Community Member

Default Shadar Kai Ranger/Monk/Rogue vistani build?

Was considering doing a Shadar Kai Ranger/Monk/Rogue vistani build. Im aware that pure ranger would likely be better, but I dont have aasimar scourge yet and I dont want to level a melee character that gets no AOE till level 12, so was thinking of a way to do this with an iconic.

So something like 12 ranger/6 monk/2 rogue maybe. Does anyone know of a build like that?

I would look at 15 Ranger/3 Rogue/ 2 Monk (CSW + FOM) take monk around level 6 to pick up Adept/Master/Grandmaster of Froms

15 Ranger/3 Rogue/2 Monk
    L01 (ROG 01) Dodge
    L03 (RNG 02) Two Weapon Defense
    L06 (MNK 01) Adept of Forms
    L06 (MNK 01) Precision
    L07 (MNK 02) Toughness
    L09 (RNG 06) Maximize Spell
    L12 (RNG 09) Improved Critical: Pierceing
    L15 (RNG 12) Master of Forms
    L18 (RNG 15) Quicken Spell, (Grandmaster of Formsor Empower Healing Spell)
    L19 (ROG 02) No Feat
    L20 (ROG 03) No Feat
    L21 Overwhelming Critical
    L24 Grandmaster of Forms, (Quicken Spell or Empower Healing Spell or Epic Toughness)
    L26 PTWF
    L27 Empower Healing Spell, (Grandmaster of Forms or Quicken Spell or Epic Toughness or Epic Damage Reduction or Epic Reflex)
    L28 Toughens, Elusive Target, or Guardian Angel
    L29 Dire Charge
    L30 Epic Damage Reduction, (Grandmaster of Forms or Quicken Spell or Empower Healing Spell or Epic Toughness or Epic Reflex)
    L30 Scion of Ethereal Plane

Community Member

Why that split? 6 levels of monk seems to be the ideal as thats when you get +6 AC, +6% dodge and +10 movement speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Question2005 View Post
    Why that split? 6 levels of monk seems to be the ideal as thats when you get +6 AC, +6% dodge and +10 movement speed.
    I value FOM and CSW more then 6 AC Dodge, and the movement speed

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    I value FOM and CSW more then 6 AC Dodge, and the movement speed
    There's also a difference of two feats: the Martial Arts feat and the free Adept of Forms feat granted at 6. You also have the option of Shadow Veil, though DWS and Tempest may be better AP investments.

Quote Originally Posted by Discpsycho View Post
    There's also a difference of two feats: the Martial Arts feat and the free Adept of Forms feat granted at 6. You also have the option of Shadow Veil, though DWS and Tempest may be better AP investments.
    He's already taking an AP hit to Tempest and/or Stalker to go Vistani he's not going to have enough AP for shadow Veil, and I can't see about feet I would want that would be better then FOM and CSW, one of the Monk feat was already used for Toughness ...

Community Member

I dont find FOM that useful in DDO. Its pretty much only used to get past grease or sleet storm. I have an eternal flask of FOM and I have barely used it in my current monk life. Unfortunately, FOM doesnt protect you against a lot of things in DDO.

CSW...okay, but in epics you can twist cocoon which heals roughly the same amount as a heal spell IIRC for only 12 SP.

I wouldnt go deepwood stalker if taking monk levels...I mean, a huge part of the tree seems to be to get the light armor buffs, which obviously dont apply if you are taking monk levels because you need to be centered...nothing in DWS tier 2 seems relevant for a vistani tempest at all. You obviously dont need a sneak speed increase, improved weapon finess is unnecessary since tempest gives you dex to hit/damage, empathic healing is junk, and you get haste boost elsewhere...Killer at tier 4 is good but you wont have enough points to get there if doing tempest + vistani anyway...
    Last edited by Question2005; 04-08-2019 at 01:59 PM.

I dont find FOM that useful in DDO. Its pretty much only used to get past grease or sleet storm. I have an eternal flask of FOM and I have barely used it in my current monk life. Unfortunately, FOM doesnt protect you against a lot of things in DDO.

CSW...okay, but in epics you can twist cocoon which heals roughly the same amount as a heal spell IIRC for only 12 SP.

I wouldnt go deepwood stalker if taking monk levels...I mean, a huge part of the tree seems to be to get the light armor buffs, which obviously dont apply if you are taking monk levels because you need to be centered...nothing in DWS tier 2 seems relevant for a vistani tempest at all. You obviously dont need a sneak speed increase, improved weapon finess is unnecessary since tempest gives you dex to hit/damage, empathic healing is junk, and you get haste boost elsewhere...Killer at tier 4 is good but you wont have enough points to get there if doing tempest + vistani anyway...
    If you feel Cocoon is sufficient healing (150 Temp HP + 5d6 (17.5 average)) vs CSW (3d6+21 (31.5 average)) then 12/6/2 maybe what your looking for. Personally I like having the option to switch Cocoon in and out based on what I'm doing I also Like the big heal you can get from Maximized CSW, which can be even bigger if you Max and Empower Heal it.

Stalker (24 AP) is about Sneak Attack Die (4d6), Crit Threat Range (+1), Fortification Bypass (10%), Exposing Strike, and Healing Spell power (+40). Survivalist is just the cake. Yes if your doing a Tempest Vistani flavor build (daggers are a flavor choice on tempest Vistani doesn't do enough to make them better then Khopesh, Longsword with Knights Training, Scimitars, or Rapiers ) your not going to spend that much in Stalker.

Haste Boost is in Tempest not Stalker.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    If you feel Cocoon is sufficient healing (150 Temp HP + 5d6 (17.5 average)) vs CSW (3d6+21 (31.5 average)) then 12/6/2 maybe what your looking for. Personally I like having the option to switch Cocoon in and out based on what I'm doing I also Like the big heal you can get from Maximized CSW, which can be even bigger if you Max and Empower Heal it.

Stalker (24 AP) is about Sneak Attack Die (4d6), Crit Threat Range (+1), Fortification Bypass (10%), Exposing Strike, and Healing Spell power (+40). Survivalist is just the cake. Yes if your doing a Tempest Vistani flavor build (daggers are a flavor choice on tempest Vistani doesn't do enough to make them better then Khopesh, Longsword with Knights Training, Scimitars, or Rapiers ) your not going to spend that much in Stalker.

Haste Boost is in Tempest not Stalker.
    Cocoon ticks 4 times so its more like 20d6.

So this is the leveling order I came up with :

Level 1 : Rogue, Dodge
    Level 2-9 : Ranger
    Level 3 : Two Weapon Defense or Fighter Past Life (dont have rogue past life yet)
    Level 6 : Quicken
    Level 9 : Empower Healing
    Level 10-15 : Monk
    Level 10 : Monk Bonus Feat : Mobility
    Level 11 : Monk Bonus Feat : Precision
    Level 12 : Improved Critical
    Level 15 : Master of Forms, Monk Bonus Feat : Combat Expertise or Toughness

Level 18 : Grandmaster of Forms

Not having Greater 2wf or Grandmaster of forms till I get near cap would suck though.

Enhancements wise, I came up with this :

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...07/unknown.png

But the lack of MP (only 4 MP) seems like it would suck in heroics.

Also has no disables till level 29 when you can get dire charge (not a big deal though).
    Last edited by Question2005; 04-10-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Cocoon ticks 4 times so its more like 20d6.
    Only if you don't get hit, or if you're in ez content. I'm going to guess you group much more then I do.

Would think about Haste Boost from Vistani so I can take one rank of Sprint Boost from Tempest.

Guessing the missing 9 AP are in Harper for Know the Angles?

Would think about loosing two Ranks of Improved Evasion for Rank 3 DoD (this can be swapped around as needed depending on content).

But the lack of MP (only 4 MP) seems like it would suck in heroics.
    If you're taking Many Cuts you're doing Tempest wrong. Think of A Thousand Cuts as Melee Manyshot.

Also has no disables till level 29 when you can get dire charge (not a big deal though).
    Exposing Strike can help with this if you can find the 11 AP to get it and the Sneak Attack out of Stalker. Old style Deception/Improved Deception also helps.
    Last edited by Grailhawk; 04-10-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Grammer

Community Member

Its more like 7 AP free because i forgot to max out dance of death.

Does everyone take Thousand Cuts? 15s with a 90s cooldown does not seem that useful. That 4% doublestrike/MP seems better for anything that doesnt involve trying to burst down a quest boss, which is quite hard unless you have a over geared group for the content you are doing, or you have optimum raid gear and am one of the top DPS in the group.