Default Ki Shout & Intimidate skill?

Wiki sez that Shintao Tier I's Ki Shout is bugged, and uses Intimidate rather than Concentration.

Is this still the case? Is taking some (cross-class) ranks in Intimidate helpful/necessary? Or would that few extra bonuses not help enough to matter?

Trying to plan a Monk, and wondering whether skill points for Intimidate would help that much or no.

Tia!

Sadly it is indeed broken and uses Intimidate rather than Concentration. It is an utter waste of AP as you can just use Intimidate anyways for free while also getting the advantage of Linguistics items, which Ki Shout didn't get. Unfortunately with Intimidate as a cross class skill, little native ways to increase it, and stat tax on a class that is already item taxed for unarmed DPS , and you'll have a rough time getting end game Intimidate levels. You can certainly still do it, but some bosses will be out of your reach.

It used to work, but devs say they can't fix it because they aren't able to mix checks. That flabbergasts me to this day as it wasn't a problem for years and they have Lock Bash that uses an Intimidate check for Open Lock in the game right now. Sure, that move technically should also be applying STR modifier, but Ki Shout wasn't looking to add extra abilities... just skill check swap.

I really hope they'll get around to fixing it and look to keep the Concentration to Intimidate check. I *liked* the concept of a Monk tank mixing Threat and shout to keep aggro, and I want that back.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

Half to agree 100% w/ that sentiment, on all counts.

Ah well - but thanks for the straight shot!

Ya, this is basically another nerf to monks
    They knocked them off the pedastal hard
    Kinda like to the curb

I used to use it to pull aggro off the casters
    Or just to get monsters to even attack me,
    Since they always run by

I don't know what their problem is
    Ki shout used to work

Maybe we can petition it when they get around to redoing tank aggro
    How a tank is gonna hold aggro without intim is beyond me tho
    You know they don't got the dps, so maybe something new
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Community Member

I really want this fixed as well, I have an earth stance monk who heavily benefits from this having a high constitution score and is built as sort of an off-tank. Ki shout had a period of time where it was broken before and when they fixed it(had a 15 second cooldown though) it was an awesome combo with whirlwind attack.

I wouldn't mind if they swapped it out for a similar but effective ability, like something that does a minor amount of AOE sonic damage with ridiculously high threat generation, reflex save based on concentration skill. This would have a similar effect to before, be mechanically possible to code, and still give benefits to those with high concentration+CON.

Either that or just make it shout or greater shout as a SLA that costs ki. I'd much rather have something that draws threat but as it is right now Ki Shout is pretty much useless.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vish View Post
    maybe we can petition it when they get around to redoing tank aggro
    signed

Couple the broken Shout with the upcoming melee agro reduction item, you can watch the casters get steamrolled. "No, sorry, can't taunt, SSG's Monk Agro Management Plan".

If they made INTIM a monk class skill, that would at least alleviate the problem slightly, and might be a better solution than worrying about KI Shout recoding.
    Making a "taunt SLA" might also be an easier way, if they're having a hard time coding it, but I don't know how they can do Bash on locks, and not know how.
    Last edited by DRoark; 05-03-2019 at 06:46 PM.