Default Crafting & Dragonmark of Making

Im considering making a new character purely for crafting. Run it up to 20 quick and park it so I don't care how gimptastic the dps is or how it would play in epics. I remembered that there was some disagreement as to whether the dragonmark and pure 20 arti bonuses were worth it for crafting. All the threads Im finding are quite old. Have there been any changes? Have any of you tried it recently? What are your thoughts?

There have been zero changes w/ regard to what you're talking about.

Here's the thing - the "free" crafting levels (both +10 from Arti and another +10 from the (Human-only) Feat DM of Making) increase your Crafting Level, which also increases the difficulty of learning more. So you're essentially "skipping" those levels.

To maximize things, you want to level your crafting first to just below where you want to be, then level the arti (or TR into an Arti) and take the feat after that, so once you add in those 20 levels, you're all done.*

(* If you're not going to craft for other accounts, that can settle in around maybe CL 265-290 or so, depending what top ML shard you want to make. The highest (insightful) effect shard is CL 275, less boost, less any "risk"; the highest ML shard is CL 300, less etc..)

Community Member

I am a fan of crafting on my main, it can save you a few relogs, particularly if you want to deconstruct your gear for bits of crafting XP. But perhaps you have a large and empty shared bank.

That said, I can also see the merit of a dedicated crafter, as you can store your tasty crafting blanks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    I am a fan of crafting on my main, it can save you a few relogs...

That said, I can also see the merit of a dedicated crafter, as you can store your tasty crafting blanks on it.
    I made my crafter my ingredients farmer - again, saves a few relogs and item shuffling.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

If you're starting a new crafter, the optimal approach is to make a level 1 human Artificer, level your crafting to 380 first (less if you don't want to craft unbound shards), then level your character to 20 and grab the Dragonmark of Making. This is because of the progressive XP requirements for crafting. The +20 levels would make it a lot more expensive to level crafting at 20 than if you do it at level 1.

Obviously this works best if your crafter is an alt and you have other toons who can feed it trash loot for Essences. So it's a more long-term approach than just leveling crafting as you play your Artificer.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 03-26-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!