Thread: Why Spellcraft?

Default Why Spellcraft?

I was just trying to optimize some of my bard's skills and started pondering spellcraft. I can't figure out why bards have that as a class skill. They don't have any non-sonic damagers. Bard spells are DC-based, buffs, and heals. The only non-perform spell I can recall atm for bard is the SS:T5 SLA, Horn of Thunder (half electric).

I suspect a holdover from 3.5e traditions. IMHO, heal would make FAR more sense than spellcraft for a DDO bard. Any others out there with similar thoughts or is there a very nice bard use for spellcraft I'm missing?

I guess the new scoundrels can use it for fire damage. And some spell singers in Exalted Angel may do some light damage. I doubt many spell singers run Draconic but some probably twist energy burst. Maybe a racial tree magical attack here and there. Still Heck yea to heal skill for Bards. Pretty much any Bard will have and use a healing spell or several.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Community Member

Potentially Fan of Knives. Not bard per se, but on some bards
    Server: Thelanis
    Guild: Fallen Immortals
    Toons: Soza, Sozz, Sozza, Sossa (bards)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    I suspect a holdover from 3.5e traditions.
    I suspect you're 100% right. When this game started, a LOT was blindly copy/pasted from 3.5. Weapons lists and types of armor jump to mind.

IMHO, heal would make FAR more sense than spellcraft for a DDO bard.
    +1 on that change.

Community Member

IMHO, heal would make FAR more sense than spellcraft for a DDO bard.
    I'd argue a better solution would be to change a Spellsinger talent:

Charlatan (1/3): +(1/2/3) Concentration, Haggle and Perform. Rank 3: You may use your Perform skill in place of your Heal skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjarki View Post
    I'd argue a better solution would be to change a Spellsinger talent:

Charlatan (1/3): +(1/2/3) Concentration, Haggle and Perform. Rank 3: You may use your Perform skill in place of your Heal skill.
    That's a great change, but at the same time, I'd swap Charlatan with Wands-and-Scrolls. The reason being that SS likely doesn't need or use WaS, but non-SS might and otherwise my SS's entire T2 line would be empty. T2 is mostly useless already, it should have something redeeming that inspires cross-dressing bards to level more than a tiny splash.

I'd also do "adds perform/3, perform/2, perform/1" to your heal skill, which makes more levels in a healer splashing bard attractive. I dislike enhancements that have zero worth until the final kicker. I prefer they get something nice along the way. It helps eliminate the quantum jerkiness when leveling and suddenly acquiring a nice new ability and it also creates a build-quandary: "do I do both heal & perform or just one?"

Or, could just replace some pointless T2's with "2 AP, Use perform for heal" and whatever else might seem appropriate (trapping would be insanely nice there, too, but is obviously a no-go since it would be a cross-class enhancer only). Heh, "synchronized swimmer" fits -- now there's a high-value performance skill.

It's a great concept that could be done is so many nice ways.

I suspect a holdover from 3.5e traditions.
    Yep. Spellcraft has a lot of sense for Bards in PnP D&D. Every spellcasting class has it as default.
    IF this game had some... say... snippets of information that you got from Lore Skills (from which only Spellcraft is present in DDO), it would make sense to get extra information from having a high Spellcraft.
    As it is, that role is met by the Lore Feats that classes get each level, so meh.

IMHO, heal would make FAR more sense than spellcraft for a DDO bard. Any others out there with similar thoughts or is there a very nice bard use for spellcraft I'm missing?
    Well, from a mechanical PoV, Heal would increse the Bard's effectivity as support healer.
    As I like the PnP flavor of the Bard, those things simply look natural to me. Even if they lost meaning in DDO.

Cannith Server: Sergy d'Cannith (2nd life, Ftr 8)