Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CeltEireson View Post
    The dual wielding bit - does that just double up the actual crossbow damage (including its own effects) or does it double all damage including sneak attack, umbues etc?
    It's two shots per click/attack, in the same way that a Repeater does three shots per click/attack. It functions the same way a Repeater does on its subsequent shots.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    It's two shots per click/attack, in the same way that a Repeater does three shots per click/attack. It functions the same way a Repeater does on its subsequent shots.
    so it's providing 2/3 the benefit of a repeater that costs a feat in most cases to use?
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    so it's providing 2/3 the benefit of a repeater that costs a feat in most cases to use?
    You get full doubleshot on each shot rather than 1/3 on a repeater and you shoot faster with the t5.
    Sabathal and Sabbathiel of Sarlona

Community Member

Default Simplest Inquisitive experiment

Isn't the simplest setup for this 18 Rogue/2 artificer?

26AP Mechanic
    41AP Inquisitive
    3 AP harper
    11AP Gnome or somesuch

Mechanic for all the crossbow damage and sneak attacks and int 2 damage
    Inquisitive just because
    Harper for Int 2 hit
    Gnome for crossbow stuff and color spray

2 levels of artificer for rune arm additional weapon damage and a bit of blasting.

Maybe do something more complex later?
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    Maximizing use of the diplo skill-
    Some notes:
    - Divine Presence/Will don't work with ranged weapons
    - Tiefling/Scoundrel's Obscuring Darkness isn't very useful due to the cooldown. However, for ranged builds who can remain stationary for most/all of a fight, they're actually quite effective buffs/debuffs.
    - Scion of Air can be problematic. You've got a Heavy Armor build, so the Dodge is largely useless. The electric damage is nice, but one problem the Scions tend to share is that they're actively counterproductive in certain circumstances. For example, if you're planning on fighting a Flesh Golem, your damage will drop to almost nothing due to the healing effect. So if you're planning to use weapons combat, you really want immunity breaking for your Scion element - or use Scion of Feywild (since nothing heals from Sonic).
    - The emphasis on Diplomacy might mean that a 'Summoner' build of some sort, utilizing Augment Summoning and similar abilities might be worthwhile for solo'ing.

2016, 2018 Player Council Member Ziindarax's Avatar

Default My thoughts and feedback on Inquisitive Theorycrafting:

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think it'd be good to share our thoughts and approaches to Inq since the preview is so short and we want to test the extreme cases and prep our builds for release day while we can still test them out in-game

I think the best synergy might be with Ranger. DWS is a nice tree to spend those extra 27 points after Inq and Harper...gives you a really nice second spammable DPS attack that gives high sneak damage uptime, some sneak die to go with it (plus whatever you get from gear), prr, and Killer looks to be good with how quick Inqs can chain kills. Merciful Shot has the chance to proc up to 4x depending on your doubleshot rolls. And Ranger has a lot baked in that's nice - most of the ranged feats early on plus self heals, then 9 gets you Evasion, 11 gets you IPS, 12 gets you the DWS core for 10% fort bypass, 14 gets you FOM.

Fighter Kensei is the other tree I think pairs really well with Inq+Harp. Generic damage, extra ABs, lots of Dodge bonuses, and fort bypass. Inquis gets basically 25% fort bypass from Imp. Observation, Precision is 25% more, 5% guild buff, then gear's going to be another 20-35%, so Shattering Shot + Imp Destruction on Hit in Kensei might be a little overkill in fact. Thats why I think DWS is the right balance, its just enough fort bypass (10%) to hit 100 with a TF Xbow with 35% bypass. Fighter gets extra feats of course too.

I'm thinking the ideal split might be something like 14 Rgr 4 Fighter 2 Arti. Get all the Ranger goodness, Runearms (more as a stat stick than for the dps) and trapping, and then ALL the feats. ALL of them. Ranger autogrant, Arti xbow autogrant, and 4 bonus Fighter feats. Or if you didnt need the feats you could go /6 arti, lets you save a few AP on Int to dmg, and you get Lightning Sphere if you can keep your DC high enough as a spammable AOE daze, more for solo than group of course.
    When I was on Lamannia, I had tested a 15 wizard, 3 fighter, 2 artificer warforged build. If I had had Racial Completionist, I would have been able to get even more mileage from the build with respect to healing from heal scrolls (on top of Reconstruct).

What I did was I took the artificer levels first for trap skills, and then I took 3 levels of fighter afterwards to get Adamantine Armor plating. With the Stalwart Defensive stance, and most of the Eldritch Knight Cores, I was able to get maximum protection for no spell-failure. Inquisitive's "Law on your side" with "Jaded" (to get maximum damage against all opponents) combines rather will with the spell sword. In my limited tests, I was able to determine that while not invulnerable, (and the DC's struggled to land in some of the LE content I ran) the build was able to hold it's own in some quests, and it's even able to disarm LE-level traps on a roll of 10 (without any +20 to disarm or +5 toolkits). Furthermore, the boost to UMD made the Inquisitor truly an omni-proficient character (int to hit and damage, along with fighter proficiencies) who could almost easily fit into a tanking roll as well as a melee. The ability to equip and get decent damage out of most nearly any rune arm further boosted this build's dps (when I remembered to charge and fire said rune arm) despite only having 2 levels of artificer.

Ranged Power could use a bit of love in Shiradi (the tree itself could as well, for Otto's rarely worked at Legendary level).
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival

Quote Originally Posted by Hjarki View Post
    Some notes:
    - Divine Presence/Will don't work with ranged weapons
    That's stupid.

- The emphasis on Diplomacy might mean that a 'Summoner' build of some sort, utilizing Augment Summoning and similar abilities might be worthwhile for solo'ing.
    That sounds... really awesome =P
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Gigglelock| | Zeriyn - Woof

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    You get full doubleshot on each shot rather than 1/3 on a repeater and you shoot faster with the t5.
    Aye, that's what I was thinking along with all the other bonuses in mechanic for non-repeating xbows which should apply such as the 4 x sharpshooter (+2 damage and +1 sneak attack dice), sniper - +2W and +3SA dice.

That's a fair amount - now doubled per shot on top of whatever other bonuses you get from inquisitive.

Community Member

Aye, that's what I was thinking along with all the other bonuses in mechanic for non-repeating xbows which should apply such as the 4 x sharpshooter (+2 damage and +1 sneak attack dice), sniper - +2W and +3SA dice.
    The difficulty is that those bonuses are from Mechanic T5. Since T5 Inquisitive gets those same bonuses and Endless Fusilade, Mechanic doesn't make all that much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Morninglord's Crossbows are terrible from level 20-28.
    Does 20-28 gear even exist in this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    Does 20-28 gear even exist in this game?
    unless u are wk opt farming, yes, it does

citw is the best example lol
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hjarki View Post
    The difficulty is that those bonuses are from Mechanic T5. Since T5 Inquisitive gets those same bonuses and Endless Fusilade, Mechanic doesn't make all that much sense.
    Well as far as I can tell all the abilities stack (apart from crit range/multiplier) - so basically taking one all the way only locks out tier 5 / cap of the other. I'd probably prefer the inquisitor capstone, but from the looks of it I wouldn't say the tier 5s were much different powerwise.

Community Member

Default nvm

nvm this is for me not others
    Last edited by Tilomere; 03-23-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Community Member

Steelstar, quick but possibly stupid question re fusillade and no holds barred. Do these abilities have a set fire rate i.e. no of shots per second (not talking about no of bolts - I'm assuming that they fire the standard number of bolts per shot that they would normally do, taking into account xbow type or dual shooter) regardless of type of crossbow and is the fire rate for them effected by things like haste and/or alacrity bonuses in the same way the rate of base attacks are.

Steelstar, quick but possibly stupid question re fusillade and no holds barred. Do these abilities have a set fire rate i.e. no of shots per second (not talking about no of bolts - I'm assuming that they fire the standard number of bolts per shot that they would normally do, taking into account xbow type or dual shooter) regardless of type of crossbow and is the fire rate for them effected by things like haste and/or alacrity bonuses in the same way the rate of base attacks are.
    All they do is skip the reload portion of the animation cycle - Everything else is affected exactly like normal attacks are.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    All they do is skip the reload portion of the animation cycle - Everything else is affected exactly like normal attacks are.
    Thanks, that helps

Community Member

nvm will never happen
    Last edited by Tilomere; 03-23-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Don't worry,
    They will have new 15 and 29 xbows
    For the 29, just eat a epic ottos and wahlaa
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12