Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Inquisitive Weapons - I'm Missing Something?

tl;dr Only two new light/heavy crossbows after debuting a fighting style that uses them exclusively?

I just got around to trying the new Inquisitive Tree. I like the dual-wielding crossbows, but I'm seriously struggling with finding any halfway decent crossbow to use with it. While there are plenty of excellent Great Crossbows (Leverage + Epic, Divine Artillery + Epic, Volley), and Repeating Crossbows (Fatal Flaw + Epic, Silver Slinger + Epic, Legendary Heavy Boltslinger), there really aren't any Light/Heavy non-repeating Crossbows. There was The Diplomancer + Epic from the Anniversary for every 5th level, but that's already over - tough luck to anyone who didn't farm for it. There's the Barovian Crossbows, but they are pretty terrible for their level. Then there's Thunderforged for 22-26 (+28 if you have the mats for it).

I figure, well if they're going to release a tree like Inquisitive then they're obviously going to give us some really solid and varied choices of weapons to use with it when Sharn debuts. But instead (and this is assuming I'm not missing something which I totally hope I am!) we got one named Light Crossbow for both level 15 and 29 (I haven't had the opportunity to check on Lamannia, so I don't know how good/bad it is) and one named Heavy Crossbow (from the raid, so I assume it's level 29 only).

If that's the case, and there are only two new crossbows for Inquisitive to use, I feel disappointed. But perhaps someone who has been on Lamannia and has used them could give some feedback on how good they are.
    I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.

Community Member

There's the obscene Ratcatcher.

Barovian is actually decent.

There's Cannith Crafting.

There's random loot, keen vorpal red slot.

Sharn should probably have two heroic and three legendary xbows

While it's too late to get it now, the Anniversary event Diplomancer light crossbow is quite good with Inquisitive.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

I see every xbow ever made as new weapons for Inquisitive because no one has ever used a xbow ever.

Ratcatcher has a great crit profile. Go get one in Threnal. It should kill stuff fast all the way to 20.

Epic is where it's not so great from I can tell, though I could be missing something.

I use a vorpal or the barovian crossbows.

I think the Bavorian is very good for the level. Level 10 with Silver and good and a red slot, that can be made to work on most mobs
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo

Well essentially every random loot crossbow in the game got doubled in power if I understand Inquisitor correctly. One is now two.
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Well essentially every random loot crossbow in the game got doubled in power if I understand Inquisitor correctly. One is now two.
    It's more like one is now 1.5.

Cannith crafting...
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

There's a pretty large gap in gear right now in general. I routinely go from level 10 to the high 20s with very little upgrading. A revamp of the old seal/shard/scroll loot would substantially help close this gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    tl;dr Only two new light/heavy crossbows after debuting a fighting style that uses them exclusively?
    Right, b/c all the old ones had been overlooked until now.

Count those in, and you've got a good mix.

Default Yeah I know it seems bleak but...

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Swift_Demise

Doesn't look bad for the level and probably up to 12/15. I made a level 20 Diplomancer for esses and gees and figured through Cannith Crafting, Heroic GS (have plenty of mats for at least one of w/e type), TF yada yada I'd be fine should I try Inq out. Have a couple rogue lives coming up. I *might* go ranged with Inq but I enjoy melee rogue too much. Prolly do Inq on a future racial life with Arti but that'll be a while down the road.

(Actually there will be better Lt and Hvy Xbows in game by the time I get around to it)
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature". Mokune (Guild Leader of Pandora's Box on Khyber), Iquitz, Returning, Thaumat, Ketzerisch, Xhiron, Koanoak et al...

Guardian
    Hero
    Crown Clown

you can also create one with eveningstar challenges, lvl 16/20/24
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

I've never made an "alchemical" weapon before, nor do I know how to do so (even the wiki confuses me lol), but I believe this would be another option?
    My take on "the grind": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6220972

Ordinary humans have inhibitions that serve as a buffer against what we know is bad behavior.
    However, some people, by blaming others for their own bad behavior, develop a thought pattern that allows them to override self-control in order to achieve a selfish end.
    - My opinion on exploiters and cheaters blaming SSG for unfair punishment.

Community Member

Greensteel still exists. I believe that is the best option for mid-heroics tomid-epic if you didn't plan ahead with diplmancer.
    The blinking Drooam "backpack" is NOT a party buff. But its fun to say it is.

They have only previewed half of the loot that Sharn will have if I recall correctly. I know there is more loot preview coming I hope there are crossbows. There were the syrianna weapons in the Sharn preview at level 15 and 29 a "easy to obtain" option like barovian/macabre/morning lord/night mother. But they will be Adamantium and construct bane and some damage procs
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Clemeit View Post
    I'm seriously struggling with finding any halfway decent crossbow to use with it.
    I'm still using Ratcatcher at L27. It handily outperforms an ML22 Thunderforged HXbow. I don't have Diplomancer, but it only has a standard crit profile, which makes it unlikely to beat Rat until late epics. I'm hoping the L29 RL xbows will outperform Rat -- they should even with standard profile.

As far as I can tell, only Epic Storm might beat Rat pre-L29. It has Critical Threat -2 v Rat but more W, Enhance, and Procs. Rat's CT+2 is pretty huge -- adds ~DPS+30% to Rat compared to Epic Storm. Storm might as well not exist, though. It's an insanely rare drop from ADQ which needs even more rare shard & seal from ADQ2. In 13 ADQ2 runs, I've only seen 1 blue, 0 shards, 0 seals. I have one storm scroll, but don't know where I acquired it.

BTW, from what I've seen in the preview, the Sharn Xbows are uninteresting except for the one that adds 2W. Very minor gains when compared to Nightmother, which can break also break DR/evil in addition to everything Sharn breaks. The only thing that would put Sharn ahead in my mind is if there's a Sharn Quiver that adds Slashing type to ranged. Then Sharn would end up breaking more interesting DRs than Nightmother, since it doesn't need epic purifying to add bludgeon (all my chars have epic purifying, which seems to rain down like candy on me when I do that quest).

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    I'm hoping the L29 RL xbows will outperform Rat -- they should
    Small update. When my inq/xbow char reached 29, I took her out to Impossible Demands to test Nightmother versus Ratcatcher. Night won by a very small margin -- just a couple seconds on the kill. The extra DR break and tiny vampirics further tipped the scale in favor of Nightmother. So, that's what she uses 29-30.

Finally got all the parts for epic storm (except storm itself). Last part likely has to wait on 20th ADQ run. I'd burn timers to get there if it was possible, but ADQ is bugged, timers don't work on it, and SSG hasn't shown interest in fixing it. So, in 30 days or so I'll post how Epic Storm compares to Ratcatcher.

Rat should beat dumb Epic Storm, but chatty Epic Storm should beat Rat. If not, well, I guess I farmed a very rare skin upgrade.

With any luck there'll be another 1 or 2 new ones added in the next update, but yeah at the moment your options are pretty limited, though Ratcatcher is a beast - unfortunately, 3 elite runs on a capped toon in the past couple of weeks & still no Ratcatcher in the end list Barovian is a good performer though & since I'm running racial reincarnations on that particular character I've invested in a rad2 light xbow & those things are still very solid.

The ones you get from eveningstar challenge turn-ins can be another potential option if you get lucky with the effects, and if you can stand the grind the ToEE crafted ones can be good too - best bet IMO is 2 or 3 full run-throughs of part 2 with a group & everyone calls a different element mushroom if you want to make it more bearable.
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 06-07-2019 at 03:30 AM.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    With any luck there'll be another 1 or 2 new ones added in the next update, but yeah at the moment your options are pretty limited, though Ratcatcher is a beast - unfortunately, 3 elite runs on a capped toon in the past couple of weeks & still no Ratcatcher in the end list
    Do a bug report, the third list should have all of the available named items.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    Do a bug report, the third list should have all of the available named items.
    that might be it then, I ran it on 3 different capped characters so I could also get the favour on them
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast