Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    (Standard): Switching to channel: House Deneith Enclave.
    (Standard): Switching to channel: House Deneith Enclave - Trade.
    (Standard): Switching to channel: House Deneith Enclave. - Advice.

Every time. and My Standard (ahem, see what I did there) is that if this window isn't logging General, Trade, or Advice, then I don't give a flying flippity fig which instance I'm not listening to.

Can those announcements be either moved out of standard to their respective channels, or just nuked from orbit with the wrath of a fiery god? (and even if you "Turn of public chat in private instances" you get a standard message telling you that the game is helpfully blocking the channels you aren't listening to in the first place.)

Thanks Lynnabel. Luvs Ya. Let's Do Lunch.

...or something.

*whispers from the darkness*

... merge them all into a global general/trade/advice chat...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harkmar View Post
    Howler quills has become something I started hating my last few lives. I was a bladeforged last few lives and this life I am starting my warforged racial lives now. If i am not mistaken howler quills is intended to be a bleed like attack. How is it affecting a toaster?

As for the duration and tick rate... Basically if I fight a howler in melee in Through a mirror darkly I get to watch an annoying low damage dot tick away for a minute while I try to perfectly time the mirror. If your connection has a small amount of lag you will not get this timed and will get to wait 1 minute per howler/howler mob pack before you can use something like that mirror. Doors are easier but that damn mirror tends to still be a problem some times.
    all the howler attacks are just annoying. in pen and paper a successful heal skill could remove a quill. in PnP the wisdom debuff applied from hearing the howling for an extended period of time like half an hour to an hour. its so fun to run into 10 howlers at the same time that can immediately lock down non-wisdom characters for what feels like forever. the howler isn't a difficult monster to fight it just seems like one designed specifically to troll players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Blarhg, tell me about it!! :P I've actually been trying my best to improve the combat log experience, ...
    One big improvement would be to write it to a file with time stamps. Just bugger it appropriately, and roll over the logs daily/hourly or whatever. Make it a user preference.

As of a few patches ago, Quills were changed to allow a standard usage action (such as opening a door/valve) between their damage tics. I also made them less invisible. Is that no longer the case?
    I think its more the timing of the two, a tick of damage over time (of just about anything) on a player is usually once every 3 secs and doing a user action coincidentally usually also takes up the same amount of time.
    Now if you have multiple stacks of the same thing and each with it's own timer, you're done for sure.
    Same when a stack is reapplied, the first tick goes off immediately. For instance when chased by berserk-o-speed skulls in a raid.

Community Member

I suppose my only objection to that is I've already changed the interval to be way more forgiving (iirc it's now roughly 5 seconds?) and at a certain point, given that a standard usage action (aka open this door) is like 2 seconds, is there truly an actual end to this reverse arms race? If it's way too forgiving, it kind of removes the whole point of Damage over Time... I dunno.
    And here I thought the point of a damage-over-time spell was simply to do damage and potentially kill the target, thus increasing the difficulty and risk of combat with the caster.

Little did I know that the real point of DoTs was to just waste players non-combat time and irritate them by preventing them from doing basic actions like opening doors, chests, and recalling out of a successfully completed mission. Silly me thought debuffs which induced the Helpless state were for that.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Quote Originally Posted by OrodelaSol View Post
    the player failed when they took the dot effect and will suffer this failure until the dot expires. the skill or ability should have avoided this effect but failed so now you must endure. just jump n do the action until u succeed, the dot wears off or u die... next time block, move, dont hit the champ with to poison guard...keeps us on our toes!
    You could at least read the post before responding with worthless dribble.

in particular..
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    ~snip~
    we can still recite intricate arcane symbols off a scrap of parchment while running and jumping aka scroll casting while under fire utilizing a concentration check., but we cant open a [expletive] door...
    ~snip~
    A successful concentration check lets you cast a scroll while being damaged...

but to disable a trap or unlock a door or even open a door you have to time a keyboard/mouse click between the ticks/damage.. concentration is worthless here.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 03-18-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 30/42 , RC 36/36 , IC 12/21 , EC 29/36 , RP 85/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/42 , RC 0/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 36/36 , RP 36/158..favor toon)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/42 , RC 19/36 , IC 15/21 , EC 19/36 , RP 63/158)

A successful concentration check lets you cast a scroll while being damaged...

but to disable a trap or unlock a door or even open a door you have to time a keyboard/mouse click between the ticks/damage.. concentration is worthless here.

yep, WAI... your toon failed when it took the dot so until its over sit back and enjoy the pain. changing this would make it easier...so, no leave it alone.
    Khyberite

Community Member

I suppose my only objection to that is I've already changed the interval to be way more forgiving (iirc it's now roughly 5 seconds?) and at a certain point, given that a standard usage action (aka open this door) is like 2 seconds, is there truly an actual end to this reverse arms race? If it's way too forgiving, it kind of removes the whole point of Damage over Time... I dunno.
    But a round is 6 seconds, and per the rule books, most of these effects deal damage once per round. Not once per action taken.

Why not just fix the Concentration skill to do what it's supposed to do: let you concentrate on the task at hand and shrug off the other stuff going on around you.

You're right, let's stick to increasing the interval of DoTs.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

As of a few patches ago, Quills were changed to allow a standard usage action (such as opening a door/valve) between their damage tics. I also made them less invisible. Is that no longer the case?
    The problem here is this requires quicker reaction with less latency than I can often manage. Haven't tried it with quills specifically lately, but I've definitely had issues with other DoTs.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    Except when you change zones. Because you get spammed with:

(Standard): Switching to channel: House Deneith Enclave.
    (Standard): Switching to channel: House Deneith Enclave - Trade.
    (Standard): Switching to channel: House Deneith Enclave. - Advice.

Every time. and My Standard (ahem, see what I did there) is that if this window isn't logging General, Trade, or Advice, then I don't give a flying flippity fig which instance I'm not listening to.

Can those announcements be either moved out of standard to their respective channels, or just nuked from orbit with the wrath of a fiery god? (and even if you "Turn of public chat in private instances" you get a standard message telling you that the game is helpfully blocking the channels you aren't listening to in the first place.)
    Systern for President!!

Community Member

What about this: The intention of long damage over time stuff like this is to A: provide damage over time and B: make players think about timing when trying to escape or progress, especially in hectic fights. The intention is never C: make people really frustrated and sit there waiting for no reason other than to make us laugh.

I took a solid stab at making them less C and more A and B about a year ago when I changed the interval to be longer. Did I miss my mark? Maybe. I won't know unless you guys tell me :P Some people in this thread seem to think the changes worked, some people seem to think they don't, but the worst case scenario to a discussion is me not changing anything, so there's nothing really at stake to lose here
    I have noticed that after 30 secs the quills still damage you for another 30 secs but don't interrupt, that's good. if it was 15 it'd be great.
    It is possible sometimes to get doors open between ticks even in the interrupting stage but it can be tough, probably has to do with latency.

edit: agree with below, it's no where near 5 secs between ticks.
    Last edited by Cantor; 03-22-2019 at 12:22 PM.

DoT's proc much faster than every 5 seconds. It is every 2 or 3 seconds, at max. At least the DoT's I'm experiencing regularly. You can't pop a chest with a DoT on. That animation is not 5 seconds long.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer in Loreseekers and Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Let's see you say that when you can't cast a Heal on yourself because you have a dot on you, then.

Do you really think it makes sense that we can summon demons while taking damage, but can't open a door?
    Without quicken spell you have to make a concentration check.

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    So get extreme! I actually enjoy the game when there are consequences to your character's adventurer of invading a monsters lair. Your comment about "isn't fun in the slightest for anyone" is way of the mark because many players prefer adventuring consequences. I actually went back into the game and asked across multiple raid groups with a variety of players and I got people saying it was annoying (quill attacks) but that they understood it and would not remove it.

We went on to agree however that there should be some in game mitigation available like has been mentioned in this thread.
    1) Magical DoT's - there should be a mechanic, spell or something that can remedy it
    2) Physical DoT's - a healing spell or maybe a specialty spell from a healer.
    3) A concentration check makes total sense. However I know most melee classes do not invest in concentration. Then oh my in a social themed game you may have to reply on your co-adventurers help.

Again, I 100% disagree with the OPS point in please make the game easier for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    After you kill all the howlers in the room in that Minotaur's lair and you're sitting with full health except for the unavoidable 3 damage you're taking every couple of seconds for a minute and you sit there with your metaphorical thumb up your metaphorical behind while you wait to be able to open the door when there's nothing to do except wait and there is zero threat to you... that's fun for you?
    Read further. Shores likes consequences, but agrees that a method of removal would be an improvement. Its right there in the second half of the post.

Moving on, I agree with keeping the dots ability to block actions, BUT, have a way to remove the dots. Many options have been presented. A few listed here:

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    I agree with this, but I think Break Enchantment should get a boost to reliably remove DOT spells. On the other hand, Howler quills should be removed by some sort of Cleric/FVS spell. I'm thinking Close Wounds and/or Panacea.
    Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Great comment. The effect needs to be identified basically in two categories, 1) physical or 2) magical. Then there should be a solution in game for it similar to what Hipparan has suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetrule View Post
    The kobold slingers missile attacks apply a stack of burning damage. In the anniversary event they tick on my character for 0 damage but they tick fast and uselessly interrupt door opening. I say if it ticks for no damage there is no way it should stop a door opening or lever pulling maneuver.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234