Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Elemental Apotheosis: Visual effect

Elemental Apotheosis: Visual effect for my mage is visually very annoying, also i cant see my cosmetic items etc, harder to see mobs sometimes.

Any way i can turn it off? Or reduce?

A separate toggle for the visual effects covering the avatar would be incredibly nice.

When they first started making sorcerers extremely elemental focused, they added arm visual effects... I actually really preferred these effects. Mostly cause I was an earth savant, and I thought having the gauntlet of earth was super cool. I wish they would bring these effects back...

These effects would start out visually weaker when you first chose your savant, then get progressively stronger appearances as you leveled up, which was also cool. Having a visual progression looks very rewarding in the cosmetic department.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Quote Originally Posted by banjo174 View Post
    When they first started making sorcerers extremely elemental focused, they added arm visual effects... I actually really preferred these effects. Mostly cause I was an earth savant, and I thought having the gauntlet of earth was super cool. I wish they would bring these effects back...

These effects would start out visually weaker when you first chose your savant, then get progressively stronger appearances as you leveled up, which was also cool. Having a visual progression looks very rewarding in the cosmetic department.
    100% agreed.

Those on-the-arm effects kicked the current ones in the pants.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Any tricks to hide it?

I noticed - after death, sometimes effect disappear but skill remains toggled. Or some rumours about Camouflage spell (didnt work for me).

Any help would be nice.

There isn't a way to toggle off the effect, without losing the stat bonuses.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post
    Elemental Apotheosis: Visual effect for my mage is visually very annoying, also i cant see my cosmetic items, etc, harder to see mobs sometimes.

Any way I can turn it off? Or reduce?
    Some things are good as they are in the game and should not be changed.
    I dont say you are wrong but I have a different opinion, you got additional benefits because your character is now an elemental and therefore the character also looks like an elemental.
    The next time someone asks if he can get the same benefits as if the character is in wolf or bear form while he still looks normal.
    Disputable is of course how a character looks like when he is an elemental, e.g. that the armor also changes the appearance is also in my opinion not essentially for the change to an elemental.
    Ideally, you would have a kind of new character models for each elemental who also can wear armor and cosmetics but that's, of course, an enormous expenditure compared to the current solution to just change the texture + additional particle effects.
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chacka_DDO View Post
    I dont say you are wrong but I have a different opinion, you got additional benefits because your character is now an elemental and therefore the character also looks like an elemental.
    The next time someone asks if he can get the same benefits as if the character is in wolf or bear form while he still looks normal.
    Disputable is of course how a character looks like when he is an elemental, e.g. that the armor also changes the appearance is also in my opinion not essentially for the change to an elemental.
    Ideally, you would have a kind of new character models for each elemental who also can wear armor and cosmetics but that's, of course, an enormous expenditure compared to the current solution to just change the texture + additional particle effects.
    The angle form in EA has the kind of armored elemental look.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Druids now get a feat called Veiled Elements which hides most of the visual effects from elemental forms. I think it would be great if Sorcerers had a similar feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Community Member

This elemental form makes things much harder to see.
    Sadly it is Air elemental form that is worst (your character now takes like 200% more space on screen, making things much harder to see).

It also gives me head-ache, this visual effect.

I only ask ability to toggle visual effect off.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    Druids now get a feat called Veiled Elements which hides most of the visual effects from elemental forms. I think it would be great if Sorcerers had a similar feat.

Why druids have it and sorceror not?

It is purely cosmetic - dont change anything in balance or gameplay. Just better visual and quality of life for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    The angle form in EA has the kind of armored elemental look.
    Yes but the armor you see is not the armor you actually wearing, you see a kind of cosmetic if you want.
    And what I say is that you could maybe have a character model for air, fire, earth and water elementals, and your character shapeshifts into this form and not only a change of the character texture.
    And these character models could wear armor and cosmetics.
    It's of course just an idea and I dont expect that to ever happen.
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

I only ask ability to toggle visual effect off.
    And exactly this is not "just only" in my opinion, you shapeshift into an elemental and this must include also that you look like an elemental.
    In the same way, you shapeshift into a wolf and then you look like a wolf.
    There may be other solutions that look better or feel better but to take away the different look of a character in elemental form would make the game simply worse in my opinion, even if it is optional.
    -Immanuel Kant-

-René Descartes-

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    100% agreed.

Those on-the-arm effects kicked the current ones in the pants.
    Throwing in my 2 coppers for this as well. I much preferred the arm cosmetic, unobtrusive and cool.

Community Member

And exactly this is not "just only" in my opinion, you shapeshift into an elemental and this must include also that you look like an elemental.
    In the same way, you shapeshift into a wolf and then you look like a wolf.
    There may be other solutions that look better or feel better but to take away the different look of a character in elemental form would make the game simply worse in my opinion, even if it is optional.
    We all have our opinions. Mine differs from yours. I would very much like a way to toggle off some of the game's visual effects. Some have an adverse effect on my ability to play the game (like the old flame body did for druids). Put me on the side of "toggle it off please."

Side note, please fix epic gianthold giants and displacement. The visual are still all out whack. If a cloud giant has displacement it begins popping up all over the place around them. Primarily on anybody that has displacement on themselves. Problem is, it gets visually thicker around your character until you can barely see anything. Toss in one of their cloud spells, and a charm icon, and you have great huge piles of flashing visual garbage all over the place.

One of the new DDO staff hotshots could probably figure out a slide bar to make the effect translucent and scalable from 0% to 100%. That would be cool!
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Community Member

Any tricks to hide it?

I noticed - after death, sometimes effect disappear but skill remains toggled. Or some rumours about Camouflage spell (didnt work for me).

Any help would be nice.
    This has been an issue for years. Sorcerers are the red headed step children of DDO, so dont hold your breath about a fix. If you want to use your capstone effect, and avoid becoming permanently cross eyed or develop chronic migraine headaches and/or epileptic fits, then here are some tips...

1) Go to adv graphic settings and set texture detail to low. This will reduce the the swirls of the effect which causes your eyes to constantly try to focus and refocus.
    2) Play the game rolled all the way into first person. No effects are present here.
    3) Finally, when you start the game turn your capstone effect on and move to a common area and type "/death". Go repair your equipment and revitalize. Now with any luck the effect's debilitating image will be gone yet the effects remain.

I have a theory. There is no person associated with game design with any real sorcerer play competency. Or if this person actually exists, then he is not very smart.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Oliphant View Post
    a slide bar to make the effect translucent and scalable from 0% to 100%. That would be cool!
    DDO would light itself on fire and jettison itself into the sea.

I think the old arm-VFX is still in here, somewhere. Part of me wonders if a toggle between "full elemental" and "arm elemental" might be better than flipping between vfx/no vfx.

I can probably quickly kick the toggle itself to make it stick around when you die while I'm waiting for this pair of boots to stop breaking, too.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    I think the old arm-VFX is still in here, somewhere. Part of me wonders if a toggle between "full elemental" and "arm elemental" might be better than flipping between vfx/no vfx.

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Greetings! It would be great if the elemental forms could be revisited with the sorc pass. The water sorc is unappealing visually and makes me think *druid*. It would be great if I could have a snow storm/snow cyclone circling me. Or at least change me into an actual water elemental, like a mob looks, but perhaps deepening the blue hue.

For Capstones... Could Water, Fire, And Air grant evasion in elemental form only, at the trade off of say 5 to 8 to all other elemental caster levels? Perhaps Acid could be an earth elemental with a significant amount of MRR and MMR cap increase added to it (Must not be in cloth or light armor).

Thanx,
    Franghasea
    Franghasea of Argonnessen
    Founder of the guild: Ischa Oti Cevil Illu Mi Nati

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast