Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default So is DDO only for old people?

When I play in-game it feels like everyone who is micced-up in my party is a baby boomer. And I see some posts on this forum that are worded like how my Grandpa would type. Things like "Why can't I level past 30?" Or "Elite is too hard my hirelings are die too fast".

What target audience does this game actually cater too. I feel like if you didnt play D&D 1st edition listening to Orphan Annie on the radio-tube then you're sometimes not good enough to party with in-game.

Didn't have the table top in the UK and who the hell is Orphan Annie?
    Ozzgood 42, 36, 15, 36, 80. Ozzbad 35, 36, 13, 34, 68. Ozzugly 40, 36, 19, 36, 98. EvilOzz 33, 36, 6, 12, 34. and Alts on Khyber
    Past Lives: Heroic, Epic, Iconic, Racial
    Reaper Points

Community Member

Get off my lawn.

Community Member airbornerangers's Avatar

Default ?

pull up your pants
    thtasselhoff completionist vladimar lvl 20 tr barb thenabler lvl 20 cleric carthoris lvl 20tr wiz solestinger lvl 20 bard darksnemisis lvl 20 cleric gwylimn lvl 20 cleric thufar lvl tr arti ceer mutt tr mutt lindenavery lvl 20fvs hergromm lvl 29wf barb
    khyber gerty lvl 16 cleric mephistoles lvl 16 sorc

Help I've fallen and can't get up!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayoff View Post
    When I play in-game it feels like everyone who is micced-up in my party is a baby boomer. And I see some posts on this forum that are worded like how my Grandpa would type. Things like "Why can't I level past 30?" Or "Elite is too hard my hirelings are die too fast".

What target audience does this game actually cater too. I feel like if you didnt play D&D 1st edition listening to Orphan Annie on the radio-tube then you're sometimes not good enough to party with in-game.
    Trying taking a 1st Edition first level wizard into Keep on the Borderlands and you'll gain some new respect for your grandpa and how he played.

It's not just for them - there are people of all ages who love D&D and it is free-to-play... that said, those "old people" you're talking about aren't thinking "Will I still be able to afford my student loan payment?" every time they open up the DDO Store...
    "Every time I meet an NPC I think I can trust, it turns out to be 3 Kobolds in a Trench Coat." - maybe Gary Gygax, but probably not.
    Cannith: Vixious Murderhobo - Twitch/3Kobolds - Twitter/3Kobolds - Instagram/3Kobolds -
    Want to be a Murderhobo? The Murderhobo guild is your home on Cannith! PM me!

WI feel like if you didnt play D&D 1st edition listening to Orphan Annie on the radio-tube then you're sometimes not good enough to party with in-game.
    That's "Little Orphan Annie" and yes, you're too young to party with us!!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

I'm 23 years old, started playing 9 years ago. I have never played any D&D except for DDO. But yeah, DDO is targeting an older player base, chances are rather high if you ask a stranger in DDO how old they are, that they will be in the 30-50 year range. I do have some younger friends that play DDO though too, although it isn't very common.

Most younger gamers are more into shooters, like Fortnite :P . . . Younger gamers will also gravitate to games that have PvP. DDO used to have quite a bit of younger gamers running around when PvP was fun. But then epic destinies came out, basically making PvP impossible to enjoy. So, they moved on.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Hey, if my VCR is still flashing 12:00 then how in the he(double hockey sticks) do you expect me to figure out this TR thing?
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

Systems Designer

Speaking just for myself, yes. Get off my lawn.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Community Member

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my Armor Class to -10.
    Zanthiss - Level 30 Rogue Mechanic - Cannith

I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide... I've got 12 sided die...

True words, you lost, son.
    Last edited by TitusOvid; 03-25-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

I will give u a big hint I have a kid who is almost 50 3 grandkids and 3 great grandkids so yes Get off my lawn

OP, maybe we should ask those Havard finance graduates what is the best target audience for DDO that makes the most amount of whale cash while minimizing server costs?
    This sounds like a Red Panda question.

[...]
    Most younger gamers are more into shooters, like Fortnite :P . . . Younger gamers will also gravitate to games that have PvP. DDO used to have quite a bit of younger gamers running around when PvP was fun. But then epic destinies came out, basically making PvP impossible to enjoy. So, they moved on.
    If your friends want PvP, they could move on to their own PvP arena and set the rules saying no ED abilities allowed...or not even that, just say the range is 1->19 inclusive, no epic characters allowed. That way, no ED...

3Kobolds

It's not just for them - there are people of all ages who love D&D and it is free-to-play... that said, those "old people" you're talking about aren't thinking "Will I still be able to afford my student loan payment?" every time they open up the DDO Store...
    You might be right there, 3kobolds... Most of the "old people" you are talking about are probably most likely willing to open up their wallets. They also have a stable job that can afford to use the DDO store...
    Of course, there's the Mark Hamill and Wil Wheaton types who played DDO and don't care about if their DDO wallet went away in warp speed....
    Last edited by Tyrande; 03-25-2019 at 06:08 PM. Reason: warp speed, not wrap speed

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Bounty Hunter

I'd say the bell curve centers around Gen X rather than baby boomers.

Lightbulb Eh?

I'm 24, been playing on and off since release since it was my parents "allowed" alternative to WoW. Ironically I'm the youngest of my friends and one of the few in my circle who genuinely enjoys the game.

...though most of them also call me an "old soul" so maybe you're onto something.

Community Member

Yes. Exactly that.

In fact... it's not "enough" old for old people like me. I'd love turn based Fred Flintstone (I hit you on the head with my club. Your turn. You hit me on the head with your club. My turn.) gameplay to come to DDO.

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Primary Home: Argonnessen
    Also known as: Archarias, Ishtaris, Arthies, Artharias, Astanius, and Fidgity.
    "Elder brains are a lot like bouncy castles. They just sit there, but if you jump up and down on them, things get interesting real quick." ~FlimsyFirewood

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast