Community Member

Default Seeking Counseling for a Hoarder !

Greetings everyone, I need some advice on how to help a friend with their hoarding. D: My TR partner has ALL the character slots they can possibly get, yet they want more. DX I wish to save them from themselves. It became apparent that she had a problem when, after purchasing the Ultimate Fan bundle for Sharn, she informed me she used for new toon slot to make a mule to hold gear for her mules !!!!!! D: She has a problem people ! Help me save her from herself.

Lurea of Orien
    ( All Hail the Frog Army o/ )

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lurea View Post
    Greetings everyone, I need some advice on how to help a friend with their hoarding. D: My TR partner has ALL the character slots they can possibly get, yet they want more. DX I wish to save them from themselves. It became apparent that she had a problem when, after purchasing the Ultimate Fan bundle for Sharn, she informed me she used for new toon slot to make a mule to hold gear for her mules !!!!!! D: She has a problem people ! Help me save her from herself.

Lurea of Orien
    Ask her for her login and password.
    Delete her mules while she sleeps.
    She will wake up horrified and mad as hell.....she will hate you..... but after six months of collecting it all over again she will thank you for giving her life purpose again??????

My wife agreed to this simple rule.... if you bring something new into the house something also has to go out..
    Plus I throw stufff out when she is not looking... lots of things get lost around here

Lurea of Orien
    Well, I am not sure how we can help, really. I can give you the number of an associate of mine. She specializes in disorders.
    If she got so many toons I am pretty sure she got things double and triple. Maybe start there and delete/deconstruct/sell doubles.
    After that toss everything she can get her hands on easily and what's total ****.
    If xyou want a solution for more bank space. Transfer everything that is not bound to a 2nd acc and a 3rd and a 4th and so on.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

Use the KonMari method to help them declutter.

Does this item spark joy? If not, thank it before selling/deleting it.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

You might be able to convince them to feed some stuff to a sentient item. I got rid of a bunch of junk that way myself.
    Just with there was a for-plat augment destroyer or an augment of nothing, so I could consume a bunch more junk that happens to have augments in it.

Community Member

Default All thoughts appreciated

Thank you so much for your ideas. XD As much as I'd like to get her password she has it guarded like Fort Knox. And believe it or not she did feed a few gems, but sadly she has filled those spots up twice over. -_- I will just have to beg DDO to allow more character slots, then maybe one day she will simply get lost in her chaos.

Lurea of Orien

Default Where is my shot of bourbon and a cigarette when saying i don't have a problem....>.>

But but but but Lurea..... I don’t have a problem... I just need more slots. Another 20-30 would be wonderful...I know they can do it, Cordovan has 100 available on his admin account...

I could get everything I wanted sorted out there... I could split my cosmetics down into three toons.. 1 for hats, 1 for cloaks, 1 for armor/robes.. thank goodness they aren’t doing anything for shoes!!!

So the new mule is for farming gear and holding stuff shuffled from the mule needing storage to the one to hold it so my shared box isn’t cluttered.

It’s tidy.

I don’t have a hoarding problem... >.>

1 kraken airship, 1 windspyre falcon, 39 mules, 2 test bed characters (turned XP jewel mules), 4 active toons.. see this isn’t a hoarding issue..

<.< don’t know what you mean...

Btw frog army is the rebel alliance and should be expunged..

Quote: Pestilence. Can tell Z is hunting the frogs. I see a little puff of smoke and know that a fireball has found a frog

Quote Originally Posted by awar1234 View Post
    Ask her for her login and password.
    Delete her mules while she sleeps.
    She will wake up horrified and mad as hell.....she will hate you..... but after six months of collecting it all over again she will thank you for giving her life purpose again??????
    Six months?!??!?!??!?

My stuff is hoar... collected from 9 years!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TitusOvid View Post
    Well, I am not sure how we can help, really. I can give you the number of an associate of mine. She specializes in disorders.
    If she got so many toons I am pretty sure she got things double and triple. Maybe start there and delete/deconstruct/sell doubles.
    After that toss everything she can get her hands on easily and what's total ****.
    If xyou want a solution for more bank space. Transfer everything that is not bound to a 2nd acc and a 3rd and a 4th and so on.
    If it’s actual named gear etc and it's all individual, I have a huge ASCII file with everything listed there (okay, so I’m OCD on lists) along with my crafting storage, but all those have to be double, triple, quadruple, etc.

I try to adhere to condom theory. "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"
    Orien: Level 400 Cannith Crafter
    (*) - Crafter Advert for Orien

"The 'forever' rogue"

Thank you so much for your ideas. XD As much as I'd like to get her password she has it guarded like Fort Knox. And believe it or not she did feed a few gems, but sadly she has filled those spots up twice over. -_- I will just have to beg DDO to allow more character slots, then maybe one day she will simply get lost in her chaos.

Lurea of Orien
    ChAoS is goood

And i have... (thinking, and counting on gnomish fingers).... 5 items to 20k Sentient XP... working on my 6th.

And the reason why is i spend a lot of time eTRing, and like to use weapons for that "leveling period". Eventually when I am doing with epics for a while and go to racials, then i'll switch across the jewels for my potential raid farmers to use while they level.. and when they are done and parked at 30, and it goes on.

see, method in the madness

"The 'forever' rogue"

Greetings everyone, I need some advice on how to help a friend with their hoarding.
    "A friend" - okay, sure, whatever...

You - erm, "your friend" needs to decide what they will realistically use in the foreseeable future, and dump the rest on the AH for plat. Gotta get realistic about it - if you aren't going to go for those Dwarf past lives soon, dump the Dwaxes - just do it.

They can use that plat to buy +2 Tomes, which should be some incentive.

(And if they want, they can sell the +2 Tomes for a few shards, and accumulate those to buy larger tomes, the ones you rarely/never see on the AH.)

Also (altho' it's risky), they can make a F2P account and get +3 free slots for non-bound gear. At worst, that will free up a couple slots on their main account.

Community Member

Default Denial :(

You have a problem Zavina. You must seek help ! Orien can only support so many hoarders. We must break the cycle. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Otherwise it's denial.

Get out of the river, Z !

You're only saving grace will be if other people admit here all the stuff that they hang on too as well.

Let's take a vote. What is " TOO MANY " character slots ?

Lurea of Orien

I support the idea of hoarding, I personally have 23 mules. I should have more mules...
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Community Member

Default Moar slotses

Lurea of Orien
    I, too have all 48 slots! And I want moar!

I have no mules.

She doesn't need saving.
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

I would prefer to have 10 bank tabs for each of my characters, so I'd have fewer characters to keep track of; but I'm a weirdo!
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Lurea of Orien
    Hi my name is Livmo and I'm a hoarder.

It could be worse, https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...n-and-Storage)

I hoard for several reasons. Mainly I like to fill needs. I give more away than I hoard, but I still have the problem.

Sentient Weapons and the revised Cannith Crafting system saved my life. Anything that wasn't Mythic bonus got feed to my Sentient weapons with a few exceptions. The old and new loot gen got recycled to build crafting levels on moar than 1 account. I did keep some of the finer specimens.

I still have my fleet of airships and I keep my storage to that. Almost 100% of my toons are now playable and I have allot!

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    <speaks from the circle of chairs>

Hi Livmo!

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    I had considered the multiple airship route. Lurea had jokingly made a comment about multiple airships after I had told her of your post months ago.

I think it would take too long. Say 12-15 airships each to GL 20 (19, once the toon doing the leveling leaves). 80 slots per airship. Each airship equipped with oriens express & guild storage I.

"The 'forever' rogue"

This is a common struggle for players - what to keep and what to part with.

The other struggle is where do you start when you are ready to declutter.

One piece of advice I give out is to start simple.

1. Anything you can earn as a guaranteed end reward that you are not using this life or next life should be at the top of your list to part with
    2. Next evaluate the "To Good To Use" consumables - Either Use them, or Sell them. If you hold onto them they have no value, especially if you just keep getting a bigger and bigger pile of "Koragon's Tasty Ham" - The Bestamus Ham ever
    3. Duplicates - How many of something do you actually need - BtA items especially, if you would only need one version at any given time

From that point it is going to be what you can bear to part with.

Good Luck and may your road to decluttering bring you joy in finding you have an unexpected/forgotten item that you really want to use

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeDatRogue View Post
    I had considered the multiple airship route...

I think it would take too long...
    I did this, went to 50+(!) on my "main" storage ship for GS II (40 items/chest, x4 chests), and 19 on 2 others. Level 19 is trivial* if you can run Sagas w/ a pot, and pots are free a few times/year.

(* Guild Level 19 is 342,950 Renown. The lowest level Saga (Lvl 4-7, which you can casually crush in less than 2 hours w/ an over-level character) will give you something like 140k renown w/ a +20% pot, so only 3 runs (or 1 run multiboxing two Level 4(+) pikers from alt accounts!). On a +50% Guild Bonus Weekend that's only 2 runs. Do one, wait for the weekend, turn it in and do another, done. And that includes room to lose 10% when that alt quits.)

Don't forget that 1) you want 6 accounts, even if 5 are dummy F2P accounts w/ only 1 new alt that doesn't ever do anything else except populate the guild, and 2) you don't want "all" your main alts to leave the Guild - you need at least 1 drone to shuffle gear to/from those chests.

I also throw my Favor runners into those guilds before their run - it all adds up, and you lose no renown if the character is "deleted" instead of "leaves" the guild. Since I'm not an officer in a guild, I have the Chronoscope on one of the ships, and buff all runners w/ that for city run speed boost.

(@ newer players: For full explanation of this, see: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5501639 )
    Last edited by C-Dog; 04-05-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: clean up double-quote, added some links

You have a problem Zavina. You must seek help ! Orien can only support so many hoarders. We must break the cycle. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Otherwise it's denial.

Get out of the river, Z !

You're only saving grace will be if other people admit here all the stuff that they hang on too as well.

Let's take a vote. What is " TOO MANY " character slots ?

Lurea of Orien
    Hah, zav got bitten by the horde bug also...

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    <speaks from the circle of chairs>

Hi Livmo!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeDatRogue View Post
    I had considered the multiple airship route. Lurea had jokingly made a comment about multiple airships after I had told her of your post months ago.
    Nice! You can build just 2-3 little ships and use that for all storage. It would free up all those mules to play them or delete them, etc. I was able to delete multiple toons on 10 of my accounts after Sentients landed.

It's actually hard for me to do, but I always feel positive after a Sentient weapon feeding session. Especially when I open up new Philligree slots. You know why? Because I'm freaking hoarding Philligrees now! Although it reads like I say it in jest, I really am hoarding them. I have an everything bag, a rare bag, and Livmo's personal stash bag of phillies.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    I did this, went to 50+(!) on my "main" storage ship for GS II, and 19 on 2 others. Level 19 is trivial* if you can run Sagas w/ a pot, and pots are free a few times/year.

(* Guild Level 19 is 342,950 Renown. The lowest level Saga (Lvl 4-7, which you can casually crush in less than 2 hours w/ an over-level character) will give you something like 140k renown w/ a +20% pot, so only 3 runs (or 1 run multiboxing two Level 4 pikers!). On a +50% Guild Bonus Weekend that's only 2 runs. Do one, wait for the weekend, turn it in and do another, done. And that includes room to lose 10% when that alt quits.)

Don't forget that 1) you want 6 accounts, even if 5 are dummy F2P accounts w/ only 1 new alt that doesn't do anything else except populate the guild, and 2) you don't want "all" your main alts to leave the Guild - you need at least 1 drone to shuffle gear to/from those chests.
    C-Dog (great info.) should add this to the wall of knowledge (guide) and I should probably do some screenie updates to Hair Dye, then maybe a Ham, Box of Chocolates, and/or Boquet shot. Or might link to the post, etc.

One of my favorite freebies of week is the Greater Guild Renoun Elixer that I save for Saga turn-ins. It can be a chore, but I log in all of my accounts to get one when it's the freebie of the week.

EDIT ~ New screenie at https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6199224.

Also I hoard toons, but that is a story for another day. I only deleted the toons I didn't want to play after I emptied them : ) )
    Last edited by Livmo; 04-04-2019 at 09:44 PM.