resurrection Shrine with the wilderness itself!

The Cogs Explorer Dungeons

In my humble opinion the Cogs Explorer Dungeons were all well designed and most of them were in a near complete state by Preview 2.

Ruinous Schemes: for what it was; it was short and sweet and if I can recall correctly actually a lot of good villainous dialogue occurred in this preview.

Roll Call: I think this quests was broken on that specific Lamannia build! :-(

The last preview, I was able to talk to all but the last student. This time sadly, I could only get to the first student and the Lava area. I even purchased some 'Bigby's Guiding Hands' and backtracked several times to be certain I didn't forget any areas. I found no way to get further than that first lava area (strange).

I believe there must have been a tunnel section that wasn't opening (after pulling the first lever) or something? It made no sense why the lava area was a small dead-end tunnel with just two anti-gravity levers. As there were no other exits when re-entering the other pipe work section to the first Student room.

The Magma Must Flow: this quest has improved slightly with the voice-overs and dialogue options - it's a quite nice quest to use Sneak within for the most part.

The Wraithcallers: some of the graphics glitches had been ironed-out; stop the evil Cultists', and their dastardly plan(s) was still relevant.

I've seen your lamplight burning low.

Security Detail: I didn't remember to revisit this quest (I was spending far too long with Flimsy's dice puzzle).

Smash and Burn: there were several changes to this quest since Preview 2, so I'll probably go into further depth in a new post.

I speak the sound of hollow logs and walk the dance of rags.

I mentioned in the prior reviews on my monitor the quest was rather dark it slowed navigation procedures a little. :-)

It's certainly an interesting and puzzling quest with lots of nooks and crannies to explore. Plus possibly the most balanced Sharn quest regarding having to explore and "think" rather than just killing things.

Scavenger Hunt: in this quest we go sifting through piles of rubbish in search of a Arcane Assistant that has ended up within a sewer.

It's not that easy to be a scavenger. Takes one to know one, so climb aboard.

There was some really nice artwork within this quest and the plot of chasing the Goblin was fine (if not a little short). Perhaps if the Goblin thief had a crazy goblin cackle akin to Roderic Nettle, it would be more fun when chasing him. ;-)

Wait, first we got the food...

I would have maybe liked to have seen some vermin (mobs) like rats near the piles of junk or even a skeleton or two. It was a nice quest though rather brief. :-)

Thralls of the Fungus Lord: at first we arrive at a Fight Arena occupied by some very dubious though very familiar looking characters.

When you're shackled to the shadow, we're ghosts.

Though we soon learn the about intriguing reason as to why there isn't a lot of illegal fights being arranged.

The good life, weeds are growing. The Gods are nothing between us.

There were some quite beautiful and serene areas within the dungeon, which is a stark contrast to most of the lower Cogs Industrial area - it was almost surreal to see it there but a nice refreshing change.

Ah look, the trees are calling me. Golden trees of majestic splendour.

It was nice to see a heavily trapped area for a change within a Sharn quest though being a Rogue, I never really saw most of them in action. It seemed a little odd where some of them were placed as if they weren't guarding anything important.

Again, I haven't gone into great detail and just reiterated those issues that I found most memorable.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 05-11-2019 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Grammar.

Smash and Burn: aside from the "Musical chairs" Dice that bugged and went berserk and nearly travelled all the way to the inner door there didn't seem to be many other glitches. Flimsy, if you get a dice that behaves like that one did, you should put it on YouTube it'd be cool. It was almost like a Xorian Puzzle Tile. The other Dice that bugged-out didn't travel past the puzzle area so were boring in comparison.

Screenshot of Preview: 2.

You may recall in Preview 2, I mentioned that the Grey buttons were a concern because they are not easy to distinguish from the surface they are attached to (and provided a screenshot). I believe your solution to the problem was to make the green lights to be initially lit?

However, I did notice at least one "Button" didn't seem to have an associated 'green light' refer to the following location:

(Standard): You are at: r1 lx1512 ly32 i6 cInside ox16.62 oy86.30 oz-216.65 h125.2
    (Standard): Q:0x70030E96

This preview, the Forgewraiths seemed to be visible in the "Mario Cog room" so they were far easier to locate - it was much more interesting when they were initially hidden.

It looks like you have changed the 'Quest Objectives'. As you may recall I actually completed the Quest in [Preview 2] (see the screenshot above).

Screenshot of Preview: 3.

However, I somehow couldn't manage to complete the Quest this Preview 3. I cannot really fathom out why it wouldn't 'Successfully Complete' because I managed to explore far more areas. I even managed to find a lot more Buttons thanks to your changes with the 'green lights' being lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Preview 3 Score Card
    [...]
    38 monsters killed.
    9 traps disabled.

124 breakables smashed. ...
    As you can see from the Preview 3, image and the supporting score card reference I pretty much must have extensively explored nearly all the areas I could reach - without managing to do the other two puzzles.

Obviously I didn't manage to solve two of the four Puzzles though they are classified as "Optional". Like last preview, I solved the two easiest Puzzles within the "Mario Cog room".

All I can assume for whatever reason the 'Special Cargo(s)' were actually either: inaccessible or not actually present within the dungeon or not registering. I do know that I managed to find at least the first one as it was a huge named container (I wasn't keeping track). It's a bit of a mystery why in this Preview I wasn't able to find them all...

That concludes my 'Smash and Burn' review, thank you for your time.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 05-11-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Don't be confused when your fuse is up.