Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is 4k support ever going to happen?

I am begging here. 4k makes DDO look gorgeous but while the resolution looks awesome the UI doesn't scale - making it largely unusable unless you are a masochist. My 4k TV renders the hotbars at maybe 2 cm high and thats with a 55inch 4k tv screen. On a smaller monitor - well, for me at least its unreadable.

I've no real idea how long my buffs last as the icons are so small I can barely read the timer and thats squinting.

Pls pls pls with sugar and eggs and bacon and chipotle and hundreds and thousands, marshmallow and cream whip on top - can we get some sort of scaleable UI like LotRO?

You will not believe how awesome the game looks and runs in 4k. Its a crying shame its largely unusable due to the microscopic UI!

Quote Originally Posted by Amorais View Post
    I am begging here. 4k makes DDO look gorgeous but while the resolution looks awesome the UI doesn't scale - making it largely unusable unless you are a masochist. My 4k TV renders the hotbars at maybe 2 cm high and thats with a 55inch 4k tv screen. On a smaller monitor - well, for me at least its unreadable.

I've no real idea how long my buffs last as the icons are so small I can barely read the timer and thats squinting.

Pls pls pls with sugar and eggs and bacon and chipotle and hundreds and thousands, marshmallow and cream whip on top - can we get some sort of scaleable UI like LotRO?

You will not believe how awesome the game looks and runs in 4k. Its a crying shame its largely unusable due to the microscopic UI!
    Largely depends on their icon assets and consistency of size/quality. It is actually not hard to script these days an auto bitmap trace, alias "contour trace" with okay results, yeah it will be mixed and not as great as if hand adjusted by an artist but due to the massive amounts of icons, it could worth a try.

Adjusting the actualy x.y coords on the layout should technically not be too hard, but that expects fully well built layouts, and a friendly descriptive UI language.

I have done some bitmap to vector work like this, but ended up needing "some" hand adjustments here and there, it still saved me days, and the quality was alright between some constraints.

Community Member

I was wondering earlier if some third party tools could be used.

Screen magnifiers exist for visually impaired, they take a portion of screen (let's say buffs and debuffs) and magnify it. You can place the zoomed section somewhere on your screen.

For hotbars probably something different could be used. Can some overlay be slapped over DDO, detecting clicking and perhaps passing it to ddo a unique key combination.

Maybe something based on AutoIt or similar tools.

I could see it working in theory...

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    I was wondering earlier if some third party tools could be used.

Screen magnifiers exist for visually impaired, they take a portion of screen (let's say buffs and debuffs) and magnify it. You can place the zoomed section somewhere on your screen.

For hotbars probably something different could be used. Can some overlay be slapped over DDO, detecting clicking and perhaps passing it to ddo a unique key combination.

Maybe something based on AutoIt or similar tools.

I could see it working in theory...
    Real time tracing would be very expensive, and interpolation would make the images very blurry at +50% and above.

Community Member

So I played today a bit with AutoHotkey and UCR and zoom plugin. It's not exactly sexy but it kinda works. Of course, this is only for passive zooming of icons, this would not work for buttons (or maybe it would if set up by someone who knows what they are doing).

I downloaded these two things.
    https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12249
    https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/vi...p?f=19&t=24538

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

So I played today a bit with AutoHotkey and UCR and zoom plugin. It's not exactly sexy but it kinda works. Of course, this is only for passive zooming of icons, this would not work for buttons (or maybe it would if set up by someone who knows what they are doing).
    You could do it with locked hotbars etc, set a click in one spot (the zoomed hotbar) to land on another spot (the actual hotbar). Would be kind of a pain and have to be customized for your layout (or would require a bit more setup than I'm interested in) but it seems possible using only AHK.
    Last edited by SpartanKiller13; 04-09-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

<snipped image>

I downloaded these two things.
    https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12249
    https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/vi...p?f=19&t=24538
    +1 rep.

Could work as a temporary solution but we really need in-game UI scaling. Even if its only 2 settings or something.