Default Bug? Heroic ToEE giving Epic rewards (and work-around)

I just ran Heroic ToEE on my main (for speed) and the final story-arc reward from the NPC was entirely epic -- all items but the trinket were L26 base ToEE crafting weapons. I thought this might be due to my character being L30. So, I reran it on my L18 -- same thing. Tried again on a L12. Again, all quest rewards were Epic L26.

This can't really be as intended, is it? I'm trying to get a base L7 weapon for my monk and without the arc reward being L7 that's statistically impossible -- better off just watching AH for a year and hoping what I need shows up.

Edit: I think I found out what's happening: your very first Heroic Story Arc gives the correct L7 heroic reward. Subsequent heroic repeats give epic rewards. Tried it with a brand new L15 Iconic (I was sure it gave my original chars L7 stuff waay back at some point) and got L7 heroics from the NPC. Ran it again and got Epic L26 rewards from the heroic arc.

So, if you need the L7 base weapons, one way to work around the issue is to make an iconic of the correct class and run it with "Quest End Rewards Based on Class" checked. I don't think casual~elite matters. My fresh iconic did P1 @ HE and P2 @ HN. If you don't get what you want in the end, delete iconic, remake, and run again.

Edit: Another data point. It's not only reruns that seem to trigger it. After about 10 or 11 runs via newbie iconics, all yielding heroic rewards, one iconic got epics. The only difference was that iconic recalled out of P1 (1st floor) and then reset the dungeon (before finishing any of them). All the others chained them back to back, entry to P2 directly via the interior P1 exit.

So, it may be arc completion, recall, or heroic reset that gets you stuck in epic-reward state. If it ever coughs up what I want I'll run my main again after resetting the epic to see if that toggles it off -- won't help for under-20 characters, but it beats making a fresh iconic every run.
    Last edited by Bjond; 03-17-2019 at 04:15 AM. Reason: more data

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    it may be arc completion, recall, or heroic reset that gets you stuck in epic-reward state. If it ever coughs up what I want I'll run my main again after resetting the epic to see if that toggles it off -- won't help for under-20 characters, but it beats making a fresh iconic every run.
    Tried the main reset on epic for no effect, still got epic rewards from heroic. However, there's something more than my speculation above going on: twice in a row my fresh newbie iconic got epic rewards. NB: the NPC arc rewards are either all heroic or all epic. I never saw a mix. When only two weapons out of all potentials fits your needs, farming chests is a loosing strategy. You need those arc rewards.

IMHO, this is a pretty serious bug, since ToEE is not just the source of the BIS off-hand weapon for a thrower from L7 to L23, but (I think) the only source for a useful off-hander for a thrower in that range. And, yeah, it's a pretty dramatic difference in AE dps output, similar in scale to a large area crit every 5~10s. Hard to measure without a parser; sometimes chains back-to-back, sometimes not until one critter is left standing, but usually a couple times a fight.

BTW, I don't view this as dangerously exploitable on the other side; ie. if you want epics. There are multiple other better solutions in the epic range for off-hand. I think time might kill it as sentient-fodder, too; took me ~40m per run including making a fresh iconic (maybe 25m? without creation) and my char literally never stopped running inside -- damn quest is crazy-long even when you can AE one-shot everything without breaking stride.

Oh, and if you're also wanting a TOEE weapon but lack iconics, I did try this with a L7 newbie monk, too. Worked fine, but the final Zugotmoy fight was pretty hard to solo for a fresh L7 monk in starter gear and being pure-class didn't seem to help at all for final rewards. Box checked and still zero monk weapons. Make sure you run that as aasimar if L7 -- you'll want a nice heal for the very last fight.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjond View Post
    NB: the NPC arc rewards are either all heroic or all epic. I never saw a mix.
    Really here always mix for epic arc just because Experienced Evil always present in both heroic and epic reward list.

IMHO, this is a pretty serious bug, since ToEE is not just the source of the BIS off-hand weapon for a thrower from L7 to L23, but (I think) the only source for a useful off-hander for a thrower in that range.
    Not the only ( many use ML12 GS Freezing Ice off-hand weapon or ML14 Razorend for better CC options ), but really best for damage output.

I posted about this last month:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...wards-are-EPIC

And yeah I have gotten mixed end reward lists with both heroic and epic weapons on it. There is no rhyme or reason to it - just random.
    The in quest drops can be streaky in that you get similar or no drops for awhile, then something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfo View Post
    Not the only ( many use ML12 GS Freezing Ice off-hand weapon or ML14 Razorend for better CC options ), but really best for damage output.
    Ah, interesting other options. I would completely discount tendon, though. I have that and it doesn't change play in the least. Freezing is interesting, especially if it procs often. Helpless bonus is quite nice and having a stationary target while strafe-kiting helps line the rest of a pack up for IPS.

Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    I posted about this last month:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...wards-are-EPIC

And yeah I have gotten mixed end reward lists with both heroic and epic weapons on it. There is no rhyme or reason to it - just random. The in quest drops can be streaky in that you get similar or no drops for awhile, then something completely different.
    Interesting on the mix. The only "mix" I've ever seen is that trinket, which is always heroic. I've never gotten heroic rewards from an epic run, too. If that happened, I'd be irked enough to file a ticket for a replacement item.