Default Runearm Damage Bug

This post isn't about reporting this bug, it's about seeing if others experience it or not.

I have a 16 Rogue/ 4 Artificer at level 30 right now. I am using The Epic Fatal Flaw and the level 20 Archaic Device. When I fire JUST the runearm at tier 5, I get anywhere from 15-60 damage per tick and the enemy ALWAYS makes the save. However, if the runearm is fired right after performing any kind of attack, I get 400-600 damage per tick at tier 5, with the damage being 200-300 if the enemy happens to save.

The latter is of course the normal functioning damage, but I have no idea how to prevent the former situation from happening. It's frustrating because the runearm is really something that is reliable when it does the damage it's supposed to. But when you've got enemies running after you in Epic Elite/ Reaper content and you see the sub 100 damage ticks even at charge tier 5, it hurts inside.

Has anyone realized this occurs? Does it not happen to you? Do you have any sort of fix? Any information would be really helpful.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely View Post
    This post isn't about reporting this bug, it's about seeing if others experience it or not.

I have a 16 Rogue/ 4 Artificer at level 30 right now. I am using The Epic Fatal Flaw and the level 20 Archaic Device. When I fire JUST the runearm at tier 5, I get anywhere from 15-60 damage per tick and the enemy ALWAYS makes the save. However, if the runearm is fired right after performing any kind of attack, I get 400-600 damage per tick at tier 5, with the damage being 200-300 if the enemy happens to save.

The latter is of course the normal functioning damage, but I have no idea how to prevent the former situation from happening. It's frustrating because the runearm is really something that is reliable when it does the damage it's supposed to. But when you've got enemies running after you in Epic Elite/ Reaper content and you see the sub 100 damage ticks even at charge tier 5, it hurts inside.

Has anyone realized this occurs? Does it not happen to you? Do you have any sort of fix? Any information would be really helpful.
    It's not so much a bug, but how the game snapshots a pull of relevant stats for use when you do most regular actions, and keeps reusing that snapshot until certain actions repull it. For example, using a 0 spell power potion or scroll alters a warlocks aura due to snapshot of the 0 spell power scroll or potion since the aura doesn't repull stats, or doing any non-spell pen action snapshots your character to 0 spell pen for mass frog cast after since mass frog doesn't repull it, maybe even the disappearing (wrong or 0 stats) first shot of ranged.

Your prior action commonly snapshots your next action, when your next action isn't a regular spell or ability that repulls your stats, so that prior action needs to pull the right data to allow that next action to work properly. The way to snapshot a runearm, which is a magical ability, is to use a magical ability in front of it.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 04-28-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Last I checked, the rune arm was effected by artificer levels... Exhibit A, https://ddowiki.com/page/Rune_Arm . . . I have heard of a bug however, where if you are actively attacking, while you use your rune arm. The game thinks that you are a pure artificer.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    It's not so much a bug, but how the game snapshots a pull of relevant stats for use when you do most regular actions, and keeps reusing that snapshot until certain actions repull it. For example, using a 0 spell power potion or scroll alters a warlocks aura due to snapshot of the 0 spell power scroll or potion since the aura doesn't repull stats, or doing any non-spell pen action snapshots your character to 0 spell pen for mass frog cast after since mass frog doesn't repull it, maybe even the disappearing (wrong or 0 stats) first shot of ranged.

Your prior action commonly snapshots your next action, when your next action isn't a regular spell or ability that repulls your stats, so that prior action needs to pull the right data to allow that next action to work properly. The way to snapshot a runearm, which is a magical ability, is to use a magical ability in front of it.
    That is really interesting. Thank you for explaining that. I feel a bit better in that at least I wasn't necessarily doing anything wrong. So while I can't fix it, at least I have an explanation!

Is this how runearms are supposed to work? Or is this maybe an edge case that was missed?

Community Member

That is really interesting. Thank you for explaining that. I feel a bit better in that at least I wasn't necessarily doing anything wrong. So while I can't fix it, at least I have an explanation!

Is this how runearms are supposed to work? Or is this maybe an edge case that was missed?
    You aren't supposed to be getting the big hits at all. 8-30+4d10 per tick, producing your 15-60 microhits, wai. The save is based on charge level, intelligence modifier, and runearm and evo dc bonuses iirc. Without much investment your dc is probably pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    You aren't supposed to be getting the big hits at all. 8-30+4d10 per tick, producing your 15-60 microhits, wai. The save is based on charge level, intelligence modifier, and runearm and evo dc bonuses iirc. Without much investment your dc is probably pretty low.
    So you're saying the bug is that I get high damage numbers at all?

So you're saying the bug is that I get high damage numbers at all?
    That's how I understand it. The rune arm says max damage is 8 to 30 plus 1D10 per Artificer level. Since you only have four arty levels your damage should be 12-70. Add your spell power to that number and then divide by two because at epic levels you can expect most everything to make its will save.

Do epic levels add to you Artificer level for the purpose of rune arm damage? I don't think so but I couldn't find the answer stated anywhere.

I made an iconic 13 Artificer/2 Paladin yesterday and it checks out. I was firing just the runearm and I was seeing the expected high damage numbers. Looks like I was looking at this all wrong haha. But it still looks like if you fire the weapon first and then fire the runearm, the game seems to think you are a higher level Artificer than you actually are.