Community Member

Lightbulb Question about the paladin

Hey.

I'm going back to the game after a huge break. My character is Paladin and unfortunately I can not find the build that I had and I found him here was the Paladin / Fighter connection under DPS. So please tell me if something has changed in building this character?

And I'm sorry for my English, I peed on the translator

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sigrandil View Post
    Hey.

I'm going back to the game after a huge break. My character is Paladin and unfortunately I can not find the build that I had and I found him here was the Paladin / Fighter connection under DPS. So please tell me if something has changed in building this character?

Not clear what build you are talking about - could you link the build here so we can look and see if it is still viable?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MacRighteous View Post
    Not clear what build you are talking about - could you link the build here so we can look and see if it is still viable?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...50#post5071250

Most likely it was this build, though it's rogue here and it's not in mine. Is he still up-to-date or has he not been used for a long time?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759360

Find the build which most closely matches yours, ask if you need updates. Good luck.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759360

Find the build which most closely matches yours, ask if you need updates. Good luck.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...or-new-players

I create a new character. Please tell me if this build needs updating or can you build it based on this scheme?

Community Member

I create a new character. Please tell me if this build needs updating or can you build it based on this scheme?
    Still a solid build

As a solo player I might invest skill points a little different e.g max Heal instead of Intimidate (no need to keep aggro if you are the only one in the dungeon) and work in some Balance (harder to knock down and quicker to get up) and Jump (10 points is enough since gear can help you max to 40) instead of UMD (paladin has enough self healing and buffs, plus you cant use Raise scrolls when you're dead - if dying is a problem then either run at a lower difficulty, use a hire or farm a Jack Jibbers) but that's just me - if you plan to group you prolly would want to keep it as written

Just a note from my experience S&B Paladins has less DPS than THF Paladins - but since this build takes the full THF line (for Glancing Blows with the BS) you can always switch to a two-hander if needed. (GB and the extra DPS you pick-up from the Shield line almost balances the two - but THf is cleaner and easier to put down some giant smack when you are overwhelmed by Mob swarms)

For epics I like my S&B to run in Divine Crusader and twist in Endless Lay On Hands III from Unyielding Sentinel - but again that's just me YMMV if running in a different Destiny I try to twist in Endless Smiting and Endless Turning ( Undead turning charges fuel Divine Might and Retribution )

Also -
    I would take Power Attack instead of Stunning Blow at level 1 - and prolly take Stunning Blow at 27 instead of Epic Damage Reduction
    That's my take - Now watch Unbongwah or somebody else jump in and correct me of my folly

/Mac
    Last edited by MacRighteous; 04-27-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

If you want a classic S&B toon, then pure paladin or fighter is still the way to go thanks to the Vanguard tree. However, S&B DPS lags significantly behind the other melee combat styles; and it's debatable whether the defensive benefits of S&B outweigh that, particularly if you're soloing and not just tanking in a group. Or in blunter terms: it will take you longer to solo quests because it takes you longer to kill things vs higher DPS melee builds including other non-S&B paladins. Not trying to scare you off of S&B - you play what you want to play - just being upfront about the downsides.

That build still works fine, largely because paladins haven't gotten any buffs in a long time. Although the devs have said they're planning a paladin revamp later this year, IIRC, so here's hoping that changes soon. You can also make a S&B toon using the new Knight's Training feat, which buffs various melee weapons which have historically lagged behind other weapon types. I posted a sample build here.

The main advantage of a Vanguard using bastard sword or dwarven axe is they get glancing blows. The main advantages of a Vanguard using Knight's Training weapons are it requires fewer feats to fully utilize (particularly helpful to a paladin as you're so feat-constrained, for a fighter it's no big deal), a better critical threat range (meaning bigger and/or more frequent crits), and it works with a larger variety of weapons (whereas picking an exotic proficiency pigeon-holes you into using that specific weapon). That last factor is particularly important if you're a newbie with no gear to start, IMO, as it means there's more weapon types which are useful to you.

That said, pick the approach you prefer and stick with it.

BTW I also have a Single Weapon Fighting (SWF) paladin build with trap skills here. It was originally intended for khopeshes, but I think nowadays I would pick the Knight's Training feat instead for the aforementioned reasons.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 04-27-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Thank you for your help. I am sure that this information will help me build a new character.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Hey.

Paladin is currently a good class, but every single other class is currently better than Paladin. The best thing to do with the build is get to 20 and reincarnate and enjoy that additional healing amp. because even though Paladin is not in a great place as a class, it has the absolute best past life.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful