Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default How is warlock a strong class? I'm lvl 4 but I do horrible DPS. Any tips?

On top of that, I have useless spells.

Is it the same thing as wizard that I need to wield a 2 handed Axe in the low levels?

Is your pact damage toggled on?
    Are you wearing proper spellpower items?
    Have you invested into the "Strong Pact" enhancement line in Tainted Scholar?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drecas View Post
    Is your pact damage toggled on?
    Are you wearing proper spellpower items?
    Have you invested into the "Strong Pact" enhancement line in Tainted Scholar?
    Yes, yes, and Yes but i switched out strong pact recently to go with the Cone eldtritch blast from Chain

Are warlocks really a bit behind at low levels? Or should I go back to Chain?

Quote Originally Posted by supot2 View Post
    Yes, yes, and Yes but i switched out strong pact recently to go with the Cone eldtritch blast from Chain

Are warlocks really a bit behind at low levels? Or should I go back to Chain?
    cone is better than chain, but chain is still good to have for mobs that like to scatter, like archers.

warlocks just kinda stink until lvl 10 or so.

Community Member

I actually find them to be the most boring class. They have a window of being powerful, I'd say about level 9ish to about 20ish. I hate them in epics.
    They have no fun active enhancements, you have to waste a ton of AP, no matter what your build, and they are hard and boring to equip.

Honestly... It drives me crazy how many people don't know how to play a Warlock. Literally the easiest class in the whole game.

NO, you shouldn't take cone at level 4.
    Your damage ups are from TAINTED SCHOLAR, you need to have the action points to get your pact damage ups, before you take cone. I usually wait until level 7 to swap to cone. I will use chain all the way up to level 7 though.

THEN... I will only spend 12 points into soul eater, in order to get cone. Spending the rest into tainted scholar...

I will ONLY have 12 points into soul eater, until level 12. Them I will revamp my trees again. Putting enough points into soul eater to get eldritch wave, the rest into tainted scholar.

The end result is 41 into tainted scholar and 39 into soul eater...

Again, the damages wont start picking up,until level 7-8. Those saying Warlock doesn't do good in epics, are either lying, or dont know what they are talking about.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Cone gets -1 pact die of damage, so that does hurt a bit. I don't take cone until I can grab one or two of the Strong Pact from TS. Warlock is lame until level 5 or 6, but it's straight up ridiculous from level 10 and up (Evards Tentacles is one of the best spells in the game). Heck, it's even solid DPS in end game reaper raids if you're the only Warlock in the party because of the debuffs you can throw on the raid boss to increase the whole party's DPS.

Warlock is really solid. You'll enjoy it a lot more in another level or two.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Just please... For the love of all of humanity... DONT go enlightened spirit.

So many warlocks will go enlightened spirit and claim its good dps...
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banjo174 View Post

Pshaw. Enlightened Spirit is PLENTY of DPS for Heroic Normal...
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

THANKS for the tips. very helpful. I will switch back to Chain for now.

Bounty Hunter

At level 4 your best dps is the souleater slas with maximize/empower. Warlock doesn't get to max performance until you get wave, but I use cone over chain before that.

Agreed!

Those saying Warlock doesn't do good in epics, are either lying, or dont know what they are talking about.
    Yes, they're fantastic in epics... As DC casters, not DPS!

A tip no one has mentioned: spell power items.

The best pact spell power/crit bonus items are from the Cannith Challenges. For light or force (I stick with force as I don't use ES) use Cannith Crafting.

Don't take cone shape until lvl 7-8ish, and don't take anything in ES at all (just my opinion LOL).
    The tricky bit with chain shape is proper targeting, it takes a bit of practise for optimal targeting. Single target DPS with chain sucks but is ok when averaged over 4 mobs.

Whenever I do Warlock in epic r1, I just melt everything 20-30. If you're trying to say that Warlocks dont do good dps in higher skulls. I would still say you are doing it wrong as you should be dc casting in higher skulls.

Community Member

Swapping to a bursting ES/TS split is amazing DPS at level 12 all the way through to the end of heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    Swapping to a bursting ES/TS split is amazing DPS at level 12 all the way through to the end of heroics.
    Spoken like someone who has never used eldritch wave

Community Member

Spoken like someone who has never used eldritch wave
    I'm so bored with warlock that I'll never play one again, that's how inexperienced I am.

Community Member

It's sucky dps but the durability that it gives with shining through is amazing. Imo it comes down to if you consistently group with those who can grab and maintain aggro or if you solo/carry others.

I think that might be why we disagreed so much in another thread about the value of a few extra points of damage vs a few more hp and healing amp. If you consistently run with good players that work well as a team you can go full speed on dps, but those of us that group with randoms need to find a balance between dps and survivability.

Op, in my experience its level 7 that the dps shoots up, partly because i have cannith crafted spell power/lore sticks at that level. Until then the dps is kinda crappy but good enough to get by. Web and blast. It gets faster and faster the more levels and reaper points you get. At level 10 swap in the beacon of magic set, and the adherrence set and its game over.
    Last edited by spyder7723; 03-29-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Community Member

Whenever I do Warlock in epic r1, I just melt everything 20-30. If you're trying to say that Warlocks dont do good dps in higher skulls. I would still say you are doing it wrong as you should be dc casting in higher skulls.

Would you be willing to shed some light on this? Getting to 20 is easy peasy but once i hit 20 i find that while i can solo r1 it takes far to long. Not time efficient at all. Tho wearing heroic rl sets in epic reaper probably didn't help. And unfortunately my last trip to 30 was my last divine sphere life needed, tho ill run this one in ea just to full the karma back up so its ready if they add another tree to the sphere.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Quote Originally Posted by supot2 View Post
    On top of that, I have useless spells.

Is it the same thing as wizard that I need to wield a 2 handed Axe in the low levels?
    I never need to use a weapon (except occasionally to range targets or break down a door) from Lvl 1 to 30. I typically run R1, although I have done high reaper at cap in a CC/Instakill role.

At level 4, my normal mode is to be mostly in TS, with enough in SE to get the first SLA. Using the web spell granted from the TS core, you web stuff and then chain blast them. Tougher mobs get the maximized SLA (consume) as an extra nudge into the grave. At levels below 4, you can use entangle instead of web. It is not quite as nice, but still good enough to manage crowds while you chain blast them.

As someone already said, make sure you have appropriate spell power and spell lore! This is critical, especially in reaper. I have crafted a lvl 3 light stick, acid stick, and force stick for levels 3 and 4. I use lvl 5 crafted until level 10, and once you slap on the RL gear, you are good to 20, aside from minor tweaks for stuff like the pansophic circlet at 13. (You might want to update your necro DC gear in the teens if you feel your DCs weakening a bit in the upper teens, but I don't usually bother (updating your spell power sticks is useful, but not necessary since you will be instakilling lots of stuff).

My path varies a bit at lvl 4...usually I am using force power and acid power at that point, but sometimes I take utterdark by then . It pays to max your charisma as well...you do more damage with your pact if the mobs are saving all the time. And you will want your DCs high at later levels. (I usually take completionist over empower at level 3, because I want my webs to be sticky and consume is the only spell i have around then that would warrant being empowered.)

I don't switch to cone shape until about lvl 7 or 8, and I am using utterdark by this point as well. By lvl 13-14, you should be abusing instakills and just filling in with cone, consume, and stricken as needed. Eldritch wave is nice, but it is not absolutely necessary imo. I usually do take it, but don't use it as regularly as I probably should. For me, wave is used mostly for beating down bosses or champs that cant be instakilled in the upper teen levels, but I know others use it on groups of trash to good effect.

Of course, at lvl 10, you get the best spell in the game -- evards tentacles. I'm sure someone will disagree about it being the "best", but even if they have another favorite, I doubt you can find an experienced arcane caster who doesn't acknowledge its power. CC and damage all in one bundle of purple goodness...

Bottom line, I love warlock and I find it hard to believe that anyone would not like its capability for destruction.

While I don't share the opinion, I have a better understanding of people that get bored with warlock. (I get bored with running around cleaving stuff with an axe...to each his own.)

Quote Originally Posted by spyder7723 View Post
    It's sucky dps but the durability that it gives with shining through is amazing. Imo it comes down to if you consistently group with those who can grab and maintain aggro or if you solo/carry others.

I think that might be why we disagreed so much in another thread about the value of a few extra points of damage vs a few more hp and healing amp. If you consistently run with good players that work well as a team you can go full speed on dps, but those of us that group with randoms need to find a balance between dps and survivability.

Op, in my experience its level 7 that the dps shoots up, partly because i have cannith crafted spell power/lore sticks at that level. Until then the dps is kinda crappy but good enough to get by. Web and blast. It gets faster and faster the more levels and reaper points you get. At level 10 swap in the beacon of magic set, and the adherrence set and its game over.
    I laugh at people saying enlightened spirit adds survivability. You are quite literally, throwing yourself into melee range so you can be hit. Where as cone ISNT melee range, its close, but not melee range. In fact, my defense, is being able to crowd control, unlike the typical enlightened spirit warlock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast