Default Different Saving Throw bonuses on gear - which stack?

(Posting this in New Player b/c it's a basic question, but the answer is convoluted enough that I wanted to make sure I had it right...)

There are so many different "adds to Saving Throw" bonuses on gear, both droploot/named and Cannith Crafted - which ones stack, and which ones don't? Most are "resistance bonuses", and by rule "bonuses of the same type don't stack" - but it seems in this category there are more exceptions than not...

(Info taken from Cannith Crafted Scaling Effects Table* & "Resistance" article)

(* @ New(er) players - When we talk about a "scaling" effect, it's something that gets bigger with higher Minimum Level gear. So, looking at the 4th line of that table ("Ability"), an ML 5 item would have a +4 Ability bonus, but the same effect at ML 10 would be +6, and so on.

You can use this table to help judge the loot you find. Good droploot should be at or close to these levels; rare droploot and the best named loot might exceed them by a little.)

o Resistance* (aka "Staunch" on some items) - This adds to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saving throws. This is the basic "across the board" ST boost item that everyone should have.

(* Not to be confused w/ various "elemental resistance" or "resistance to (element)", which is a different thing entirely)

In addition to that gear, we can add...

o Individual Fortitude, Reflex or Will saves - identical scaling value as "Resistance", above, and listed as another "resistance" bonus, but do NOT stack w/ Resistance. (If I have this right, these values should be higher than the all-encompassing one, above - right? Why would you ever choose just 1 when you could have all 3?)

o Spell Saves - identical scaling value as "Resistance", above, and listed as another "resistance" bonus, but DOES stack w/ Resistance.

o Saves against a Specific School of Magic (e.g. "against Enchantment" or "against Illusion") - identical scaling value as "Resistance", above, and listed as another "resistance" bonus, but DOES stack w/ Resistance.

But the two above do not stack w/ each other. So, again, a bonus against an individual school should be higher than the general boost, right? Or... why bother w/ the specific one?

o Disease and Poison saves/wards - identical scaling value as "Resistance", above, and listed as another "resistance" bonus, but DOES stack w/ Resistance.

o Nightshield spell - Everyone recommends taking this over Shield as your anti-MM defense, but if its "resistance bonus" doesn't stack, then why not take Shield's +4 AC and call it a win? I don't see a ST boost shown on character sheets when I use it - what's the attraction?

Thanks in advance for helping me clarify this muddle.

Community Member

I am by no means an expert on this but you have forgotten Insight bonus which you can get from parrying, named loot from red fens or perfect pinnacle monk in mountain stance.

perfect pinnacle only adds to reflex save but +10 at level 10 is very good.

I can confirm that the resistance from CC stacks with this insight from perfect pinnacle.
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

When I came back to DDO only several weeks ago, I was confused by several wordings in item descriptions, because they were new to me.
    "Insight bonus" is such an example.
    And there seem to be several wordings for basically the same thing. Having a list which formulation means what would be handy, since I don't have the current (A)D&D rules book.

"Insight" bonus comes from the new Cannith Crafting system. As a general rule, it is only found on items that are ML 10 or higher, and is indeed a new type of bonus that stacks w/ everything except itself. It's meant to boost the higher ML items potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    ...you have forgotten Insight bonus ...
    No, I ignored it, along w/ many others, since I was not looking for different bonuses.

The question was to confirm that the above listed "enhancement" bonuses DO stack, despite all being the same.

There was a period in which the Altar of Insanity was adding untyped bonuses to specific saves; is that changed?

Otherwise OP looks pretty sound

Maybe on top of insightful, you have quality, festive etc
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.