Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Anyway, bolts are 1/10 the size of arrows, hence the issue

Bolts are notably larger than 1/10th the size of an arrow for a bow.

I'm just glad we get big stacks. Various enhancement trees have options for reducing expenditure, and there's always the Deneith sturdy bolts as well. As an Arti, you can throw almost anything on your weapon to make up for what the ammo might have otherwise had as a trait.

Personally, I'd be happy if they turned Silver Slinger into a gxbow, as its model and icon indicate it should be. (or give us an conversion option)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Unlikely. I like that the two spells are different
    And you seriously think that is already a good reason?

On one hand, you have ranged weapon users who dont have to worry at all about ammunition or need to summon them only one time on login.
    And it is obviously the most unrealistic thing that your ammunition "warps" back into your hand after you fired them away.
    But this is acceptable and all fine...

But for Crossbow users you suddenly limit the size of the stack to 1000 even if it would be certainly possible to have a stack of 10,000 which causes unneeded inventory issues for them.

And in addition the handling of normal "old school" ammunition is even worse with only a stack size of 100, obviously also with no good reason when you compare it to the ridiculous "magically" returning Ammunition.

I would like to see that the stack sizes of ammunition are at least increased to 10,000 I dont think there is a reasonable reason that speaks against it besides the goal of the developers is to annoy the players.

And I'm quite sure there would be much more possible to make bow and crossbow more fun with different and maybe new kinds of ammunition.

In other games you dont have to worry at all about ammunition, it is not "realistic but it works fine there anyhow.
    The goal should be to use this feature of DDO to make it more fun to play an Archer and not more annoying.
    "Act according to a maxim which can be adopted at the same time as a universal law."
    -Immanuel Kant-

"Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has."
    -René Descartes-

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    At a certain point, the 1d6 damage becomes negligible and not worth the hassle of dealing with normal arrows as a material component, particularly since you can't use them from in a quiver.

Really annoying when you're in combat and you accidentally reload your stack of white arrows...then you run out and can't summon more. Or having to fiddle with your quiver in combat to pull more out.
    That's why you wand Flame Arrows, instead of casting it.

I did? My favorite class is rogue :P
    Mine too, but not in DDO

//Hint: DA and Aggro Hell

Quote Originally Posted by ilhares View Post
    And those are the modern ones.

Its been quite a while since Ive used either but iirc my longbow has 36" shafts and my crossbow uses 16".

Ive seen bolts somewhat shorter (Heidelberg Castle?), entirely wrought of iron, including the fletching (solid vanes), that were about three times thicker than an arrow with huge d4 shaped bodkin tips forged right on to the tip. A pile of those would be real heavy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vms4ever View Post
    I think it adds a bit of balance. Considering the rate of fire repeating xbow vs longbow and the resultant dps imbalance, having artificiers fight the encumbrance of multiple stacks of 1000 bolts while rangers don't does an extremely tiny bit of leveling the playing field. (And I'm speaking as someone whose preferred class is artificier.)
    This is just my own personal thought, but no one should ever be using conjured bolts OR arrows.
    If you are, you're specifically damaging your own DPS. A wand of Firearrow will create 50 x 500 (That's 25,000 for those of you playing at home) Arrows or Bolts, up to you, each adding 1d6 to your damage. Or on average, 3.5. For the cost of a 1000pp~ wand, which you can restock on for the cost of 1 Teleport scroll to house J, followed by turning left and walking 5 feet. For people who go out of their way to add even 1 damage, this should not be overlooked. I never play a ranged character without one.

(Of course, as damage is Fire damage, and that's the most resisted damage type in the game, your milage may vary, but unless you're shooting at Iron Golems, its not like the fire damage specifically ruins anything either. It's either added or it's just like having stacks of 500 normal arrows or bolts. /shrug. )
    Last edited by SpardaX; 03-30-2019 at 04:39 AM.
    Server: Thelanis - Characters Main: Rusttttt, Sepiaaaaa, Amethysttttt - Other Alts: Flameeeee, Siennaaaaa, Rougeeeee, Roseeeee, Wineeeee, Marigolddddd, Zaffreeeee, Wisteriaaaaa, Scarlettttt, Rufousssss, Lilaccccc, Puceeeee, Azureeeee, Orchiddddd, Sinopiaaaaa, Amaranthhhhh, Violettttt, Umberrrrr, Tawnyyyyy, And More! Literally too many for the Signature!

Quote Originally Posted by SpardaX View Post
    This is just my own personal thought, but no one should ever be using conjured bolts OR arrows.
    If you are, you're specifically damaging your own DPS. A wand of Firearrow will create 50 x 500 (That's 25,000 for those of you playing at home) Arrows or Bolts, up to you, each adding 1d6 to your damage. Or on average, 3.5. For the cost of a 1000pp~ wand. For people who go out of their way to add even 1 damage, this should not be overlooked. I never play a ranged character without one.

(Of course, as damage is Fire damage, and that's the most resisted damage type in the game, your milage may vary, but unless you're shooting at Iron Golems, its not like the fire damage specifically ruins anything either. It's either added or it's just like having stacks of 500 normal arrows or bolts. /shrug. )
    Reaper kinda eats those low dice extras tho.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    Any chance in upgrading Conjure Bolts so they're returning?
    What I like to do is splash in either Falconry, tier 2 required only, or do a Battle Engineer/Mechanic split. That way you can take Fletching rank 3 to get 85%, I think it is, chance of returning. Then if you get the 2nd tier house D favour you can use the Sturdy bolts, 80% chance I think. This gives you 2 independent returning rolls for near infinite bolts, arrows etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ilhares View Post

I'm just glad we get big stacks. Various enhancement trees have options for reducing expenditure, and there's always the Deneith sturdy bolts as well. As an Arti, you can throw almost anything on your weapon to make up for what the ammo might have otherwise had as a trait.

Personally, I'd be happy if they turned Silver Slinger into a gxbow, as its model and icon indicate it should be. (or give us an conversion option)
    no those are real bolts, the arti ones are teeny
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight Templar of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist); Parked Toons: Katwoemyn (10), Saelegion (4), Alitirala (4), Naerfelka (21)

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    no those are real bolts, the arti ones are teeny
    Actually its magic, so who cares about physics...

Oh, no, it's just a regular ol' DDO inconsistency. There's no real reason whatsoever.
    How about applying some consistency, then? A very good QOL improvement for ranged characters would be to increase the stack size of all ammunition to 1000. By all means lower the vendor sale price if this is in any way a disincentive to making that change. But right now we have:

Random gen or Cannith Crafted ammo: 100
    Conjure Arrows: 100
    Flame Arrow: 500
    Conjure Bolts: 1000

Since the various ammunition cannot be quickly accessed while they are in a quiver they must be stored in the backpack, locked so they won't get auto-gathered, and then placed on the hotbar for use during a fight. Where a stack of 100 will be used up very rapidly.

A change to 1000 for all of the lower stack counts would save a lot of inventory space in backpacks for those of us who actually enjoy using specialty ammo against specific targets. And it might even make your code a little cleaner and capable of re-use across different routines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Yngvarr Stormedge: Aye, laddie. Aye. That be a mighty fine pooop deck.
    sometimes you just want to light the players on fire, yanno?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12