Community Member

Default Returning player, need Monk Wisdom.

Heh, see what I did there? Anyway, returning from 2014 or so.. a lot has changed since then.

Back then, my favorite character hands-down was my Monk. Versatile, agile, strong; able to withstand and outright bypass some things that would have otherwise killed my other melee characters. Fantastic. I even took the Light Path for self-sustain for myself and my group, and loved it.

That said, apparently before I quit years ago, I had TRed. My Monk is currently 18/20, with a wide variety of wraps ranging from DR breakers, Elemental Burst wraps, to Tharaak Wraps.. so in this regard, for now, I think I'm okay. However!

I'd like to build my Monk to be good for post-20 content.. which is something I know VERY little about, because at the time I quit, Epic Destinies were a brand-new thing that I knew nothing about then, and now there are Epic Levels, Feats, etc., and I just don't know where to even start again. That said, I'd be following a WIS build again, as I want the DCs of my special abilities (Stunning Fist, Quivering Palm, etc.) to be good. I also notice there's now a Falconry Enhancement Tree with a WIS-to-hit/damage modifier, which is fantastic! (Such a thing didn't exist back in the day.)

I also see that wraps were finally added to the Greensteel (and now Legendary Greensteel) crafting table.. which is also good. Min2 stuff was pretty much a default choice for all players back when I used to play, so I was thinking of maybe crafting up some of those to have just in case.

Anyway, all of that out of the way.. here's what I had in mind:

1. Level Monk to 20 again.
    2. Eat a +7 all stat tome, because more stats. (Currently have +3s across the board.)
    3. Craft GS Min2 wraps if absolutely necessary for some point(s) in the game. Maybe another pair also?
    4. TR once more (this would be my second TR) for a 36 point build.

Are Human still a viable race for Monks, due to the extra Feat? I notice my Monk has taken Toughness twice, so I suppose I could get away with -1 Feat and still be okay if some other race is vastly better now.

I've been told numerous times now that the Falconry tree is something I should purchase, along with Ravenloft. Is this the case? Coming back to the game, I would likely go VIP, but I do not own any of the expansions. Should I buy them, or would buying them all be unnecessary at this point?

Basically what I'm wanting is a WIS-built Monk that's as powerful as it can be for 1-20 content, and post-20 content, without giving up much (if anything) in the way of defensive ability (be it AC or saves/etc.). Due to the nature of the game now, and the massive amount of stuff that has changed, I'm unsure if certain feats while leveling during the 1-20 stage are necessary as they were in the past.

Are there any guides/builds available that basically cater to what I'm asking about? Maximum melee output, while maintaining defensive/evasive/self-sustaining capabilities?

Anyway, I'd like to play again obviously, but I'm pretty lost as to what happens after level 20. Epic Destinies, Epic levels/feats, etc. I don't want to screw up a build and somehow not be viable for that kind of content. I'm not particularly interested in Completionism, so this 36p build would likely be my last TR for this character unless I got super bored somewhere down the line.

Anyway, thanks all!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Requimatic View Post
    Heh, see what I did there? Anyway, returning from 2014 or so.. a lot has changed since then.

Back then, my favorite character hands-down was my Monk. Versatile, agile, strong; able to withstand and outright bypass some things that would have otherwise killed my other melee characters. Fantastic. I even took the Light Path for self-sustain for myself and my group, and loved it.

That said, apparently before I quit years ago, I had TRed. My Monk is currently 18/20, with a wide variety of wraps ranging from DR breakers, Elemental Burst wraps, to Tharaak Wraps.. so in this regard, for now, I think I'm okay. However!

I'd like to build my Monk to be good for post-20 content.. which is something I know VERY little about, because at the time I quit, Epic Destinies were a brand-new thing that I knew nothing about then, and now there are Epic Levels, Feats, etc., and I just don't know where to even start again. That said, I'd be following a WIS build again, as I want the DCs of my special abilities (Stunning Fist, Quivering Palm, etc.) to be good. I also notice there's now a Falconry Enhancement Tree with a WIS-to-hit/damage modifier, which is fantastic! (Such a thing didn't exist back in the day.)

I also see that wraps were finally added to the Greensteel (and now Legendary Greensteel) crafting table.. which is also good. Min2 stuff was pretty much a default choice for all players back when I used to play, so I was thinking of maybe crafting up some of those to have just in case.

Anyway, all of that out of the way.. here's what I had in mind:

1. Level Monk to 20 again.
    2. Eat a +7 all stat tome, because more stats. (Currently have +3s across the board.)
    3. Craft GS Min2 wraps if absolutely necessary for some point(s) in the game. Maybe another pair also?
    4. TR once more (this would be my second TR) for a 36 point build.

Are Human still a viable race for Monks, due to the extra Feat? I notice my Monk has taken Toughness twice, so I suppose I could get away with -1 Feat and still be okay if some other race is vastly better now.

I've been told numerous times now that the Falconry tree is something I should purchase, along with Ravenloft. Is this the case? Coming back to the game, I would likely go VIP, but I do not own any of the expansions. Should I buy them, or would buying them all be unnecessary at this point?

Basically what I'm wanting is a WIS-built Monk that's as powerful as it can be for 1-20 content, and post-20 content, without giving up much (if anything) in the way of defensive ability (be it AC or saves/etc.). Due to the nature of the game now, and the massive amount of stuff that has changed, I'm unsure if certain feats while leveling during the 1-20 stage are necessary as they were in the past.

Are there any guides/builds available that basically cater to what I'm asking about? Maximum melee output, while maintaining defensive/evasive/self-sustaining capabilities?

Anyway, I'd like to play again obviously, but I'm pretty lost as to what happens after level 20. Epic Destinies, Epic levels/feats, etc. I don't want to screw up a build and somehow not be viable for that kind of content. I'm not particularly interested in Completionism, so this 36p build would likely be my last TR for this character unless I got super bored somewhere down the line.

Anyway, thanks all!
    I suggest u to follow

Shintao reaper optimized build

By symbiont

Have u access to falconry ?
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    I suggest u to follow

Shintao reaper optimized build

By symbiont

Have u access to falconry ?
    Not yet, no. I hadn't started back just quite yet because I didn't want to screw around and mess anything up. I figured DDO is well worth spending money on again, so I was going to drop some cash on things I might need for such a build.. the +7 all stat tome, Falconry tree, any adventure packs I may need, expansion(s), etc.

Plus VIP, of course.

Edit: oh, also.. is there some form of updated leveling guide available anywhere at all? Back in the day it was basically "clear everything everywhere on the highest difficulty you could two or three times, then move on".. I imagine now, with much more content, there are a variety of options available to folks.

Also, thanks!

Edit2: Good gods that build is intense. I wonder, though.. it doesn't appear to be updated with Falconry in mind for WIS builds. Although their WIS/DEX are pretty close. To that extent I suppose I wouldn't mind a DEX build.. but might make DCs on things while leveling a little wonky. Maybe.
    Last edited by Requimatic; 03-03-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Check out my thread,
    Theory crafting the celestial monk, in monk

Max wisdom aasimar with falconry
    It's near the last couple pages with build notes

So this is my advise to new players,
    VIP
    +8 supreme tome
    Aasimar race
    Ravenloft

If you get that you will be able to pretty much build it
    Sounds like you're on that track, so good for you

If you have any questions, ask
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    Check out my thread,
    Theory crafting the celestial monk, in monk

Max wisdom aasimar with falconry
    It's near the last couple pages with build notes

So this is my advise to new players,
    VIP
    +8 supreme tome
    Aasimar race
    Ravenloft

If you get that you will be able to pretty much build it
    Sounds like you're on that track, so good for you

If you have any questions, ask
    Sounds good to me.

As far as must-have wraps go, I've got a pretty wide variety of wraps to use for all levels, including uniques like Vampiric Stonedust, ML16? (Normal) Ivy Wraps, etc. Would you say Min2 GS (non-legendary) are worth crafting to have as DR breakers? I've probably got excess materials lying around I could craft them with if need be. I know some of the enhancements from the Shintao tree allow for partial DR breaking, but not all of them.. though I don't recall which were unable to be broken with those enhancements alone.

Any other must-have wraps I could get before a TR, or are able to be put off until later?

Ok on wraps
    For the most part, I just used vorpal wraps to level
    You can get them in chests and end rewards
    Vorpal and improved vorpal (ml15 or 16) drop like candy nowadays
    Thou can prob find low level as you relevel your 36 pointer
    Otherwise, I keep a pair of the wraps from Shan ti kor, those are good at very low levels
    And at 20, a pair of grave wrappings. You can sentient them soon as you go epic at 20
    I don't have Greensteel wraps, just used vorpals to level
    Oh ya, there is also scraps of enlightenment, from archons chain
    Those are good to have too

Caveat. Monk dps was nerfed in heroics recently
    I haven't ran a Shintao since, so I don't know how dps is...
    But monks are still strong with stunning fist and tomb of jade
    You should do fine, I see plenty wraps monks still tearing it up in heroics

Also, new system sentient. Can sentient named weapons lvl 20 and higher
    However, the filagree from the drops in high level quests, aka ravenloft
    So you've got to deal with filling out your epic destinies, and eventually collecting filagree to sentient your weapons.
    Ya, you need to buy epic destinies. I think 1k in store, or free with motu expansion
    Can usually get motu expansion on sale cheap

Also tomes,
    +8 is best, but expensive, and on sale selectively
    +7 will do you just fine
    I suggest you apply them before you tr
    That way they will apply to your new 36 pt build
    Can't remember if my build needs them to level feats,
    That build had +6s, so you should be fine
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    Ok on wraps
    For the most part, I just used vorpal wraps to level
    You can get them in chests and end rewards
    Vorpal and improved vorpal (ml15 or 16) drop like candy nowadays
    Thou can prob find low level as you relevel your 36 pointer
    Otherwise, I keep a pair of the wraps from Shan ti kor, those are good at very low levels
    And at 20, a pair of grave wrappings. You can sentient them soon as you go epic at 20
    I don't have Greensteel wraps, just used vorpals to level
    Oh ya, there is also scraps of enlightenment, from archons chain
    Those are good to have too

Caveat. Monk dps was nerfed in heroics recently
    I haven't ran a Shintao since, so I don't know how dps is...
    But monks are still strong with stunning fist and tomb of jade
    You should do fine, I see plenty wraps monks still tearing it up in heroics

Also, new system sentient. Can sentient named weapons lvl 20 and higher
    However, the filagree from the drops in high level quests, aka ravenloft
    So you've got to deal with filling out your epic destinies, and eventually collecting filagree to sentient your weapons.
    Ya, you need to buy epic destinies. I think 1k in store, or free with motu expansion
    Can usually get motu expansion on sale cheap

Also tomes,
    +8 is best, but expensive, and on sale selectively
    +7 will do you just fine
    I suggest you apply them before you tr
    That way they will apply to your new 36 pt build
    Can't remember if my build needs them to level feats,
    That build had +6s, so you should be fine
    Cool deal, thanks for the info! I've actually got a pair of Grave Wrappings (I believe..) and a pair of Antipode, ready to go for whenever. I've heard about the ones from the Archon chain, apparently they're really good? I also noticed the Sentience thing on them when I was looking through my inventory, and wondered what that was all about.

Epic Destinies was something I never quite understood, but then again they were basically brand new the last time I quit, so there wasn't a lot of information available. I came back a little bit after that, when they had just added epic levels (I believe), and was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of new stuff to get in to that I just didn't bother, heh.

That said, it looks like I'm at least going to need to buy Ravenloft, and possibly other things as well.

Community Member

Cool deal, thanks for the info! I've actually got a pair of Grave Wrappings (I believe..) and a pair of Antipode, ready to go for whenever. I've heard about the ones from the Archon chain, apparently they're really good? I also noticed the Sentience thing on them when I was looking through my inventory, and wondered what that was all about.

Epic Destinies was something I never quite understood, but then again they were basically brand new the last time I quit, so there wasn't a lot of information available. I came back a little bit after that, when they had just added epic levels (I believe), and was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of new stuff to get in to that I just didn't bother, heh.

That said, it looks like I'm at least going to need to buy Ravenloft, and possibly other things as well.
    Consider a new expansion is coming in few months...
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

Ravenloft is indeed a pretty important expansion these days as it contains BiS gear. It is also the best expansion story/quest wise - my only problem with the expansion was the cost. The first two expansions were amazing deals with each higher tier gaining you more value. This last one they nickle and dimed everything and then inflated costs with cosmetics/pets. Just get the cheapest pack unless the cosmetics/stuff in the other packs are actually worth it to you as there is no value proposition to them.

As for packs, considerations:
    - Against the Slave Lords: This pack contains Slave Lords crafting and the best DPS helm in the game. Slave Lords crafting allows you to fill gaps on the Tetris game that is gearing your character no matter your class, so worth it for anyone.

- Trials of the Archons: This pack contains Scraps of Enlightenment, which are the ones you mentioned and great leveling wraps that you can use from 13 to 20. This also has Visions of Precision, which are raid goggles that are amazing at 26 and a good WIS/Ki item to have for other possible gear layouts.

- Dragonblood Prophecy: This pack I'd say save until you hit 30. But it contains the latest end-game raid, so with this + Ravenloft you'll be able to run with other LFM raids. It also contains the Trinket of Freewill, the only +9 Insightful WIS item in the game Monks can wear that also comes loaded with anti-CC and MRR.

It sounds like you already have Menace of the Underdark, which is important for Epic Destinies and leveling handwraps (Grave Wrappings and Antipodes). With those two expansions and those three packs, you'll have everything to equip your Monk well through all levels and at cap.

Of course the upcoming expansion, Masterminds of Sharn, will likely change all the gear layouts you see on the forums currently, so be ready for that.

There are plenty of threads with builds here, and I've put my opinions on many. If you're on Thelanis, feel free to hit me up and ask me any questions there, and I can even help you level. Some day I'll make my own build thread, if I can ever catch up to the game and reach my final build state. The Sharn expansion will be delaying that.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

Community Member

Not yet, no. I hadn't started back just quite yet because I didn't want to screw around and mess anything up. I figured DDO is well worth spending money on again, so I was going to drop some cash on things I might need for such a build.. the +7 all stat tome, Falconry tree, any adventure packs I may need, expansion(s), etc.

Plus VIP, of course.

Edit: oh, also.. is there some form of updated leveling guide available anywhere at all? Back in the day it was basically "clear everything everywhere on the highest difficulty you could two or three times, then move on".. I imagine now, with much more content, there are a variety of options available to folks.

Also, thanks!

Edit2: Good gods that build is intense. I wonder, though.. it doesn't appear to be updated with Falconry in mind for WIS builds. Although their WIS/DEX are pretty close. To that extent I suppose I wouldn't mind a DEX build.. but might make DCs on things while leveling a little wonky. Maybe.

I suggest you to read the fulll thread

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...per-optimized)

is full of info about monk, not only the build

returning to the build if u lack Falconry you can follow the same build except maxing wisdom instead of dex
    In game in Cannith as
    GODS

And welcome back!

I've been playing a monk as my main for 11 years and it's still pretty similar, the main thing that's changed recently is you can now use WIS for hit and dmg, so you don't need to split into wis for DCs and DEX or STR for hitting things. You can basically max WIS now and still be great at hitting things. Human and Aasimar are the best races choices, aasimar mainly for the self heal. Most AP splits are 42 shintao, either 0 or 11 in ninja and everything else in falconry for the WIS hit/dmg. Featwise, most monks are optimized around getting Whirlwind strike + TWF line. I run around in Water Stance and have a wis of around 80 with all the gear, +6 tomes but without using temp pots, tons of past lives, etc. Note that if you don't have Falconry, get it; it's awesome.

The core monk tactics of stun it, hit it, move around to not get hit, find the next thing to stun hasn't really changed. Dire Charge at level 27/28 is a AoE stun that is awesome when used with blitz and whirlwind.

+20 the game is largely the same outside of reaper with the most important Epic Destinies is the Legendary Dreadnaught which means optimising around blitz. GMOF is a bit better for surviveability solo play in non reaper, but in reaper, it's all about DPS. You could level you LD and GMoF desitinies and just stop there. Beyond that, the only other important ability for twists is probalby rejuvenation cocoon, which is a great self heal for solo, noon-reaper play.

The party tactics playstyle has changed a bit as reaper has been introduced, the emphasis has shifted back further to crowd control and getting things dead fast. If you remember the old game approach of CC + heavy pick everything to death, we're almost back to that. Thanks to power creep stunning fist DCs can now routinely be over 110+ and you may actually need that much to no fail stun things.
    Kodraith / Xanxibar / Xinibar / Lensgrinder :: Lava Divers of Khyber :: I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by DrawingGuy View Post
    Scraps of Enlightenment, which are the ones you mentioned and great leveling wraps that you can use from 13 to 20.
    How do you rate the handout morninglord/barovian wraps?

Just with basic testing they seem to be a bit more useful against more things, and from lv 10 - I mean, reaper scaling diminishes the extra effect damage, but they dont seem far off on base, especially if you had already taken icrit.

If just focusing on base damage, wouldn't knuckles be better considering the superior crit range?

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    How do you rate the handout morninglord/barovian wraps?

Just with basic testing they seem to be a bit more useful against more things, and from lv 10 - I mean, reaper scaling diminishes the extra effect damage, but they dont seem far off on base, especially if you had already taken icrit.

If just focusing on base damage, wouldn't knuckles be better considering the superior crit range?
    Morninglord/Barovian wraps are good. Scraps flat beat them out because they have +1[W] from Impact, Reinforced Fists give you item flexibility, and Impact means you can save your Improved Crit until later and take TWF feats instead. They are also the same bypasses as Shintao cores give you Silver bypass at 12 and Scraps have good. So Barovian can take you from 10-13, but I would definitely change from there.

Knuckles becomes a question of procs + TWF feat advantage vs crit profile. I haven't really crunched the numbers, and what difficulty you run would matter a lot. I run with both, and my not listing it was more of a factor of forgetting as I've been doing a lot of non-monk lives recently. Just remember that only the Elite version is worthwhile in heroics. They are the only ones with die and crit modifiers. The Normal/Hard versions faced the same fate of many pre-U33 wraps and have no die modifiers on top of no Monk class feature, losing a fair chunk.

Luckily Heroics are not hard enough to matter. While I think the deletion of the Monk class feature was terrible for balance of Heroics, that is a saving grace that means everyone is still playable.

That does remind me that I may need to re-evaluate the use of Antipodes. Antipodes are great due to all the abilities on them (freeing up gear slots) on top of giving you every single alignment bypass. That made it worth the 2.5[W] loss (or 3[W] against Elite 25 version) to me, especially with Sentients to make weapon swapping more punishing. Though losing another 2.5[W] from the nerf in the middle of Reaper scaling could push that too far. I'll probably end up re-evaluating my epic leveling gear setups to main Knuckles.

Though if they refuse to roll back the class feature destruction, and instead turn it against the item tax (Reinforced Fists) if the nerf is still deemed as needed, they should at least update all the older wraps to have die scaling. Antipodes at a 2.5 or 3[W] would put them ahead of Knuckles pretty handily.
    Last edited by DrawingGuy; 03-09-2019 at 06:57 AM.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)