Community Member

Default Suggestions/ Recommendations for a new monitor

Under $200, what would be some parameters for me to consider for a new gaming monitor?

And some things to avoid as well please.

Thanks

Can't give much advice being in UK vs. US, but i've always found ViewSonic to be very solid performers & they're not overly expensive either - probably not the best out there, but great in their price bracket
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

The choice of your monitor will depend on several things for example how large you want the display, etc. I presume a lot of the time the main game you will be playing is DDO? Rather using the monitor for the latest lightning-speed, 3D-Ready simulators. So response time might not be paramount for you. Make sure it's no higher than 5ms but 5ms should be fine. It's unlikely you'd want to be using the built-in monitor speakers if it has them. Currently $200 USD is around £150 so not highest end gaming but you should be able to get a decent "budget" monitor.

My monitor is quite old and isn't a "gaming" style monitor. It is does have an IPS Panel (accurate colour reproduction at wide angle) and is flicker free. It's an Iiyama ProLite, so it's actually a professional range model rather than a gaming model. The panel itself was manufactured by LG Display so a quality fabricator. Also my monitor panel is the rarer matte, which I prefer. It's a good monitor from Iiyama, a very reputable brand and I've not had any problems.

The majority of Monitor vendors get their panels from only a handful of fabricators. So make sure you do your research on a specific model such as if its matte or glossy panel screen (if you prefer one over the other), etc.

If your Graphics card isn't cutting edge and doesn't have the horsepower it is not going to benefit from a monitor at the really ultra high resolutions. I specifically mentioned my monitor had an 'IPS Panel' because even though they are usually found on professional monitors rather than super fast gaming models. I know that you do a lot of image editing Lagin, therefore you would likely appreciate the accurate colour reproduction of IPS, at wider angle, without eye-strain.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 04-22-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: You owe nothing to the past but wasted time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post

If your Graphics card isn't cutting edge and doesn't have the horsepower it is not going to benefit from a monitor at the really ultra high resolutions. I specifically mentioned my monitor had an 'IPS Panel' because even though they are usually found on professional monitors rather than super fast gaming models. I know that you do a lot of image editing Lagin, therefore you would likely appreciate the accurate colour reproduction of IPS, at wider angle, without eye-strain.

Thanks. I personally have an Acer VA 27" curved, and it suits my needs.

One of my PnP mates Asked me to post this for feedback from the community. I tried to tell him without the proper V-card most efficient monitors will under-perform.

He's a nuts and bolts type, and just wants to open a box, connect a cord and turn it on. But wants great response time for gaming (he didn't know the difference until last week). Wanted to spend less than $200.00. I told him to expect to pay a little more for something that give him good quality images for streaming and gaming.

The V-Card issue is our (pnp group) new obstacle with him. He got upset with us when we explained power consumption, over-clocking (lol) and how his current rig might not efficiently utilize a kick-ass card.

So now..... we have him on newegg & tigerdirect looking at a whole new system. (I'll most likely build him a rig from daily deals and close-outs).

Thanks for the feedback, he read it and and was like a cat staring at a wall.

It's similar with TVs, most of the biggest-name leading brands, don't always produce their own panels and may offer inferior cheap quality panels but still charge premium just for the TV brand name rather than quality of the panel.

LG Display makes all their own panels and they are probably ranked within the top three for fabrication quality. Iiyama does produce Monitor panels and were always winning awards in the early 2000s for their CRTs. Still, I thought it was worth mentioning sometimes panels in monitors for certain models and brands don't always come from the same company or are produced at the same fabricators. So it can be worth checking they are using quality panels.

I'm glad that helped with their decisions, etc. Of course for certain types of the fastest paced games where the game itself has been optimised for specific graphics cards features; those types of higher-end hardcore gaming monitors will also have things like Nvidia G-Sync or AMD FreeSync.

Yes, you are correct graphics card horsepower and the game code itself has to be optimised before it will benefit from a monitor at the really ultra high resolutions, etc.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 04-30-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Grammar.

I have an LG 29" widescreen, that does very well ty, and it is on Amazon for around £209 and on Ebuyer for around £180 at the moment. Its an IPS panel that shows the game off beautifully. You may find that the above prices are somewhat lower in the US. In which case...."Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!"
    TYRS PALADIUM.....Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Fighter/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monkftr/rogue /Hesteban fvs /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts ranger/Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster Paladin/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner/Cottelettedporc cleric/ftr /

Community Manager

The main recommendation I have is when looking at super-sale or cheap monitors, check to make sure the promoted resolution is the actual resolution, not an upscaled lower rez. One of my monitors was a cheapy 1080p that I didn't realize was upscaled 720 until I got home.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com