Community Member

Angry When did the DDO Store start charging sales Tax?

So I have been gone for about two months and I logged in today to buy some double bonus point goodness. Bad thing is, I got charged 8.25% sales tax, and have never been charged before. I live in Alaska, which has no sales tax. Is this a new thing, or is it just an error?

Recently. I was surprised.

I got charged a 5% Sales Tax which is correct for my county.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Varmok View Post
    So I have been gone for about two months and I logged in today to buy some double bonus point goodness. Bad thing is, I got charged 8.25% sales tax, and have never been charged before. I live in Alaska, which has no sales tax. Is this a new thing, or is it just an error?
    In June of last year the US Supreme Court ruled that States (Counties and Municipalities where applicable) could collect Sales Tax on transactions over the Internet. Over the past year resellers have been adjusting their collection to include Sales Tax, including the back end of DDO/LOTRO for Standing Stone Games.

I believe the sales tax determination is based upon the location of registration for your IP address, at least that is the case for several resellers. If your IP address is registered in say Washington State than you could be charged the 9.19% rather than the 0% (plus local Counties/Municipality) rate of Alaska. The first thing to do is to check with your ISP and see where the IP range they have assigned you is located. Than contact SSG with that information.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post

I believe the sales tax determination is based upon the location of registration for your IP address, at least that is the case for several resellers. If your IP address is registered in say Washington State than you could be charged the 9.19% rather than the 0% (plus local Counties/Municipality) rate of Alaska. The first thing to do is to check with your ISP and see where the IP range they have assigned you is located. Than contact SSG with that information.
    Good point.

I'll bet the OP's ISP is a satellite internet provider (Dish, HughesNet, WildBlue, etc.) and I'll also bet where his ISP's network operations are headquartered or where they assign IP addresses, there's an 8.25% sales tax.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Sorry if this is off topic.

Is sales tax the same as value added tax (VAT)?

Sorry English is my second language.

We have been charged VAT for some years now in Europe including transactions over the internet.

I am asking because i now worry that they are not the same and i will get charged both...?
    Check out my website for calculating DPS and damage mitigation: http://mmlddo.com

Sales tax is a U.S thing and it varies from state to state.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    Sorry if this is off topic.

Is sales tax the same as value added tax (VAT)?

Sorry English is my second language.

We have been charged VAT for some years now in Europe including transactions over the internet.

I am asking because i now worry that they are not the same and i will get charged both...?
    They are similar, but not the same.

Sales Tax used to be charged in the Uk but was replaced with VAT (which is also used in the rest of the EU) - which is a far more complex tax, although it may not seem so to the final purchaser.

You won't be charged both.
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    In June of last year the US Supreme Court ruled that States (Counties and Municipalities where applicable) could collect Sales Tax on transactions over the Internet. Over the past year resellers have been adjusting their collection to include Sales Tax, including the back end of DDO/LOTRO for Standing Stone Games.

Just to clarify, there was always an obligation of paying sales tax on internet transactions, just like any other transaction. In most states you were suppose to include this amount on your state tax return. The ruling actually now requires vendors to collect the sales tax on these transactions, acting as the state agent just like brick and mortar stores.

click germany
    click france
    click uk

profit
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Community Member

Thanks to the Supreme Court ruling several months back, you'll find that many gaming, online stores, and eCommerce related businesses have started adding in sales tax onto their goods and services. Different companies handled this in different ways. Some companies just add the sales tax of the reported location of the purchaser, while other companies raised their prices between 10-15% for everyone to compensate for the need to collect sales tax and to keep price discrepancy between regions to a minimum.

Long and short of it, expect to see a sales tax on most online purchases gaming or otherwise for most things in the States. Uncle Sam has to make sure he gets his. And friendly reminder since I sometimes forget myself: Sales tax is applied on top of the listed amount. (i.e. I live in Las Vegas, and combined sales tax is 8.25% so a $9.99 list price ends up being $10.81) Now that said, I've been charged both 8.25% by some online companies and 4.6% (which is Nevada state sales tax only and doesn't include county tax rate of 3.65%), so

As far as specific sales tax is your state and being charged in a state with no sales tax, that's hard to say. Could be an error or simply a way for SSG to cover their rears to make sure their don't get hit with tax issues later on. Can't say for certain.
    I'm a Bard... I don't just take down enemies... I do it with style!... oh and lots of Music Buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    click germany
    click france
    click uk

profit
    lemme quote myself, it's working right now with sharn prepurchase
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm