Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name request

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I really can't see us stepping in to assist in matters like this. It's no fun when your name is already taken, but the thorny mine-field of opening ourselves up to sorting through 13 years of wanted-but-taken names with any kind of official support function seems unlikely.
    Will there be any way to clear up used but inactive names though. I have a handful of names that I would like to use but are taken, but I have honestly never seen them online or increase in levels as an indicator that they have been playing.

Could we say, purge completely free accounts that have not been accessed for say over 3 years? I'm sure we have some of those. Or just purge the characters and leave them with their purchased account content. Or even keep those characters, but change their name with a suffix/prefix that indicates they've gone inactive for too long and their name has been put up for grabs.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis

Quote Originally Posted by Seph1roth5 View Post
    Uhhh why is this coming up 9 years later lol. Anyway, if you did change your name then people that play with you would be confuzzled and think you're some new bozo.
    I don't really see the problem with this lol. I mean, he can easily tell his friends that this is *so and so*. I personally changed my name, and put my old name in my surname spot.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    Will there be any way to clear up used but inactive names though. I have a handful of names that I would like to use but are taken, but I have honestly never seen them online or increase in levels as an indicator that they have been playing.

Could we say, purge completely free accounts that have not been accessed for say over 3 years? I'm sure we have some of those. Or just purge the characters and leave them with their purchased account content. Or even keep those characters, but change their name with a suffix/prefix that indicates they've gone inactive for too long and their name has been put up for grabs.
    That would be a bad idea, imo, if it is a free account or not. 3 years is not a long time for this game. I read coming-back messages all the time. And a lot of them were away longer than 3 years. And to add a pre- or suffix to it would be as bad, I think. The only way this works without big complications, is the voluntary way.
    You post your request and the player who owns that name volunteers it to you.
    This could be done with the help of SSG. They forward your request anonymously to the owner and if he likes to offer you that name, contact will be revealed. That would be the official way but more work for SSG.
    Another way would be a third party solution where people would post their request and maybe, MAYBE the owner will have a look and answer to your request. This would be nowhere as effective or efficient as the 1st way.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord | Orien Raiding Discord Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

There's a name I've been waiting 13+ years to become available.

The toon exists (it's a 1st level Dwarf Fighter if memory serves) but, as far as I can tell, it has never been played.

IMHO, it should be possible to recycle such name placeholders after a certain period of time...maybe 10 years of inactivity?
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Cry me a river and choose a different name with Titus as part of it. Very few people would get the name they wanted first if it was something as common as Titus. Especially if your trying to get it in a game that is 13 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by trevitt View Post
    Cry me a river and choose a different name with Titus as part of it. Very few people would get the name they wanted first if it was something as common as Titus. Especially if your trying to get it in a game that is 13 years old.
    World of Warcraft is 15 years old, yet they do it.

AKA your point is invalid.
    ~IAmTheGreySoldier~ [Want Global Chats? Vote here!]https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...t-global-chats
    [Want to learn about my pet peeves with people in Reaper? Check this out!] https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...er-Wakeup-Call

Community Member

You want a common name that was taken years ago, you want a name of a legend so you can imitate them...... NO! you may not, make a xxxtitusxxx if your that upset, your not getting the devs to remove a name or people would troll inactives I would troll you asap, hospital stay , rough patch by dead pc or short on funds so you cant log in, inactive due to active service in our military thinks before ya speaks. How about you get more creative with your name Try Drizzt Do'Urden.
    Last edited by Qwerty-Keyboard; 03-27-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by banjo174 View Post
    World of Warcraft is 15 years old, yet they do it.

AKA your point is invalid.
    Apples to oranges. DDO is not WoW.

If everyone else jumped off the cliff, would you jump too?

Yikes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12