Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Default Temple Of Elemental Evil

Hello everyone,
    I just tried to do the first part of it. For the very first time.

After I think it was 2-3 hours I gave up. That thing is far too massive for me. My character has been walking LOTS of kilometres within that, exploring everything, because, well, that's what I always do within quests first : Explore them.

I was playing the Heroic level with my character being an level 8 Paladin.

I didn't even go down, because my inventory was already full.

And I apparingly never found any upgradeable weapon or other upgradeable item there. Although the Wiki says it could be in any chest. Or at least that's how I've understood it.

Are there any tips ? Things I should be aware of ? I've already found a few secret doors, and my character was shot, too. Where do the upgradeable weapons appear ?

When I think of it ... I think I should start it early in the morning in the next try, maybe I'm done with it in the evening, then, all this exploring ...

P.S : I played the game as it was developed by Troika. Although I never played it to the end, I found it fun.

Alrik
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tapper this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this dale."
    "Archbishop Dryden wants to talk to you to tap on this tale."
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post

Are there any tips ? Things I should be aware of ? I've already found a few secret doors, and my character was shot, too. Where do the upgradeable weapons appear ?
    Level 2 down below.

Have spell absorbtion for the boss fight and mind the mushrooms. They're life savers.

Mobs and rares re-spawn on both levels.

You get extra xp if you find all the explorers.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Both parts of ToEE are huge, but part 1 is (relatively) straight-forward. Essentially it's a three-level dungeon with four elemental temples. IIRC you have to clear the 1st-floor Earth temple first, which opens the way to the rest of the dungeon; you can then tackle the next three temples in any order. After doing so, you open the way to the final boss who is guarded by four huge elementals.

I don't want to give away too many spoilers, because IMO it's more fun to discover as many of ToEE's secrets on your own. I will say there is a quest-bound weapon which makes beating the Earth temple a lot easier; see if you can find it.

As for more general tips:
    • Inventory management: Clear out anything you don't need before venturing forth. Make sure you have at least one collectible and ingredient bag on you. Apart from the free BtC small bags you get, there's 30-slot bags for sale in House Phiarlan and Jorasco. [Unfortunately they're exclusive so you can only have one of each in your inventory. But at least they're unbound so you can pass them thru your shared bank, if you have one.] If you haven't already hit 75 Coin Lords favor for the extra inventory space, well, now's a good time to check that off your to-do list. And don't forget about Otis at the beginning of the quest; if you run out of space, IIRC you can sell trash loot to him so you don't have to exit the quest and suffer a re-entry XP penalty.
    • Loot loot loot: Named weapons can drop from any named encounter or end-quest chest in either quest. The upgradeable weapons can be found in any chest in either quest. The upgradeable armor only drops from the elemental node chests in part 2. The end chest in Part 2 has the highest drop rates. And as always, the higher you set the quest difficulty, the higher the drop rates. You also need to collect ingredients to upgrade loot; see the ToEE crafting page.

And if you're tired of trying to work things out yourself, go read the wiki pages: https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Temple_of_Elemental_Evil

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by unbongwah; 04-27-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Thank you very much ! I really appreciate your replies ! It helps me, even although I've found some bits myself. And I think I've found that particular weapon already ... But I have also found that it is an quest-specific weapon that gets lost when leaving the quest area.

Yes, I believe that I must get more inventory space ... I already have medium bags for gems and for collectoibles with that char, so it wasn't that bad.

Here is a tip I can give myself : Don't destroy the spider's nest if you haven't found a certain friendly NPC before ! I'm not sure about that, but my guess is that destroying that spider's next also took away the possibility to fulfill a certain request ...

A thing that left me curious was why there are only mushrooms in those really *tiny* chests. Those standing on almost stool-like pedestals. Looks as if mushrooms are very valuable in the eyes of the temple folks.

I guess that I'll do the next try next weekend. This was quite exhausting for me, because of the sheer length. I just didn't know anything, for the first time, everything had to be found out in the first place. The next run will be a bit smoother, I hope.

at level on heroic elite, that can be a tough constant massed mob fight as you have already found out. I suggest you even wait a few levels before trying it again.

Make sure to have a weapon that can fight a Cube...

ToEE part 2 in the nodes is even longer (athough at times visually striking) and you will almost definitely fail the Zuggy end fight for it. It is like a mini-raid and has key mechanics.

The first upgrade of weapons requires lots of rusty gills so that long painful first run was not wasted! Once you grt to know the quest you will probably only run it overlevel for crunching out a heroic weapon.

I can stealth part 1 fairly fast as a different approach.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)

Thanks. The last mini-raid I once had was in that infamous pit deep below the Red Fens ... I don't remember that anymore, but that was ... bad. Hard to beat. Edit : Was this one : https://ddowiki.com/page/Demon_of_the_Frenzied_Blood

And I'll keep those mushrooms, thanks for your advice.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

And I think I've found that particular weapon already ... But I have also found that it is an quest-specific weapon that gets lost when leaving the quest area.
    Correct: that's what I mean by "quest-bound weapon." Unfortunately, you can't take it with you into Part 2, which is much heavier on elementals than Part 1, IIRC.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    at level on heroic elite, that can be a tough constant massed mob fight as you have already found out. I suggest you even wait a few levels before trying it again.

Make sure to have a weapon that can fight a Cube...

ToEE part 2 in the nodes is even longer (athough at times visually striking) and you will almost definitely fail the Zuggy end fight for it. It is like a mini-raid and has key mechanics.

The first upgrade of weapons requires lots of rusty gills so that long painful first run was not wasted! Once you grt to know the quest you will probably only run it overlevel for crunching out a heroic weapon.

I can stealth part 1 fairly fast as a different approach.
    I think you need to be way above level to complete heroic toee, i was 14 and died at 4 elementals -_-"

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post
    I think you need to be way above level to complete heroic toee, i was 14 and died at 4 elementals -_-"
    Fair enough! Some classes do better too. As a rogue part 1 sneaky is easy, 2 is really tough due to boss fight or the multitude of tremor sense beasties in various nodes (Fire—bats; earth—slimes; Water—jellies or whatever they are; air—none!)

I was only just in there yesterday on heroic at level 27...I had run with a group that I think was on EE and it was messy in part 1, part 2 run to pyramid with the two of us resulted in a lot more deaths than we expected.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)

Ugh. Thanks for the warning.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Here is a tip I can give myself : Don't destroy the spider's nest if you haven't found a certain friendly NPC before ! I'm not sure about that, but my guess is that destroying that spider's next also took away the possibility to fulfill a certain request ...

A thing that left me curious was why there are only mushrooms in those really *tiny* chests. Those standing on almost stool-like pedestals. Looks as if mushrooms are very valuable in the eyes of the temple folks.
    Correct, I usually hold off on the spiders until I find the NPC offering the rare first. However the longer you take in ToEE, the greater chance the rare will re-spawn some place else. If the rare pops at the start before you enter the temple, DDOOR works great to get back fast to collect the reward.

Keep all the stuff from the tiny chests, because they are needed for upgrading the items.

TOEE is one of the toughest heroic level quests to complete at-level.

Once you have explored part 1 of TOEE to your heart's content (which does grant xp for slayers even if you don't "complete" the quest, which is a nice consolation prize), you can make subsequent runs a lot faster. You simply go as straight as possible to the earth temple and beat the cleric to get the key to the lower level, then hit each temple (fire, water, air) to grab those keys and head to the boss fight. Still not a quick run, but it easily cuts the time in half by not exploring every nook and cranny.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    If the rare pops at the start before you enter the temple, DDOOR works great to get back fast to collect the reward.
    Thanks.

I didn't remember that spell anymore. Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Still not a quick run, but it easily cuts the time in half by not exploring every nook and cranny.
    Thanks. I'll keep that in my mind.

TOEE is one of the toughest heroic level quests to complete at-level.
    They are the toughest heroic level quests to complete at-level. If I remember correctly, it was Turbines first attempt to make an Epic Quest and then use a formula to scale it down to Heroic. Usually they scaled up so it was the guinea pig for later development and developers.

O'well, good luck in ToEE. I just run it over level or at cap when a friend needs a drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Whats the point of putting it at that level if you HAVE to run it massively over level...

Good point - I guess it's there for a "real challenge". There are people who want challenges like that.

Whats the point of putting it at that level if you HAVE to run it massively over level...
    it's an example of what my good old friend illidan would say
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

TOEE is a very long quest. Like an explorer area, but within a quest. Running part one slightly over level exploring everything takes me about 2 hours or so, and I know the quest fairly well by now. You can rush it through doing the minimal required objectives, but I feel that the quest is less fun that way. There are a plenty of shrines, so why not explore.

Knowing the Troika game sort of helps to know what to expect, but not much, really. DDO version is very different - and honestly, disappointing at times. Lots of missed opportunities, like no iconic massive fight with Hedrack on level 4, lots of cut content on levels 3 & 4, no ruined tower, no demons in the nodes etc.

The named weapons and crafting blanks drop only in end chests, random rare monster chests and some fixed chests in part 2 (shrine chest, node end chests). They do NOT drop from most static chests in part 1 (e.g. Harpy Matron) or from the small ingredient chests. One of the best / easiest places to farm is the shrine in part 2 (after locked door, before nodes). Overall, drop rates aren't stellar in general, and givent the multitude of possible drops (weapon types + melee & caster variations), getting the specific weapon you want would be a nightmare, I personally wouldn't farm for it. Maybe try the AH, trade forums or just asking around.

Also yeah, it's a challenging quest, but one that's doable by competent builds / groups. I think it's primarily aimed toward more experienced players. It's easier solo or with a smaller group than with a full group (because scaling). It's much easier slightly over level (no BB). It's easier on certain builds / classes (AoE CC and/or damage is vital).

If you're on Khyber, happy to offer you company for running TOEE. I enjoy it despite the many shortcomings

If you mean earth temple, there's a reason why they are so tough, and ways for easily dealing with them within the quest without killing.

Once you have explored part 1 of TOEE to your heart's content (which does grant xp for slayers even if you don't "complete" the quest, which is a nice consolation prize), you can make subsequent runs a lot faster. You simply go as straight as possible to the earth temple and beat the cleric to get the key to the lower level, then hit each temple (fire, water, air) to grab those keys and head to the boss fight. Still not a quick run, but it easily cuts the time in half by not exploring every nook and cranny.
    Far from "consolation prize", the optional XP can often end up being more than quest XP, especially on elite where there are more mobs, and especially if running above BB level. Farming level 1 of the Temple without completing can be a decent source of XP and loot, IMO.
    Last edited by Ausdoerrt; 05-08-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    If you mean earth temple, there's a reason why they are so tough, and ways for easily dealing with them within the quest without killing.
    I think he means the end fight with one each of the fire, earth, air, and water elemental, the Bebilith, and Falrinth. This is where each elemental is invulnerable while standing in their element/corner of the room.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Default Part 1 End Fight

Just thought I would chime in with a couple other tips for that part 1 end fight. As others have mentioned, the elementals are immune while on their own element tile. However, if you get them on the opposite tile (fire on water for example) they take extra damage I believe, so it makes them easier to overcome if you go for one at a time. Also, Romag's Club works on the Earth ele at the end as well. That means only having to defeat 3 of 4 of them and having the Earthy fight for you.

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast