Thread: Old Raids?

Central Time - Contact me whenever! (Sarlona Server)

Default Old Raids?

I am just wondering what the point of running old raids such as VON is?. Ravenloft and WPM and other tales has more up to date gear and sharn will be following as well. After sharn, will we forget about VON? I just dont think a whole ton of the gear is too great to run the old raids for. There are some good raids that have had old gear, such as caught in the web, but some of the older raids, such as the ones in house J are not ideal for gear?

Any inputs?

Should I still do these raids?
    Sarlona - Wolfgame (2), Deviltron (18), Aylaro (17), Fladeshield (15).

Community Member

Default Because

Running Von 5, at level, R1, with a pot going, gives a tremendous amount of XP - usually enough to increase a half level, especially with a guild buffs, Voice of the Master, and VIP buff. No other single quest at that level gives as much XP

VON is old, but the SoS still holds up as a great piece of kit (I've literally never seen anyone pass it up if they pull it) & as an older raid, it's relatively forgiving even on EE/R1 so long as those who don't know it so well can follow the directions of others who are more knowledgeable - more importantly to many, a VON5 EE run with even a semi-competent/sober/awake group can potentially net you 200k or more XP in 40mins or less without needing capped characters to do it
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Yup, Vault of Night still gives amazing exp, which is a draw for many. Also, there's this little thing called fun. Some people simply enjoy the raids (for example, me). No carrot (loot/exp) needed, it's just fun to run through. (this is true for other old raids as well... for me at least).

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Currently i''m running LoB a lot for alchemical wisdom for my DC cleric

Abbot has the quiver still for striding speed from level 1

Occasionally run ToD just because we've just done the 4x flaggers for favour for the pots, and it's right there and it's a fun way to get a little xp.

Shroud shards for twink dust weapons and +6 cha skills items

Titan twink gear and for fun - eg caster lore items

HoX for fun and xp at level... VoD the same (although I don't like that one much) ... we're all so overpowered these days. Also no flagging required.

Fire peaks + Deathwyrm for fun - there is a level of reaper that tips it over from doable to undoable and it's a matter of matching level to party. (I told a party off the other day for being slackers as R1 was way too easy )

DoJ some items are okish... particular now at level 26.

Fall of Truth - much less now as I rarely flag but for fun. Also that rare cube pet. And much easier heroic comms if you want to upgrade a CITW item.

Caught in the web - TRed chars who have already used up their raiders boxes the level 23 gear for things like repeater and the ss can be ok. And it's not like it's hard now and there is no lock out. So it's kinda fun. And often you flag anyway on your way to 30.

MA - fun if you've bothered flagging for LoB.. or you need a base item.

Von - xp either heroic or early epic. usually the raid itself only as an add on. Also you want to cosemetic something for old times sake.

RSO (I loathe this one because of the unmitigateable lightning... loathe loathe) .. for some items... namely the gloves with profane on them... the most fun about this raid is when someone wants something from it and we will then mercilessly tease them how they will owe us if we run it.

Tempest spine - fast heroic xp, epic reaper xp for as high a reaper as the party can stand (and the challenge can be fun... sometimes... )

MoD - gear still.

Demon Queen - fun, fast xp/reaper if you've already flagged anyway and are at level. can't think of any gear in there that's worth it any more even levelling (can't bring myself to throw my torque out though...)
    ~ Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

also epic HoX for fun.. sad no reaper but even on elite things can go pear shaped pretty quickly so it's an amusing test of speed and strength and coordination and relatively quick to do and no flag.
    ~ Khyber ~
    ~ Melicient ~ Melianny ~ Melinator ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~ Mellant ~ Melangst ~

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post

Demon Queen - fun, fast xp/reaper if you've already flagged anyway and are at level. can't think of any gear in there that's worth it any more even leveling (can't bring myself to throw my torque out though...)
    I have dutifully moved 2x Torc's out of my TR cache for god knows how many lives. Back in the day I had always assumed I would make one epic and never pulled the shard and now I hang onto them for nostalgia and the slim hope that SSG will "Make Sands Loot Great Again".

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    VON is old, but the SoS still holds up as a great piece of kit (I've literally never seen anyone pass it up if they pull it) & as an older raid, it's relatively forgiving even on EE/R1 so long as those who don't know it so well can follow the directions of others who are more knowledgeable - more importantly to many, a VON5 EE run with even a semi-competent/sober/awake group can potentially net you 200k or more XP in 40mins or less without needing capped characters to do it
    Just a note, I passed up two in the same epic raid (made a Fighter and Barbarian happy). And yes I pulled two of them one in each chest . Of course it was not on the one character I wanted one on and it was two years later that character finally got one, which was funny because I had everything needed to make it epic for 3 years .

But to the OP. For Heroic and Epic the VON 5 is rather nice XP if you have a core group of 2 to 3 that know it well.

Epic also has a decent amount of chests and there are some items from that chain that are still worth doing the epic upgrade so the whole Raid is worth it for those items - one of which is the Sword Of Shadows.

The main thing is some of these older raids still have Utility, sure they are not always the BIS, but like clubs in a well stocked golf bag, sometimes the niche item is the best choice. Sure you can play the 18 holes with a putter and a 7 Iron, but if you are willing to carry it you have a chance to have something better suited.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ripjaw7 View Post
    I am just wondering what the point of running old raids such as VON is?. Ravenloft and WPM and other tales has more up to date gear and sharn will be following as well. After sharn, will we forget about VON? I just dont think a whole ton of the gear is too great to run the old raids for. There are some good raids that have had old gear, such as caught in the web, but some of the older raids, such as the ones in house J are not ideal for gear?

Any inputs?

Should I still do these raids?
    VoN has been a nostalgia run for a very long time already.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    I have dutifully moved 2x Torc's out of my TR cache for god knows how many lives. Back in the day I had always assumed I would make one epic and never pulled the shard and now I hang onto them for nostalgia and the slim hope that SSG will "Make Sands Loot Great Again".
    I've got an alt, not even my main, who has pulled 2 torcs and one has Mythic 3. I've been running ADQ almost every 3 days forever with that char so I can epicify the vanilla torq and can't get the seal and shard despite so many runs and multiple epic 20th lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Yngvarr Stormedge: Aye, laddie. Aye. That be a mighty fine pooop deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    sometimes you just want to light the players on fire, yanno?

Quote Originally Posted by Niminae View Post
    I've got an alt, not even my main, who has pulled 2 torcs and one has Mythic 3. I've been running ADQ almost every 3 days forever with that char so I can epicify the vanilla torq and can't get the seal and shard despite so many runs and multiple epic 20th lists.
    If you are level 30 you can most likely epic TR before taking your 20th reward and it will "refresh" the list. I know for a fact this worked in Abbott as one of our groups quiver runners did it in order to get another pull at the quiver and it worked. I can only assume that it works for other 20th reward lists as well? Might be easier/quicker to run multiple times from 20-30 than to run 20 more ADQ1/2 quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    If you are level 30 you can most likely epic TR before taking your 20th reward and it will "refresh" the list. I know for a fact this worked in Abbott as one of our groups quiver runners did it in order to get another pull at the quiver and it worked. I can only assume that it works for other 20th reward lists as well? Might be easier/quicker to run multiple times from 20-30 than to run 20 more ADQ1/2 quests.
    Nice, thanks! I am at 30th with that char and our static group will be doing an ER probably within the next couple weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Yngvarr Stormedge: Aye, laddie. Aye. That be a mighty fine pooop deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    sometimes you just want to light the players on fire, yanno?

Quote Originally Posted by Niminae View Post
    Nice, thanks! I am at 30th with that char and our static group will be doing an ER probably within the next couple weeks.
    Hopefully you can get to your next 20th list before then, its like getting two for one since you are already 30. Good luck, assuming it does work, please report back.

My guild regularly does EE VON 5/6, EE Chronoscope, EE Demon Queen, Elite Tower of Despair, EH HOX, and R1 Tempest Spine. These all give great xp for the time spent. The first 4 in this list are great for level 20 toons. The last 2 probably need mid to high level epic toons, but are decent xp and give Threads of fate.

and we have a lot of fun running these.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post

the most important reason to run the old raids

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    My guild regularly does EE VON 5/6, EE Chronoscope, EE Demon Queen, Elite Tower of Despair, EH HOX, and R1 Tempest Spine. These all give great xp for the time spent. The first 4 in this list are great for level 20 toons. The last 2 probably need mid to high level epic toons, but are decent xp and give Threads of fate.

I'd like to regularly run Twilight Forge, Hound and ToD but I guess my idea of fun isn't exactly the same as most others :/

Hound is compounded by the fact that some are ok with an easy EH run but few will bother running to the heroic entrance.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/FvS | Ponoka - Sub || Hamsterwheel paused

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    I'd like to regularly run Twilight Forge, Hound and ToD but I guess my idea of fun isn't exactly the same as most others :/

Hound is compounded by the fact that some are ok with an easy EH run but few will bother running to the heroic entrance.
    I regularly lead these raids as part of the Guilds weekly raid runs (we open up when slots are available)

Hound and ToD are fun and have straightforward mechanics that are easy to teach usually within a single run

Twilight Forge is one of my favorite raids because it is not straightforward, it has several mechanics that are not easy to learn. However, even a full group of 30s can fail the final part of the raid as there are several ways to fail if using the mechanics of the raid. Of course supplied with the right knowledge and abilities you can "win" without doing the mechanics of this raid. You really need at least 2 to 3 people very comfortable with the mechanics to increase your success chances.

Community Member

I just finished 20 Reaver's Fates in 2 nights for the Madstone Boots (doing a STR barbarian build and can't wait to get to level 13 now).

I'm doing Master Artificers too to get an alchemical hand axe (gonna make an ooze/rust beater for epics).

All the older legendary raids now give threads of fate.

Lots of the other older epic raids are decent xp while doing epic lives. Plus they are a nice change of paces from dailies or grinding the same BB route each life.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard