Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Default What can an off hand weapon do for a wolf?

Only your main hand's weapon is used for attacks, so what can your off hand weapon do for you? Can it add effects like an off hand weapon does for throwers? Should I just hold a green steel healing amp off-hand weapon? Should I just leave that second hand empty if my main weapon only takes one hand?

I don't understand what does/doesn't work with wolves.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Only your main hand's weapon is used for attacks, so what can your off hand weapon do for you? Can it add effects like an off hand weapon does for throwers? Should I just hold a green steel healing amp off-hand weapon? Should I just leave that second hand empty if my main weapon only takes one hand?

It's been a long tinge since i ran a wolf so maybe this has changed but it used to be anything that wasnt an on hit effect. Armor piercing for example.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Only your main hand's weapon is used for attacks, so what can your off hand weapon do for you?
    Passive bonuses like Seeker, Armor Piercing, doublestrike, etc. will carry over to your mainhand. Also Spellpower / Spell Lore, Spell Focus, that sort of thing. Same is true if you equip a (non-metal) orb.

However, remember that if you use a 2H weapon in animal forms, you get the 1.5x stat bonus to damage you would in humanoid form, plus the higher base damage etc. of 2H vs 1H weapons. And if you're a bear build, you need to equip a shield to benefit from Ursa's Protector bonuses. So there's an opportunity cost to using an orb or offhand weapon instead.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Passive bonuses like Seeker, Armor Piercing, doublestrike, etc. will carry over to your mainhand. Also Spellpower / Spell Lore, Spell Focus, that sort of thing. Same is true if you equip a (non-metal) orb.

However, remember that if you use a 2H weapon in animal forms, you get the 1.5x stat bonus to damage you would in humanoid form, plus the higher base damage etc. of 2H vs 1H weapons. And if you're a bear build, you need to equip a shield to benefit from Ursa's Protector bonuses. So there's an opportunity cost to using an orb or offhand weapon instead.
    There are non metal random drop orbs?

Green steel hamp is a great idea. You could also use a number of weapons that their effects happen on main attacks as well, like the ToEE or alchemical explosion on 20 effect. Or even better you could use a wooden shield, a buckler or small shield if you have evasion. Guardbreaking especially I hear works wonders with wolf aoe attacks.
    Social Justice W...arlock (5e toon)
    OkarisRage, big fat purple wolf (because no need to be a bear with the new epic defensive fighting feat-getting past lives of druid and pdk so my artificer is better <3)

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisAlien View Post
    There are non metal random drop orbs?
    No idea but there are definitely non-metal named orbs.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

There is no reason with the current ddo wolves that I have found not to use a two handed weapon or sword and board. With two handers being a clear favorite. If you have worked out a cool caster who utilizes wolf shape for the cold spells advantages I could see some sort of two caster stick approach. If you find something else compelling, very cool! I suspect there are more ways to play a wolf effectively than I know of lol.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Thanks k you all. Looks like I'll be going Carnifex and SoS for heroic Druid, then. Didn't know if I was missing something special for the off hand

I don't have anything special for level 20, so maybe Antique Greataxe until I get something exciting?
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

I'm pretty sure an epic antique greataxe IS exciting.

You could also consider an off hand co-op weapon for the sp. Although off hand hamp dagger does sound like the best.
    OkarisRage, big fat purple wolf (because no need to be a bear with the new epic defensive fighting feat-getting past lives of druid and pdk so my artificer is better <3)

Community Member

Normally wolf = THF for the extra dmg, however there are certain abilities and stances that require you to be TWF... such as:

Certain Tempest Enhancements
    Certain Primal Avatar Enhancement
    Certain Vistani Enhancement

I prefer a Vistani Wolf build and twisting in some Primal Avatar Abilities. But if you are a normal Natures Protector Wolf, go for SoS/eSoS or another good two hander as your damage will be much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Normally wolf = THF for the extra dmg, however there are certain abilities and stances that require you to be TWF... such as:

Certain Tempest Enhancements
    Are you talking about the Whirling Blades line? The last time I checked, none of the dual-wield-only attacks (e.g., Dance of Death) worked in animal form; you get a "wrong form / stance" error IIRC. They nerfed that bug / exploit even before the druid pass.
    Certain Primal Avatar Enhancement
    All of those abilities in Primal Avatar says "while shapeshifted into an animal form, wielding two weapons, or unarmed." As this is an wolf build, the weapons being wielded are irrelevant as the bonus always applies.
    Certain Vistani Enhancement
    The TWF/SWF-only bonuses like Single / Double Dagger shouldn't work in animal forms. OTOH the crit, doublestrike and Knife Training lines should all work. However, that shouldn't depend on dual-wielding. Unless you mean the capstone's +5% attack speed works while dual-wielding?

Community Member

Single Dagger shouldn't work in animal forms.
    Does. Means significantly less at cap but for leveling purposes is kinda OP considering how early you can get it.

Community Member

Are you talking about the Whirling Blades line? The last time I checked, none of the dual-wield-only attacks (e.g., Dance of Death) worked in animal form; you get a "wrong form / stance" error IIRC. They nerfed that bug / exploit even before the druid pass.

All of those abilities in Primal Avatar says "while shapeshifted into an animal form, wielding two weapons, or unarmed." As this is an wolf build, the weapons being wielded are irrelevant as the bonus always applies.

The TWF/SWF-only bonuses like Single / Double Dagger shouldn't work in animal forms. OTOH the crit, doublestrike and Knife Training lines should all work. However, that shouldn't depend on dual-wielding. Unless you mean the capstone's +5% attack speed works while dual-wielding?
    Play Vistani first in animal form. Fastest heroic life you ever will play. Falls off a bit more in epics, but there is certainly some synergy there that may or may not be WAI.

Is there a link for vistani wolf somewhere?

You can also use a shield in the offhand
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo (Barbarian); LOOON (Rogue); Hobaggin (Druid); Pocohontus (Warlock); Buttscracher (Arty); Whoaa (Monk thrower); Fuglytincan (Tempest); Easilylaid (inquisitive); Eatuhdiq (Sorc)

Also, wielding a Sun Flask in lower content against undead is extremely satisfying if you have never tried it...
    "Unexplained noises are best left unexplained."
    -John Bellairs-