Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Default Please let us open doors during a DoT

There are damage over time effects that last 30+ seconds (or even a minute or two if you have something with a stacking duration). If we can summon vast arcane and divine energies while an Orthon is pummeling us, we should be able to open a door with the same kind of concentration check.

I know it would be a significant change and probably a fair amount of programming, but I think it would be a really good change.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    There are damage over time effects that last 30+ seconds (or even a minute or two if you have something with a stacking duration). If we can summon vast arcane and divine energies while an Orthon is pummeling us, we should be able to open a door with the same kind of concentration check.

I know it would be a significant change and probably a fair amount of programming, but I think it would be a really good change.
    I'm looking at you howler quills!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    I'm looking at you howler quills!!
    Oh god yes. I ran the chain yesterday and multiple times in Thrill of the Hunt and then Through a Mirror Darkly I had to wait ~90 seconds to use my mirror or simply open a door
    Orien: ][Vladtepes][Gelatinous][Lelitha]

Quote Originally Posted by Dabima View Post
    Oh god yes. I ran the chain yesterday and multiple times in Thrill of the Hunt and then Through a Mirror Darkly I had to wait ~90 seconds to use my mirror or simply open a door
    Yeah mirror is the worst. All those stupid quills in a quest where you spend half your time using the mirror and doors. What a fun combo!
    Sabathal and Sabbathiel of Sarlona

A somewhat easier change might be to have the DOT stop when you kill the mob that cast it. This would also encourage those pesky zergers which completely arbitrary penalties are already designed for to kill mobs before opening doors.

Default Cause & Effect

I disagree with the OPS request 100%.

Adventurer's there has to be cause and effect for gaming or setting of on an adventure. You are asking the game developers to progressively lift any adverse affect and/or limitation a player might have because a mob or monster attacked them. It may be an inconvenience for you to click on a door while DoT'd but thin of the inconvenience placed on the orc or bugbear when you invaded their home and cast spells or killed them. I don't make this point as a a joke but a player cannot expect to walk/run through a dungeon with little or no effect to them when fighting monsters. Lets get REAL in the fantasy game.

Without the cause & effect the game becomes boring. Waiting for an adverse effect to wear off is not a big price to pay.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post

Adventurer's there has to be cause and effect for gaming or setting of on an adventure. You are asking the game developers to progressively lift any adverse affect and/or limitation a player might have because a mob or monster attacked them. It may be an inconvenience for you to click on a door while DoT'd but thin of the inconvenience placed on the orc or bugbear when you invaded their home and cast spells or killed them. I don't make this point as a a joke but a player cannot expect to walk/run through a dungeon with little or no effect to them when fighting monsters. Lets get REAL in the fantasy game.

Without the cause & effect the game becomes boring. Waiting for an adverse effect to wear off is not a big price to pay.
    I agree with this, but I think Break Enchantment should get a boost to reliably remove DOT spells. On the other hand, Howler quills should be removed by some sort of Cleric/FVS spell. I'm thinking Close Wounds and/or Panacea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Community Member

Letting Conc guard against DOT interruption both gives Conc a purpose (outside of Monks), and makes absolute sense given that's exactly what you need to do to overcome distracting pain

How about if we ramp the damage up but the duration down? I'm all for having adverse effects but standing around for 60 seconds with something going "Plink, Plink" (in the case of the howler quills) is just annoying.
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    I agree with this, but I think Break Enchantment should get a boost to reliably remove DOT spells. On the other hand, Howler quills should be removed by some sort of Cleric/FVS spell. I'm thinking Close Wounds and/or Panacea.
    Great comment. The effect needs to be identified basically in two categories, 1) physical or 2) magical. Then there should be a solution in game for it similar to what Hipparan has suggested.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Let's see you say that when you can't cast a Heal on yourself because you have a dot on you, then.

Do you really think it makes sense that we can summon demons while taking damage, but can't open a door?
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

I'm greatly in favor of a Concentration check, but I'd also be happy with shorter durations on enemy DoT's. Howler Quills are also my main objection, if they were shortened I'd only moderately dislike them (like Divine Vengeance etc) instead of a wasted minute+ per occurrence.

Or as Hipparan said, allow the debuff to be removed reasonably (and even if Purge Dark Magics takes it off, I'd rather a wider option than a single Cleric enhancement that removes up to 3 stacks, I've had 15+ Howler Quill debuffs before).
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    Howler Quills are also my main objection, if they were shortened I'd only moderately dislike them (like Divine Vengeance etc) instead of a wasted minute+ per occurrence.
    As of a few patches ago, Quills were changed to allow a standard usage action (such as opening a door/valve) between their damage tics. I also made them less invisible. Is that no longer the case?
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

As of a few patches ago, Quills were changed to allow a standard usage action (such as opening a door/valve) between their damage tics. I also made them less invisible. Is that no longer the case?
    This works, you can do actions while being under the effects of Quill (from Howlers)
    "A child's eyes light up when they see their Grandpa."

Community Member

They still cancel door openings in Thrill of the Hunt (if memory serves), and Mirror usage in Mirror Darkly, which is worse because the mirror has an ICD so you cant just spam it till you get lucky

Community Member

Agreed with OP. This isn't that big of a deal, but it's definitely annoying.

I did an ITR just before the recent down time and ran Wheloon chain shortly after and I am fairly certain that mirror swaps were interrupted by quills. Not 100% certain and it has been a few days since I ran it but will pay closer attention next time, I suppose it could have been the burning blood that gets cast on me in there too.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    They still cancel door openings in Thrill of the Hunt (if memory serves), and Mirror usage in Mirror Darkly, which is worse because the mirror has an ICD so you cant just spam it till you get lucky
    This has been fixed in the recent patch as stated above by Lynnabel, if you have any kind of other issues - could always submit proof like a video recording of evidence, but I cannot reproduce it.. I also don't work for the team.... so...

Just trying to help out the team by getting evidence to make their life a little bit easier to know it exists.

EDIT: I haven't had these issues since the patch, but.... :shrug:
    "A child's eyes light up when they see their Grandpa."

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Swimms View Post
    I am fairly certain that mirror swaps were interrupted by quills.
    Ideally Quills - or really any damage - does interrupt induction bars, but with clever timing on your part you'll be able to at least get around. I timed it such that it's possible to at the very least open a door. I believe that the Mirror action is a non-standard duration (aka longer than the usual door or lever) to prevent a lot of weird behavior around teleporting in the same landblock too quickly.
    Last edited by Lynnabel; 03-15-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Community Member SpartanKiller13's Avatar

Ideally Quills - or really any damage - does interrupt induction bars, but with clever timing on your part you'll be able to at least get around. I timed it such that it's possible to at the very least open a door. I believe that the Mirror action is a non-standard duration (aka longer than the usual door or lever) to prevent a lot of weird behavior around teleporting in the same landblock too quickly.
    My current build is a DC caster so I tend to instakill howlers before they get me, but I'll give it a shot next time I'm in Mirror. I just have unpleasant memories and hate them with a burning passion.

Thanks for your work
    -Khysiria of Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by zehnvhex View Post
    Warlock is basically a ghetto Shiradi Sorc. You gives up some of the damage and self sustain for the ability to just hold down left click and yolo blast your way to victory.
    It's DDO. There are probably 6 different types of Evil damage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast