Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Looking for a staff build

I was looking to do a staff build, mostly to just TR with a few lives for fun. I have the TOEE paralyzing staff, and for a L7, it's a pretty nice staff.. seems it would work into the mid-teens.

The lives are for racial PL, and I know the current gig is sorc or rogue assassin, but I didn't want to run the same life over and over. I just did 3 human warlock, and want something "different". Never done staffs, and haven't really found any staff build I hadn't already thought about.. so.. coming here..

Any thoughts on a R1/2 heroic staff build that can solo if needed? (I do prefer groups, but can't always get them).

Tx

Quote Originally Posted by aGarde View Post
    I was looking to do a staff build, mostly to just TR with a few lives for fun. I have the TOEE paralyzing staff, and for a L7, it's a pretty nice staff.. seems it would work into the mid-teens.

The lives are for racial PL, and I know the current gig is sorc or rogue assassin, but I didn't want to run the same life over and over. I just did 3 human warlock, and want something "different". Never done staffs, and haven't really found any staff build I hadn't already thought about.. so.. coming here..

Any thoughts on a R1/2 heroic staff build that can solo if needed? (I do prefer groups, but can't always get them).

Tx
    Honestly... Staves aren't in the best place as of late, however I am not sure how much better you can get, than doing pure rogue. *shrugs*, it does depend on what you want to do. If you are just TRing at level 20, then there are better options for staff builds, however if you are going to level 30, nothing will compare to just doing a pure rogue.

If you are looking to just TR at level 20 however... The generic rule is to have at least 4 levels of rogue in the build. This will get you QUICK STRIKES from thief acrobat, as well as, KILLER from assassin. Although it really depends on what you want in the build.

Some could argue that assassins trick is very useful so you could go 6 levels of rogue to get that from the assassin tree. A lot of the speed leveling potential will come from fighter and barbarian levels though. These 2 classes just add so much in terms of survivability and DPS.

Fighter adding things like
    Feats
    Melee Power
    Liquid courage
    Extra Action boosts
    Stalwart Defense
    Critical Multiplier & Threat range

Barbarian Adding things like
    An extra cleave
    Blood Tribute (Enough to keep me alive in r1 level 1-20)
    Sprint boost
    +2W from crazy strikes.

It is really just what you want, do you want level 1-20, or level 1-30.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Community Member

Default Call to Soundburst (Heroic Staffy)

Nerfed in update 42, taking build down. Also don't believe nerfs to pure classes due to multiclassing is healthy for game.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 09-26-2019 at 10:16 AM.

I haven't broken down the details, but a build that was highly recommended (and from a reliable source) is an 18 Monk, 1 Rogue, 1 Druid Henshin monk.

To (mostly) quote...

"... tons of healing every 6 seconds as well as stellar defenses... Dex-based makes you pretty much immortal in heroics it seems, and that build does an absolutely stupid amount of damage.

Rogue first for attack speed with q-staves. Take the level of Druid whenever for Ram's Might and Shillelagh, and the rest into Monk. DEX based in Wind Stance - just does bonkers damage in heroics, you can clear most mobs entirely with both cleaves. Dark monk so that you can get Shadows Cannot Exist Without Light and just so much healing which is helpful even in reaper.

If you want to optimize then you'd do at least 4 Rogue levels just for the staff damage enhancements in Acrobat - the damage ends up being just insane with that and you only really need 6 Monk for Shadow Fade anyway. I just like getting Abundant Step asap, and I use the Freezing Ice Blood and Karmic Strike enough to just go Monk instead."

Haven't tried it myself, but on that endorsement I'm a'gonna!

Community Member

Acrobat is pretty well self-contained, your main issue will be lack of access to healing. I personally had no trouble running low reapers on a pure acro with a heal hire, but quarterstaves is also the longest time I've ever spent with any single weapon in the game so YMMV.

Tilo knows his soundburst well, and some of the other selfheal capable builds sound solid. Otherwise I went for a pure dex build with precision and no PA/cleaves, let me know if that still sounds like your sort of thing, I'll post what I remember of the build.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Sunny Cleric (transient) | Nantekottai/Stuck in TR (again) | Ponoka - Sub.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    Tilo knows his soundburst well, and some of the other selfheal capable builds sound solid. Otherwise I went for a pure dex build with precision and no PA/cleaves, let me know if that still sounds like your sort of thing, I'll post what I remember of the build.
    yes, always interested. Wisdom, Dex, or Str are what i'm considering. Not sure how to sonic stun lock mobs w/o some levels of caster tho. {edit} I brain farted the stun lock thing. I get it with the cleric levels.

For a pure dex build, do you go whirlwind attack then? A quick build looked like I couldn't get I.Crit until L15, which seems late in the game. Wondering if the TOEE staff works all the way to L20.
    Last edited by aGarde; 04-03-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Community Member

yes, always interested. Wisdom, Dex, or Str are what i'm considering. Not sure how to sonic stun lock mobs w/o some levels of caster tho. {edit} I brain farted the stun lock thing. I get it with the cleric levels.

For a pure dex build, do you go whirlwind attack then? A quick build looked like I couldn't get I.Crit until L15, which seems late in the game. Wondering if the TOEE staff works all the way to L20.
    Human Rog20
    Str 12 (will need +5 tome)
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 14
    Wis 8
    Cha 8

1 Dodge Mobilty
    3 Precision
    6 THF
    9 Spring attack
    12 IC:B
    15 ITHF
    18 GTHF

Rog feats Opportunist, Imp. Evasion, Slippery Mind, Defensive Roll
    If you don't intend to run much epics/legendary it's ok to drop the feat and related enhancement.

Only cleave I used was the acrobat Sweeping Strikes. Glances are -ok- unless you're running higher reapers and bring spare staves because they break quick. If you don't have a spare E. Bloom things like Theurgic staff (expanded crit, adamantine) are easy to get, works as a secondary weapon and golem beater. Light Unending (from Archon's Trial) is an absolute beast when doing outsider content. Dreamspitter is good for oozes and rusties (glass).

You should have some usable AC in heroics (better still if you have your martial lives done), plus some dodge should give you relatively decent durability. Hood of Unrest + Imp Uncanny are good for some dodge bursts during beatdowns. You -will- need to bring a pocket healer or be prepared to back out sometimes for serious heal scrolling.

Reflexes and trap skills so traps are completely no brainer.

EDIT: Enhancements is essentially anything that doesn't look useless on acrobat tree + assassin's trick, most others are optional and tweaks for epics such as shifting haste boost to LD and taking KTA for additional damage/Dire DC.

EDITEDIT: Barring any major changes to TA and staves this is probably/roughly what I will be going back to again at some point, but I'm already done with Rogue and Human lives so might be a while... or I might do it on a different race with some feat/stat tweaks.
    Last edited by askrj1; 04-04-2019 at 04:50 AM.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Eushully/Sunny Cleric (transient) | Nantekottai/Stuck in TR (again) | Ponoka - Sub.

Community Member

For novelty, you could also consider Rog 2 / Wizard 18 EK, int-based. Staves are all about fast attack speed, and the extra elemental damage on hit synergizes nicely.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    For novelty, you could also consider Rog 2 / Wizard 18 EK, int-based. Staves are all about fast attack speed, and the extra elemental damage on hit synergizes nicely.
    I actually had that idea for a bit to use for a wiz life at some point, but kind of backed out of it after some feat and gearing issues testing a khopesh SWF EK... though I did try to squeeze more casting than what the build was worth, so if you just played straight melee I guess it wouldn't be too hard.

Banjo174 states, q-staffs are not in a good place. That being said, probably the best staff build I have seen remains 18/2 Rogue/Monk.

Rogue, Monk, Monk, Rogue....

Going on memory

Max Dex + level ups

Halfling allows you to use Healing Mark (if for racials).
    Elf gives you Displacement.
    Take DM @1, Precision @2, and Spring Attack @9

Aasimar - LoH
    Dragonborn - Take a hit to Dex but AoE elemental spell damage

1 - Precision
    2m - THF
    3 - Dodge
    3m - Mobility
    6 - Adept of Forms
    9 - iTHF (or Spring Attack)
    12 - IC: Bludgeon
    15 - Master of Forms
    18 - GMoF

The biggest draw back you are going to face is that q-staffs durability is horrible. You have great defensive and single target offensive capabilities though.
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

Community Member

I see both builds going with THF, but I'm wondering if whirlwind isn't better.. especially with the way the game throws "mobs" at you. I also like the 2 monk version when playing with different builds in the builder. Fighter looked ok for a 3rd class, but I don't think the crit bonuses from kensai stack with the rogue enhancement.

I still think best staff is pure henshin
    But it's mostly for epics with cauldron of flame
    You also get instakill in quivering palm
    Thf with pa and cleaves
    Whirlwind is for wraps
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Banjo174 states, q-staffs are not in a good place. That being said, probably the best staff build I have seen remains 18/2 Rogue/Monk.

Rogue, Monk, Monk, Rogue....

Going on memory

Max Dex + level ups

Halfling allows you to use Healing Mark (if for racials).
    Elf gives you Displacement.
    Take DM @1, Precision @2, and Spring Attack @9

Aasimar - LoH
    Dragonborn - Take a hit to Dex but AoE elemental spell damage

1 - Precision
    2m - THF
    3 - Dodge
    3m - Mobility
    6 - Adept of Forms
    9 - iTHF (or Spring Attack)
    12 - IC: Bludgeon
    15 - Master of Forms
    18 - GMoF

The biggest draw back you are going to face is that q-staffs durability is horrible. You have great defensive and single target offensive capabilities though.
    If youre going 18/2... You might as well multi class more. You are giving up the 20th core from rogue which is a HUGE addition, letting you dps 2 things at once, instead of 1 thing, basically doubling your dps.

Not to mention the added 5% attack speed, added 2 sneak attack dice, among other things.

When looking at over all dps power with staves... Nothing beats a pure rogue.

That being said, there are builds that are more survivable with staves... But something you have to consider is, a lot of the dps potential from staves, since the weapon sucks. Is from the speed and sneak attack from that speed. So, any loss in these 2 areas will hurt your dps badly.
    Last edited by banjo174; 04-04-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

You need 2 levels of Rogue for Thief Acrobatics (15% q-staff attack speed) and Quick Strike (25% doublestrike) and Haste Boost is great too.

You can get Quick Strike from 2 levels of monk as well, but you miss out on Thief Acrobatics, so I'd go with Rogue.

Plus trap skills are good.

After that you can do what ever you want. Fighter levels, monk levels, barbarian levels.

If I was you I'd do two levels of barbarian for blood tribute.. That 150 temp hp is huge in reaper.

So 2/2 rogue/barb, and then whatever you want... more rogue, more barb, fighter, whatever. A raging barb/rogue with a q-staff is pretty solid. So is a tactics-based fighter/rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    If I was you I'd do two levels of barbarian for blood tribute.. That 150 temp hp is huge in reaper.
    Agreed, Blood Tribute is super powerful. Its enough healing for me to get through 1-20 without anything else. Also, its a nice cushion of HP in epics, using blood tribute and cocoon for the temp HP.

Community Member

thanks, this is just a "for fun heroics build".. I'm not taking it to L30, although I'll probably go to 21 or 22 as I'm trying to get tokens to TR. Doing the same build over and over is not my idea of fun. I'm doing racial past lives for a bit, then will take something to 30, but I kinda refuse to do 15 lives of the same build.

I like the idea of barb tossed in. I did 2 monk for some extra monkey stuff, and the 2 extra feats. I'll have to go revisit this. thanks!

Community Member

thanks, this is just a "for fun heroics build".. I'm not taking it to L30, although I'll probably go to 21 or 22 as I'm trying to get tokens to TR. Doing the same build over and over is not my idea of fun. I'm doing racial past lives for a bit, then will take something to 30, but I kinda refuse to do 15 lives of the same build.

I like the idea of barb tossed in. I did 2 monk for some extra monkey stuff, and the 2 extra feats. I'll have to go revisit this. thanks!
    If just for heroics I'd say play around a little, there's no reason you can't cap, just keep in mind your alignments for monk and barb.

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    I still think best staff is pure henshin
    But it's mostly for epics with cauldron of flame
    You also get instakill in quivering palm
    Thf with pa and cleaves
    Whirlwind is for wraps
    I thought quivering palm is hands/wraps only? Stick can use it???

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post
    I thought quivering palm is hands/wraps only? Stick can use it???
    Since Update 19.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    Thf with pa and cleaves
    I'm not a huge fan of using cleaves with sticks because the cleave animation is relatively slow compared to staff swings and cleaves do not proc doublestrike.

It might be a little better for monk but from experience a rogue main/pure build will not have enough feats between THF and the dodges to actually squeeze in PA/cleave, besides that precision gives you better to-hit and fort-pierce for the sneaks. You also can squeeze some AoE onto pure acrobats with the 2targets/hit after tumbling. If you can attain usable AC CE is also a nice bump for mitigation, which again locks out PA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast