Thread: Augments

Default Augments

Specifically referring to a comment I posted on Sharn Preview 1, with a couple initial ideas as a sort of showcase for possibilities:

Emerald of Healing Amplification - Green Slot augment only, bonus to positive heal amp that scales with level.
    Emerald of Evasion - Green Slot only, bonus to Dodge that scales with level
    Emerald of Safety - Green Slot only, Lifesealed that scales with level

Amber of Deception - Orange Slot only, Deception (the old one that bluffs, not the sneak atk/dmg buff), ML16? ML12?
    Amber of Holy Fire - Orange Slot only, Good damage flag, on-hit fire damage that scales with level
    Amber of Death - Orange Slot only, Vorpal, ML10? ML20 for Improved?

Amethyst of Energy - Purple Slot only, Transform Kinetic Energy, ML20?
    Amethyst of Power - Purple Slot only, bonus to caster level with all spells, that scales with level (maybe... +1 for ML10, +2 for ML19, +3 for ML28)
    Amethyst of Magic - Purple Slot only, bonus to spell pen that scales with level

Ruby of Piercing - Piercing damage flag

Sapphire of Shielding - damage reduction that scales with level

Hell, make them raid drops if you want, or trade-ins for named items that have the abilities themselves, or threads, tokens, I don't care. I'm just throwing the idea out there for expansion on a system that gets included with almost every update yet still misses a lot of much needed attention.
    Last edited by ThreadNecromancer; 04-04-2019 at 07:40 AM.

These sound pretty good, I do agree it feels like Augments are a forgotten method for customization.

Colorless, Blue, Yellow, Red, Green, Orange, and Purple, quite a few combinations to add to gear and really make an item your "own".

Maybe even adding a Metalline or Aligned Orange augment would really open up some weapons.

I really hoped that when Master's Gift came out, there would have been a way to crafted other Trinkets into Augments

Community Member

The augment system definitely needs an overhaul. +7 to a stat at lvl 24, when you can get that at lvl 13? That just ain't right.

Default Augument revamp please...

It is ok that the augments have lower values on the effects in comparison to respective effects on the items.
    The big pro is that you are more flexible and can fill in missing effects in your overall gearing.
    Nevertheless, they need a revamp....
    For example slightly higher the values or even make them have no ML and scale.
    e.g. level/3 = attribute and level/2 = skill
    Argonessen - Guild: "Married with Children" / Clagor Dan - Elf - Tempest (12 Ranger / 6 Barbarian / 2 Rogue) / Glagor Dan - Drow - Pale Master (18 Wizard / 2 Rogue)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by clagor View Post
    It is ok that the augments have lower values on the effects in comparison to respective effects on the items.
    The big pro is that you are more flexible and can fill in missing effects in your overall gearing.
    Nevertheless, they need a revamp....
    For example slightly higher the values or even make them have no ML and scale.
    e.g. level/3 = attribute and level/2 = skill
    It's a big problem if the effect difference is that enormous. A lvl 23 item provides +11 strength, thats +6 more than the augment does 1 lvl higher. If unslotting them were free, maybe; but its hardly worth the effort and expense of getting that +7 or +8 augment for a tiny bonus to a dump stat.

I think the augment system should have maximum stats 2 expansions behind the current. So for Sharn that would look something like stats you could get in slavers. Also insightful and quality augments would help reduce gear upgrade pangs each expansion.

Good ideas so far. I was initially thinking just simpler things for augments, like the Emerald of Heal Amp, but we could get more creative with this stuff, just to throw ideas out there:

Unlimited Power Gemstone - Named Amethyst - +2 Necro DC, lightning damage AoE (with visual) added to offensive spells

Torch of Defiance - Named Amber - +2 Evocation DC, fire damage AoE (with visual) added to offensive spells

Gutter Trash - Named Emerald - percent max health regeneration

Unstoppable Rage - Named Ruby - Running across terrain provides an increasing damage bonus to your next melee attack. Damage bonus doubles if you take damage before attacking.

What I'm really getting at here for expansion on the system is not just more augments, but augments that do things we haven't seen on augments before. Not just more piddly little bumps to stats.
    Last edited by ThreadNecromancer; 04-05-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Another little idea: A named augment version of a minor artifact.

nice suggestions

for colorless—
    1) Augment of mastering: boosts skill bonuses on item by ML%. So an item that is ML20 with Search 20/spot 20 will become Search 24/spot 24
    2) Cursed augments—bonus to one skill=ML of item and penalty to another=ML of item. Totally random. Some might be really good : Bluff augment of Cursed Intimidation

Blue
    1) Permanent protection from evil, ML 12
    2) Permanent Bless, ML 8
    3) Permanent Shield as spell, ML 12

Not OP as you can just cast this stuff from a scroll—this is QoL like Featherfall and resist Topazs

Yellow
    1) cursed ones like colorless above but relating to elemental resists
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    nice suggestions

for colorless—
    1) Augment of mastering: boosts skill bonuses on item by ML%. So an item that is ML20 with Search 20/spot 20 will become Search 24/spot 24
    2) Cursed augments—bonus to one skill=ML of item and penalty to another=ML of item. Totally random. Some might be really good : Bluff augment of Cursed Intimidation

Blue
    1) Permanent protection from evil, ML 12
    2) Permanent Bless, ML 8
    3) Permanent Shield as spell, ML 12

Not OP as you can just cast this stuff from a scroll—this is QoL like Featherfall and resist Topazs

Yellow
    1) cursed ones like colorless above but relating to elemental resists
    Cursed augments is a very interesting idea... like a fire absorb augment that has a ridiculously high value but also gives you a 'weakness' to cold that acts like a negative cold absorption value.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
    I think the augment system should have maximum stats 2 expansions behind the current. So for Sharn that would look something like stats you could get in slavers. Also insightful and quality augments would help reduce gear upgrade pangs each expansion.
    Second that, the current discrepancy is just too big.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

On the tracks of Meridian Fragment each Metamagic could have a gem to reduce the costs, and maybe increase some potential on some event, not necessarily guard effects as those tend to not really work on higher difficulty, maybe a 2-5% flat chance "on cast" or "on spell crit" ~10%.

Another little idea, along the same vein as the Ruby Eyes. What if all augments scaled with the ML of the item they're put into?

e.g. Diamond of Charisma / Insightful Diamond of Charisma / Quality Diamond of Charisma / Exceptional Diamond of Charisma
    Item ML 1-3 = Cha +1 Enhancement
    Item ML 4-7 = Cha +2 Enhancement
    Item ML 8-11 = Cha +3 Enhancement / +1 Insight
    Item ML 12-15 = Cha +4 Enhancement / +2 Insight
    Item ML 16-19 = Cha +5 Enhancement / +3 Insight / +1 Quality
    Item ML 20-23 = Cha +6 Enhancement / +4 Insight / +2 Quality
    Item ML 24-27 = Cha +7 Enhancement /+5 Insight / +3 Quality / +1 Exceptional
    Item ML 28-30 = Cha +8 Enhancement / +6 Insight / +4 Quality / +2 Exceptional

I feel so dirty coming up with ideas for 'GIMME MOAR STATSSS' ... ugh.

This is just an example of scaling stat augments. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Last edited by ThreadNecromancer; 04-11-2019 at 06:48 AM.