Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Default Best defensive LGS item post-Sharn?

I'm finally getting off my ass and making a legendary greensteel item. I've been on the eternal TR/ETR hamster wheel and I'd like to try raiding/reaper endgame a bit

Suggestions on what LSG item.to start with to bump up my defenses/HP and not interfere with a "must have" gear slot like belts. I'm going to be a druid wolf caster + DPS for a while, but I'll go back to Warlock for racial lives eventually. Yes, I know those are very different. I figure my first LGS can be good for.general defense/HP and that works for everyone.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I'm finally getting off my ass and making a legendary greensteel item. I've been on the eternal TR/ETR hamster wheel and I'd like to try raiding/reaper endgame a bit

Suggestions on what LSG item.to start with to bump up my defenses/HP and not interfere with a "must have" gear slot like belts. I'm going to be a druid wolf caster + DPS for a while, but I'll go back to Warlock for racial lives eventually. Yes, I know those are very different. I figure my first LGS can be good for.general defense/HP and that works for everyone.
    So to be clear, you are asking which two slots you should make your LGS item for a "Druid Wolf Caster?"

You may need to provide more details as most Druid Casters are Fire/Water Elemental Form to synergize better with their spells. Wolf/bear is more melee oriented (i.e. DPS) and so casting is in support of melee attacks (i.e. Takedown, Maul, ect). So Caster Druid or Melee Wolf/Druid?

Caster Druid is fairly covered in the Druid Section. Melee Druid is more sparse as most still multiclass (usually with 6 levels of Cleric/FvS/or Paladin) for 2H Maul "goodness." Although the +1/+2 to DC's that Sharn is introducing should make everyone require new gear layouts :/
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

... what LSG item.to start with to bump up my defenses/HP and not interfere with a "must have" gear slot like belts. ...
    Based on what you're looking for, an Affirmation weapon sounds perfect.

Sharn hasn't gone live. Why risk when we see ninja nerfs et al. Committing to crafting just seems off.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurge View Post
    Sharn hasn't gone live. Why risk when we see ninja nerfs et al. Committing to crafting just seems off.
    I don't think there was any more real adjustments to LGS since the initial adjustments to tier3 elemental procs to include internal timers? Unless any LGS effect is extremely broken as it is and is going to be repacked into Sharn loot (like Brazen Brilliance, Salt and Vacuum) I don't think we should be expecting any changes to LGS.

Regardless I would hold off crafting an LGS until Sharn preview 2 to get a better idea of what slots I will have to spare.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis

Bounty Hunter

A 2-piece material opposition set gives you an 18% hp boost plus the bonuses of he LGS items (elemental resist or higher unconscious range)

Even considering all of everyone's gear slots could be changing, I'd still recommend building an Affirmation weapon. It's great as a temporary swap just to get the trigger, and you'd only need to use it for a few seconds or so each minute to keep up an extra 1k hp.

I think I seriously misunderstood LGS. I thought you had to have 5 pieces to get the HP 18% boost? That's why I was only going to make one item - because I know I'm not going to grind for and try to come up with slots for 5 LGS pieces.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

I think I seriously misunderstood LGS. I thought you had to have 5 pieces to get the HP 18% boost? That's why I was only going to make one item - because I know I'm not going to grind for and try to come up with slots for 5 LGS pieces.
    The hard part about LGS gear is that you need 5k runes for every piece past the first.

As far as sets go, there are 4-piece and 5-piece set bonuses, but there's also a bonus for having a bunch of the same type of augments slotted (2-piece set bonus). Each augment is made of three components, Focus/Gem/Essence, and it's those that determine set bonuses (like 4+ Ethereals gives bonus Incorporeality). You can have multiple bonuses, but some are highly restrictive (and the HP set -Opposition- is exclusive, so all augments need to be part of it).

You can get a HP bonus from two items with one augment slotted in each (10% for that). The problem is that still requires 5k runes for the 2nd item, so you usually would have 2x 3-augment items, thus 18% for two items. Each further item (that qualified) would add 6% (2% per augment) but again would cost 5k runes for each further item.

LGS weapon swaps, like Affirmation, don't count; which is why I'll also vote for it. I use my LGS maul even on my Wizard lol; pop it on, throw a spell or three, enjoy 1k temp HP as I swap back to my scepter for DC casting.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    As far as sets go, there are 4-piece and 5-piece set bonuses, but there's also a bonus for having a bunch of the same type of augments slotted (2-piece set bonus). Each augment is made of three components, Focus/Gem/Essence, and it's those that determine set bonuses (like 4+ Ethereals gives bonus Incorporeality). You can have multiple bonuses, but some are highly restrictive (and the HP set -Opposition- is exclusive, so all augments need to be part of it). ....
    See? Simple.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    See? Simple.

Alright, upon further review all that really matters for LGS sets is Essence and Gem.

Basically, all augments have two flags: an Essence (Material or Ethereal), and a Gem (Domination, Escalation, Opposition).

Qualifying for an LGS set is based on number of items and the flags contained therein. LGS set bonuses scale by number of augments (ex: 6% +2% per augment for Opposition's HP bonus, so 3 items with 3 augments each = 24% HP bonus).

With 2+ LGS items, you gain a set bonus based on whatever Gem you have in majority (so like Dom/Esc/Dom & Dom/Opp/Esc = 3x Domination = 12% SP), except for HP set which requires you to exclusively have Opposition. These sets give Spell Points (Dominion), Dodge Cap (Escalation), or Hit Points (Opposition).

With 4+ LGS gear pieces, you gain a set bonus based on the Essence flags, whichever you have more of you get that set bonus - Ethereal (bonus Incorporeality) or Material (bonus damage).

With 5+ pieces and two set bonuses (one from Gems, one from Essences) you get another set bonus. What bonus you get is determined by which two (so Escalation & Material sets= Sound & Silence 5-piece bonus).

-----

The issue is that if you want a two-piece HP set, you have to make everything out of Opposition Gems. If you want a 5-piece Ender set (as was meta for a while) you'd need a set made entirely out of Opposition gems, with a majority made out of Material Essences as well. But that Ender set would also give +HP (from Opposition 2-piece set) and +damage (from Material 4-piece set).

-----

Did that clear things up a bit?
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.

Community Member

There is a Legendary Greensteel Planning website https://ddocrafting.info/lgs/

As useful as it is, it does not appear to show you how to build and item based on Ethereal/Material/Opposition augment outcomes. Once all choices are made the recipe reveals what each chosen augment is, but I was wondering if there was a list of all the augments by tier and type (E/M/O)?

Quote Originally Posted by MaeveTuohy View Post
    There is a Legendary Greensteel Planning website https://ddocrafting.info/lgs/

As useful as it is, it does not appear to show you how to build and item based on Ethereal/Material/Opposition augment outcomes. Once all choices are made the recipe reveals what each chosen augment is, but I was wondering if there was a list of all the augments by tier and type (E/M/O)?
    Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 are all listed on the Wiki for LGS crafting. I use that to figure out what I want, then that LGS planner you linked to craft said items.

Also you can't have an Ethereal/Material anything although if you want Ethereal/Opposition gear, you get individual save bonuses (+13 Enhancement at T1, +7 Insight at T2, +2 Quality at T3). Not my favorite gearset, maybe viable for a Defensive Roll build?
    -Khysiria of Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 are all listed on the Wiki for LGS crafting. I use that to figure out what I want, then that LGS planner you linked to craft said items.

Also you can't have an Ethereal/Material anything although if you want Ethereal/Opposition gear, you get individual save bonuses (+13 Enhancement at T1, +7 Insight at T2, +2 Quality at T3). Not my favorite gearset, maybe viable for a Defensive Roll build?
    If you've got improved defensive roll you're likely an acrobat, and very likely a dex build. Last I went there I was at roughly 90 reflex saves, and gear covers +16 (Nightfall) plus insight 9 (parrying on RLoft armour), so I don't think even LGS will realistically help that.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    If you've got improved defensive roll you're likely an acrobat, and very likely a dex build. Last I went there I was at roughly 90 reflex saves, and gear covers +16 (Nightfall) plus insight 9 (parrying on RLoft armour), so I don't think even LGS will realistically help that.
    Gotta get that Quality +2 Reflex saves, improves your Defensive Roll by 20% if you're at 90 Reflex lol. More if you're a little above 90

Some of the set bonuses are a bit awkward to aim for that's what I meant by that.
    -Khysiria of Cannith

The set bonuses just aren't worth it, because the base items are so bad. Giving up two slots of good items for crappy LGS items, just for the set bonus is not a good idea.

OP, get a Legendary Affirmation item, for 1000 temp hp every minute or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

No one has said 8t yet: displacement clickies. There is nothing you can do that will increase your survivability more then displacement. The good news is you dont even need to make a full item for this. Just the base item + the clickies.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    No one has said 8t yet: displacement clickies. There is nothing you can do that will increase your survivability more then displacement. The good news is you dont even need to make a full item for this. Just the base item + the clickies.
    12 large mats for LGS clickies which only sometimes works? All these boss, reapers, champs with true sight, dispels etc etc...

Fat ass, other hand, always fat ass and works always. 8)

Are they better than heroic greensteel displacement clickies? Because I have a billion medium heroic ingredients and not nearly so many legendary. I was just going to keep making heroic displacement quarterstaffs.
    And that is beautiful
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    The set bonuses just aren't worth it, because the base items are so bad. Giving up two slots of good items for crappy LGS items, just for the set bonus is not a good idea.

OP, get a Legendary Affirmation item, for 1000 temp hp every minute or so.
    Usually I do pos/mat and neg/mat for the uncon range and blanket immunities, and I only use the set when building a tank. The elemental resistances do stack up if you want any higher HP%, but usually are not useful unless specifically targetting some of the more common DoTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfo View Post
    12 large mats for LGS clickies which only sometimes works? All these boss, reapers, champs with true sight, dispels etc etc...

Fat ass, other hand, always fat ass and works always. 8)
    Are they better than heroic greensteel displacement clickies? Because I have a billion medium heroic ingredients and not nearly so many legendary. I was just going to keep making heroic displacement quarterstaffs.
    If you want to make a displacement clicky heroic tier2 is much easier to attain and can be used at lower levels if you TR, the flags and the raid itself are relatively easy to shortman with epic characters. The LGS version is 24s longer (1:36@cl16 vs 2:00@cl20) but only somewhat useful if you keep any LGS pieces on and do not want to swap to cast it in comparison.

Someone's brought up the issue of caster levels if using a staff, but there are issues pertaining to your class allocation and more recently swapping off of a sentient weapon to use it. It may depend on the encounter but I really wouldn't expect the difference in caster level to mean much.