Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Question Feminine warforged; Any word from the devs?

Did they ever say whether or not this was ruled out, and/or why? While I'd love to have it I understand that it's probably not a priority for them.

Please include a source, if you have one - also, the dev tracker is a bit difficult to search for specific topics, and my googling skills have failed me. Apologies if this is ... a bit of a sore topic? I saw several threads on the matter that had very energetic posts; I'm not looking to debate anything, I just want to know if the devs or anyone at SSG have said anything like 'we'd like to but' or 'it's not happening' or the like.

It's been over 13 years and not one "feminine" warforged.

The writing is on the wall and it's very legible.
    Last edited by Arkat; 03-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

In the source material WF are depicted as having "no physical distinction of gender; all of them have a basically muscular, sexless body shape."
    I don't know if there's any official statement regarding such, but I believe (and hope) the devs are trying to stay close to the original source.
    Hi Welcome

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Warforged were created to be machines of war and so weren't created with any gender-based features. However, some Warforged have gender identities (see Doris). I suppose a Warforged could augment themselves to look more like their preferred gender, but we're getting into some tricky territory. I guess it's possible some Quorforged could have been designed to look more feminine but I'm unfamiliar with the lore there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

I suppose WF Scouts could be the upcoming racial variant. It's a dark horse candidate, sure - but I guess it is possible.
    Scouts aren't feminine per-say, just slimmer and smaller. But, it's been asked quite a few times to add 'em as an option that would also be lore accurate.

As far as I know, the Devs have never spoken of adding more WF body types after the '05 closed beta, when they just said No.

edit
    Until today.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpai View Post
    In the source material WF are depicted as having "no physical distinction of gender; all of them have a basically muscular, sexless body shape."
    I don't know if there's any official statement regarding such, but I believe (and hope) the devs are trying to stay close to the original source.
    This is an accurate summary, and unless that lore changes from official D&D sources, I wouldn't expect it to change on our end either.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    It's been over 13 years and not one "feminine" warforged.

The writing is on the wall and it's very legible.
    The Quarforged docent is rather feminine....
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Default Warforged Scout

What I would love to see is and racial variant: Warforged Scout. Per the lore, they are about the size of a Dwarf and lithe having a + to dex instead of con. They would a rogue or ranger as they were build for deep cover scouting and espionage. I have always wanted to see the Scouts and thought it would be cool iconic, but we got Lord of Blades.
    Brotherhood of the Blood Xoriat
    We are the blood,
    We are the madness,
    WE ARE XORIAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    This is an accurate summary, and unless that lore changes from official D&D sources, I wouldn't expect it to change on our end either.
    The warforged are able to be repaired and modified by artificers or even themselves giving them an endless possibility to their appearances.

Time Bandit
    DDO Players Council

Excruciatingly lore-wise, probably their vegetable components could be either sexed or simultaneously male & female, as plants can be.

But none of that theory would let them appear "male" or "female" from any animal & mammal human perspective.

The other D&D race they're probably most closely related to are Treants.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    The Quarforged docent is rather feminine....
    Why? Does it show any secondary gender characteristic? Just a color doesn't make something feminine nor masculine...

Quote Originally Posted by Natashaelle View Post
    The other D&D race they're probably most closely related to are Treants.
    Which is why I've never understood why DDO Rust Monsters have such a fetish for DDO WF. The guy in full platemail should be much more tantalizing than a mostly wood creature, ala Groot, with some metal bits bolted on.

Not that I'm expecting it to ever change - but if we're using Lore as the reason behind development choices, this is one that I've always found vexing.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Revolted View Post
    Why? Does it show any secondary gender characteristic? Just a color doesn't make something feminine nor masculine...
    Indeed.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Hi Welcome

I can't remember if it was in the 3.5 eberron Player's book, or campaign setting, but I remember something about how some warforged go to artificers and smiths to have their bodies reshaped to be more gendered. Not to try to have fleshling sex or anything, but because of one of two reasons. Either they simply like the look more than their natural look, or to make fleshlings more comfortable around them by being less 'construct-like' in appearance. Kinda like how some warforged have their composite plating peeled off entirely so that they can use fleshling armors.

In this case the depiction of current warforged has failed, miserably, to be gender neutral. No way a gender neutral being would have those huge shoulders with the narrow hips. If there was a more neutral body depiction I'd be fine with it, but the body shape is clearly on the lines of huge body builder male. Which when I've chosen female, being one, I know I'm not looking at a body that is remotely 'gender neutral'. This has always ticked me off and is one of the reasons I detest running one.

Bounty Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Fujijar View Post
    I'm not looking to debate anything
    You've come to the wrong place... it's on....

Quote Originally Posted by Tashr View Post
    In this case the depiction of current warforged has failed, miserably, to be gender neutral. No way a gender neutral being would have those huge shoulders with the narrow hips. If there was a more neutral body depiction I'd be fine with it, but the body shape is clearly on the lines of huge body builder male. Which when I've chosen female, being one, I know I'm not looking at a body that is remotely 'gender neutral'. This has always ticked me off and is one of the reasons I detest running one.
    Well they are warriors, being big and bulky makes sense. Gender neutral in this case means that they weren't designed around any gender, it doesn't mean that they have to look like no gender. In terms of the lore, the fact they may look more like a male actually makes a lot of sense, unless you're suggesting the artificers should have made them less warrior like just to appease you. In your mind, how exactly would a gender neutral warforged look like?

Well, I don't see the WF in DDO as sexless bodies, they all have a strong male appearance and the way they move is male like as well.
    That last thing might even be the thing to set them more apart from males.

Only warforged that's does appear to be sexless is the titan?

Community Member

i think the art department did a bad job in translating the warforged design from PnP. I find them ugly and unplayable. Uglier than Half elf by far. The proportions are all wrong and painful to the eyes. The warforged enemies you encounter in VoN and Inspired Quarter are not as ugly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast