Default Inquisitive Artificer

The new Inquisitive tree has arrived and I am giving it a thorough try out by making it the main tree for my main characters next life level 1-30.

I want to focus on diplomacy and a high diplo score for my build. I want a blistering high dps rate with my build. I would love to have a reliable charming build but the only way to make a high dc charm build with high crossbow dps is wizard. Swapping weapons between casting and shooting. Percivauls last life was wizard I etr'd him and made him a level 20 crossbow shooting wizard with 41 ap in inquisitive, 12 ap in harper, 3(extra racial) ap in gnome and the rest in eldritch knight. I found that to be a pretty strong build. I managed to get the 4th core in ek and at level 20 I was getting about 130ish average damage from both law on your side and spell sword elemental imbue. Enchant dcs were acceptable but Diplo was low since its not a wizard class skill and I am wizarded out right now. Also I truly want a rune arm. If you want to do a 12 + wizard inquisitive build though I bet it is good stuff.

I tested a 2 rogue 2 ranger 11 fighter pdk build wis based using Falconry and Inquisitive, This is a very strong dps option, the fighter feats all add to static ranged power hit and damage and the ranged falconry attacks are strong. Kensai provides extra action boosts ranger and rogue were for evasion and extra point blank shot range. Diplo was ok but no diplo bonuses are in the build outside of a few points from Inquisitive. I think this build may be competitive for very high dps among ranged characters.

I however am going Arti based. Half elf Rogue2/Artificer18

Stats;-- +6 tomes to everything +1 int and wis from racial pastlives
    str-8
    dex-15
    con-14
    int-17+all levelups
    wis-8
    cha-13

level order 1-2 rogue rest artificer.

Heroic feats
    1-point blank shot
    1- Half elf paladin dilettante
    2- arti bonus feats especially rapid reload
    3-rapid shot
    6-precision
    7 arti bonus- precise shot
    9-completionist
    12-improved crit ranged
    12 arti bonus- spell focus evocation
    15-improved precise shot
    17 arti bonus- augment summons
    18- past life warlock!!

epic feats
    overwhelming crit
    combat archery (the reason for 15 starting dex)
    Insightful reflexes
    Epic augment summons or burst of glacial wrath

destiny
    26-Epic skill focus diplomacy
    28-Doubleshot
    29-Harbinger of Chaos

Scion

30- Scion of the plane of air. Or Arborea

Epic destiny- I will try several I want to see how it does in Fury, shadow dancer with shadow puppet, shiradi, maybe more. Legendary dreadnaught with deadly rain filigree purifying quiver and pulverizer is I suspect where the dps will cap at lvl 30

Enhancements (Maybe)
    Inquisitive- 41 All the damages and diplo based stuff all t-5 and cores.
    Harper- 12 int hit damage and kta
    Battle engineer- 27 endless fusillade for +10 ranged power extra action boosts agility engine for +10 double shot rune arm power and some special attack clickies.
    Mechanic- 1 +5m pbs range
    Perci has the +1 universal tome and now 4 racial action points so +1 more in some tree and in half elf he will go improved pali dilettante and 2 social skills.

Past life warlock and the augment summons feats are for providing targets for the auto diplomacy from diplomatic immunity and diplo skill spamming. I cant charm anything as a arti but confused will be just as good. Arti dog and new shield guardian pets will benefit from augment summons druid past lives and possibly a 3 piece Cry of Battle set!!! I need to make a legendary greensteele ooze crossbow for swapping with a sentient crossbow to call up many oozes. These also benefit from the augment summons feats. The idea is to have survivable agro options for the monsters for all the agro shedding I will be doing.

Evo focus and plane of air is for tactical detonations. Massive rune arm shots and dps with electric arc welder rune arm. Probably also run a electrocution filigree set.

Diplo will be very high. It would be ideal and have great charming options as a bard but that is cha based and there is no way to get cha to damage for a bard with crossbows. So great casting and diplo are balanced by much weaker dps as a cha based bard inquisitor. Still half elf starts with +2 diplo I get +2 from the racial tree with bonus racial ap. Hit the streets core enhancement from inquisitive grants +7 diplo for being a half elf. So thats 9-11 diplo I get for being a half elf I would leave on the table with any other race choice.
    Last edited by Jetrule; 03-31-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetrule View Post
    I want to focus on diplomacy and a high diplo score for my build.
    While there's nothing inherently wrong with this, neither is there anything particularly worthwhile. There's only one ability in the tree that requires a Diplomacy roll and it's not a very good ability. The rest of the abilities merely require you try to use Diplomacy - whether or not it succeeds is irrelevant. Getting maximum possible Diplomacy really isn't all that useful.

It would be ideal and have great charming options as a bard but that is cha based and there is no way to get cha to damage for a bard with crossbows.
    10+ Favored Soul and make Crossbows your Favored Weapon. With 6+ levels in Bard, you can get Suggestion SLA, +4 DC with Enchantment (+3 DC with everything) via Spellsinger. With 8+ levels, you could grab Charm Monster. With 10 levels in Bard, you could grab Otto's Sphere. I wouldn't use Half-elf (the bonus Diplomacy really isn't worth it), but it could be done.

In terms of dps, you'd lose the trance ability, 5% Doubleshot (from the other multi-select vs. Favored Weapon) and you wouldn't pick up much in the way of additional dps from your class choices.

For the actual build, 18 Artificer doesn't give you anything beyond 16 Artificer. However, those two levels could be usefully re-purposed in a variety of ways. I personally like adding a level of Barbarian for the run speed (two levels would enable you to reach an 8 AP Extra Action Boost, but you'd need to throw away the first 5 points on useless enhancements to get there). Fighter, with its first tier Extra Action Boost is also an option. A level of Ranger allows you to extend your Sneak Attack by 5 meters (and get another die of Sneak Attack) for 1 AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjarki View Post
    While there's nothing inherently wrong with this, neither is there anything particularly worthwhile. There's only one ability in the tree that requires a Diplomacy roll and it's not a very good ability. The rest of the abilities merely require you try to use Diplomacy - whether or not it succeeds is irrelevant. Getting maximum possible Diplomacy really isn't all that useful.

10+ Favored Soul and make Crossbows your Favored Weapon. With 6+ levels in Bard, you can get Suggestion SLA, +4 DC with Enchantment (+3 DC with everything) via Spellsinger. With 8+ levels, you could grab Charm Monster. With 10 levels in Bard, you could grab Otto's Sphere. I wouldn't use Half-elf (the bonus Diplomacy really isn't worth it), but it could be done.

In terms of dps, you'd lose the trance ability, 5% Doubleshot (from the other multi-select vs. Favored Weapon) and you wouldn't pick up much in the way of additional dps from your class choices.

For the actual build, 18 Artificer doesn't give you anything beyond 16 Artificer. However, those two levels could be usefully re-purposed in a variety of ways. I personally like adding a level of Barbarian for the run speed (two levels would enable you to reach an 8 AP Extra Action Boost, but you'd need to throw away the first 5 points on useless enhancements to get there). Fighter, with its first tier Extra Action Boost is also an option. A level of Ranger allows you to extend your Sneak Attack by 5 meters (and get another die of Sneak Attack) for 1 AP.
    The point for having high diplo is actually shedding as much agro as possible as much as it is to have high dc stop in the name and arresting assault. I thought of 2 ranger or 1 barb even 1 warlock but the extra 2 levels give me more rune arm damage dice and 1 more rune arm dc, Rune arms are a often overlooked but potent dps source. Rune arm attacks do not interupt attack animations and properly geared and built for they add significant dps, They also make my dog 2 levels higher so I felt it was about a wash. I would not want to put any more points in other trees. I dont want to lose any points out of battle engineering because It takes 4 and 3 points each for fusillade and agility engine. Thats 10 rp and double shot and requires 27 ap to get. Those last 7 in BE are hard to replace AP spends.

Fvs can get cha to damage with crossbow but the bard slas will have poor spell pen and there wont be many other options. going 10 fvs 10 bard looses the divine grace of battle as far as I know you must be more than half fvs for it to work. Also it would be a large dps loss, spending heavy in spell singer vs BE as a secondary tree. Cleric using falconry as a secondary and going wis based with trickery domain I think would be very solid. Just a bit less dps but the utility of a healer and charmer. I think past life warlock, making a dog and shield construct hireling as tanky as possible and a Ooze lgs crossbow will provide all the targets I need for agro shedding options without significantly hurting dps.
    Last edited by Jetrule; 03-31-2019 at 07:12 PM.

It might be good to point out that if using the Inquisitive Tree with the "duel hand crossbow" (light/heavy crossbow) feature that you won't be able to use Runearms at the same time. I only mention this because if you see those other levels as raising your Runearm damage but do plan on using the "hand cross bow" you may find yourself being as disappointed as a build with Evasion without the Reflex save to make it useful.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    It might be good to point out that if using the Inquisitive Tree with the "duel hand crossbow" (light/heavy crossbow) feature that you won't be able to use Runearms at the same time. I only mention this because if you see those other levels as raising your Runearm damage but do plan on using the "hand cross bow" you may find yourself being as disappointed as a build with Evasion without the Reflex save to make it useful.
    This isn't correct. Rune-arms are compatible with the twin Crossbow style. Now, I'd argue they shouldn't be - I think it would have made a lot more sense to have the style permit an off-hand Crossbow with a one-handed, thrown or non-Repeating Crossbow in the primary hand. But the way it works now, one of the main reasons virtually every Inquisitive build includes Artificer is for the Rune-arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I see you haven't tried out the tree yet. I indeed am using a rune arm with the dual crossbows. So I hope not to be as dissapointed as I will be by my reflex save prior to level 28 and finally getting insightful reflexes.

Community Member

Yeah I also would recommend not investing anything in "meat shields" for use with Diplo. That strategy might be better after the Pet Pass, assuming Arti pets become viable through endgame Reaper with the right investment...but right now, investing feats in meat shields will buy you maybe one more attack before they die. If that. Maybe just like a 25% chance they live one more attack. But its only going to buy you limited time before things start coming for you again, in solo play. In group play it will be a lot better since you'll have a bona fide tank that can keep aggro, and your Diplo procs will just help make it easier for him.

Especially since, keep in mind, your CC are all Dazes. So that doesnt necessarily work well with uncontrollable mobs running around knocking things out of daze.

I have 7 lives playing as inquisitive artificer. dump diplo. doesn't make a difference. you need to roll diplo, not succeed... also, get the ability to auto roll diplo when you attack, never waste time actually rolling diplo.

I playing 2 rogue 18 arti, 3 rogue, 17 arti, 2 monk, 6 fighter, 12 arti, 2 rogue, 6 fighter, 12 arti... right now I think the best combination for me is 2 monk, 4 fighter and 14 arti and I will do that this life.... leaving 2 arti levels for very last (19 and 20).

Regarding the pet, the pet is good for lever pulling. that's it.
    Khyber: Pinel / Laerak / Sibeli / Kaeral / Gilmara - Crafter