Community Member drunkbarbarian's Avatar

Default Crypt Raider vs Silent Avenger

So I have a swf Aasimar Barb. My primary tree is Occult Slayer and secondary is FB. (mostly for quality of life with OS capstone and metalline)

My question would it be better to go Silent Avenger, Shadow Dancer and Ethereal,or Crypt Raider, Dreadnaught and Arborea? I don't run reaper very often and if so its a low level.

A little gear tetris and I can have Mists bonus on either set. I have Prowess slotted on main weapon and Blood Feast on swap for hp.

Second question is would it be better to upgrade Whelm (shock wave dazed and +1 19-20) or Soulrazor (vamp, lowering defense, instakill chance)?

Thanks

Community Member

Unless you are capped on doublestrike, I think Silent Avenger wins hands down.

Silent Avenger / Legendary Dreadnaught / Ethereal if you've invested/geared for hide, Arborea if if you haven't.

As for the weapons, I think Soulrazor's +20 damage and +20 melee power probably wins out.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

As a SWF barb, I'd go Silent Avenger.

If you were THF, I'd go with medium armor and Crypt Raider, because the trinket from Baba (Bloodrage Chism) is so good for THF, and part of the Crypt Raider set.

The Silent Avenger belt is kinda of a waste on a STR-based barb, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by drunkbarbarian View Post
    So I have a swf Aasimar Barb. My primary tree is Occult Slayer and secondary is FB. (mostly for quality of life with OS capstone and metalline)

My question would it be better to go Silent Avenger, Shadow Dancer and Ethereal,or Crypt Raider, Dreadnaught and Arborea? I don't run reaper very often and if so its a low level.

A little gear tetris and I can have Mists bonus on either set. I have Prowess slotted on main weapon and Blood Feast on swap for hp.

Second question is would it be better to upgrade Whelm (shock wave dazed and +1 19-20) or Soulrazor (vamp, lowering defense, instakill chance)?

Thanks
    SA no question. Also consider that Ethereal won't be doing much of anything for you if you can't make targets sneak vulnerable on your own or if other people don't consistently have aggro.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post

As for the weapons, I think Soulrazor's +20 damage and +20 melee power probably wins out.
    FYI, Soulrazor's +20MP is a misnomer assuming you have Adherent Mist set (+10Profane bonus to MP). It would actually be +10Profane MP on top of Mist's set.

SA is more DPS, but if you're not Dex-based, and not using Ethereal, you end basically wasting two item slots (Cloak and belt - which have a lot of other good options) just for the set bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    Also consider that Ethereal won't be doing much of anything for you if you can't make targets sneak vulnerable on your own or if other people don't consistently have aggro.
    That's important.

But helpless critters get sneak attack damage, so dire charge and stunning blow help there.

And of course, if you have a caster in the group who can cast mass hold, you'll get sneak attack damage there too.

Note that you can't make a boss helpless with the above methods so your damage output will be less against boss monsters, unless there's another person in the group to hold aggro (or a ranger using Exposing Strike, or another character using Bluff or someone using improved deception)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Community Member drunkbarbarian's Avatar

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I really am still torn between ppr and melee power vs sneak damage and evasion. I guess I will have to test both with a couple of ETRs. However in low reaper and LE raids is it better to have defense or DPS?