Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Forum Heyday

  1. #1
    Community Member AkromaAoW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Coast of US
    Posts
    640

    Default Forum Heyday

    I lament that the Thelanis forums are so dead these days and have been for years. I miss the time when Ren, Womp and other Legion personalities where running rampant and sparring with me. Mr. Cow was providing guidance on all things DDO, Bunk and Shyv would be touting some latest achievement, and we had Silver Waffles. Members of Maelstrom, Giant Slayers, IFV, DWAT, Bane, Pestilence and others too numerous for me to name had voices here.

    Some of these folks are still around, and many have been gone for years. With a game that has been going for 13 years, I guess many have run out of things to say, or have long since lost interest in spirited forum dialogue. In any case, the forum voices are largely silent.

    What can I say? I miss all of your chatter.

    Best regards,

    E.
    ArtEriik: Leader of Tharashk's Dragon Snacks, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik, and other Eriik somethings
    Proud member of ARCHANGELS

  2. #2
    Community Member Bunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    With the rise in other forms of social medias, I would say that is 1 of a few reasons that these forums lay quiet.

    It could also be said that the forums are quiet due to over policing of the forums.

    Or maybe we all just said it all, and there is nothing left to say.

    Either way, we see each other in game from time to time.

    -Bunk

    P.S. Perhaps we are just all getting too old for this part of the DDO experience.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    895

    Default

    ... more than words can say?
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis

  4. #4
    Community Member AkromaAoW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Coast of US
    Posts
    640

    Default Social Media

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    With the rise in other forms of social medias, I would say that is 1 of a few reasons that these forums lay quiet.

    It could also be said that the forums are quiet due to over policing of the forums.

    Or maybe we all just said it all, and there is nothing left to say.

    Either way, we see each other in game from time to time.

    -Bunk

    P.S. Perhaps we are just all getting too old for this part of the DDO experience.

    Minus this forum, I don't touch social media. It's curious how things change, though. If anyone cares to spend a few minutes researching it, I am curious what the status of social media was back in 2006 at the start of DDO.

    E.
    ArtEriik: Leader of Tharashk's Dragon Snacks, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik, and other Eriik somethings
    Proud member of ARCHANGELS

  5. #5
    Community Member DrawingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    My place
    Posts
    975

    Default

    I do think that the essential death of forums as a main form of social media is a factor - we went from almost every site to having their own forums to using Twitter/Facebook pages, and people's habits have changed. However I don't think that is the main culprit. Some other factors:

    - Almost all itemization is now BtC and BtA. This has killed the trade economy, and this was one of the main reasons to go into your individual servers forums. Without that reason, much of the traffic was lost. I went from being able to post something and getting a dozen requests in the same day to zero responses in a month.
    - With almost no reason to come into server forums (no trade, most guilds pre-plan quests/raids within their own guild, and static group LFMs have their own section), many chats have turned to the general thread.
    - Low activity begets low activity. Almost every thread has less than a half dozen responses in the last year with many even having 0. Why create a thread when you know it will not be responded to? A vicious cycle.

    If they ever start making real unbound items again, I think that would do a lot for the activity of this section. There's also always just creating threads and hoping. Having more activity will help remove one of the issues I listed and could encourage more people to check this section and thus have more threads, etc.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkromaAoW View Post
    Minus this forum, I don't touch social media. It's curious how things change, though. If anyone cares to spend a few minutes researching it, I am curious what the status of social media was back in 2006 at the start of DDO.

    E.
    I started Twitter towards the end of 2008, which should be relatively early in its history. Facebook was already proliferating back then (not as much as now). Instagram was not a thing yet I think. Forums and discussion boards by large, were still a thing though. Dial that back 2 years you probably had more forums still and less Facebook.

    Generally over the past decade or so we have enjoyed better internet access and speeds overall so more and more information was being tossed around on those platforms (with pics! play vids! etc.) rather than being concentrated on the forums. These channels add a slightly more personal touch to the content as well, I guess.

    DDO forum (or older forum codes in general) is also unwieldy on mobile devices, so it's not particularly handy to read up on a build when you're commuting or something, compared to just throwing a screenshot of a new shiny through your phone onto social media.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis

  7. #7
    Community Member weyoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Durm
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkromaAoW View Post
    I lament that the Thelanis forums are so dead these days and have been for years. I miss the time when Ren, Womp and other Legion personalities where running rampant and sparring with me. Mr. Cow was providing guidance on all things DDO, Bunk and Shyv would be touting some latest achievement, and we had Silver Waffles. Members of Maelstrom, Giant Slayers, IFV, DWAT, Bane, Pestilence and others too numerous for me to name had voices here.

    Some of these folks are still around, and many have been gone for years. With a game that has been going for 13 years, I guess many have run out of things to say, or have long since lost interest in spirited forum dialogue. In any case, the forum voices are largely silent.

    What can I say? I miss all of your chatter.

    Best regards,

    E.
    You still going round with that poppy seed in your teeth bro. Get outta here.
    Lysol, Winner of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

  8. #8
    Community Member voxson5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkromaAoW View Post
    I lament that the Thelanis forums are so dead these days and have been for years. I miss the time when Ren, Womp and other Legion personalities where running rampant and sparring with me. Mr. Cow was providing guidance on all things DDO, Bunk and Shyv would be touting some latest achievement, and we had Silver Waffles. Members of Maelstrom, Giant Slayers, IFV, DWAT, Bane, Pestilence and others too numerous for me to name had voices here.

    Some of these folks are still around, and many have been gone for years. With a game that has been going for 13 years, I guess many have run out of things to say, or have long since lost interest in spirited forum dialogue. In any case, the forum voices are largely silent.

    What can I say? I miss all of your chatter.

    Best regards,

    E.
    The real golden age was dispel's super sayan sorc/monk and Memnir's broccoli posts

  9. #9
    Community Member AkromaAoW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Coast of US
    Posts
    640

    Cool You!

    Quote Originally Posted by weyoun View Post
    You still going round with that poppy seed in your teeth bro. Get outta here.
    It's just wrong that I'm sort of glad that YOU dropped by. Are you lost, or just visiting the ->Thelanis<- forums from whatever other server you now call home?

    E.
    Last edited by AkromaAoW; 04-12-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    ArtEriik: Leader of Tharashk's Dragon Snacks, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik, and other Eriik somethings
    Proud member of ARCHANGELS

  10. #10
    Community Member Bunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkromaAoW View Post
    It's just wrong that I'm sort of glad that YOU dropped by. Are you lost, or just visiting the ->Thelanis<- forums from whatever other server you now call home?

    E.
    Oh.....he is around Thelanis server. Trust me. He's there. The good, the bad, the bat dung crazy he is there.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    At Turbine HQ suggesting what to nerf next.
    Posts
    1,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    Oh.....he is around Thelanis server. Trust me. He's there. The good, the bad, the bat dung crazy he is there.
    I’m just picturing the patience he has acquired over the years
    Teth - Revenants

    Babysittin Francine so he dont die 24/7. I used to be good at this game.

  12. #12
    Community Member AkromaAoW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Coast of US
    Posts
    640

    Default Another!

    Quote Originally Posted by xTethx View Post
    I’m just picturing the patience he has acquired over the years
    And here is Teth! Well, well, this keeps getting better. It's a little known, or even unknown, fact that I gave Teth his first banishing rapier, or so he said at the time. It was during a run of the Coalescence Chamber waaaaaay back when he was a relative newbie. I can't recall what the name of that character was, though. It predated the Teth name.

    E.
    Last edited by AkromaAoW; 04-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    ArtEriik: Leader of Tharashk's Dragon Snacks, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik, and other Eriik somethings
    Proud member of ARCHANGELS

  13. #13
    Community Member weyoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Durm
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkromaAoW View Post
    It's just wrong that I'm sort of glad that YOU dropped by. Are you lost, or just visiting the ->Thelanis<- forums from whatever other server you now call home?

    E.
    We may have played together. Piking.
    Lysol, Winner of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I was once Scarsgaard...

    I was a troll... a jerk.. sometimes funny and totally full of myself...

    I grew up. Got married.

    And yeah.. Drak, Womp, Malice, Memnir and so many others were the bestemest.. but I'll be honest.. I like being silent nowadays.. it's calm. And I am still on FB.. I post there on the private channels.

    Xoetepia

  15. #15
    DDO Players Council Xyfiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,134

    Default

    Like the gimp of Hall of Fame in here.

    Scars I think I have over an hour of recorded video on my old cpu of us running an elite Monastery from around 2009. Poorly.

  16. #16
    Founder & Hero cdbd3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Escaping Mizzery in the Tavern Attic.
    Posts
    26,684

    Default

    Tis not just the forums that ave gone quiet over the years...


    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

  17. #17
    Community Member Bunker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Tis not just the forums that ave gone quiet over the years...


    By the looks of it, you never throw anything away.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

  18. #18
    Community Member AkromaAoW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Coast of US
    Posts
    640

    Default Scars!

    Quote Originally Posted by Xoetep View Post
    I was once Scarsgaard...

    I was a troll... a jerk.. sometimes funny and totally full of myself...

    I grew up. Got married.

    And yeah.. Drak, Womp, Malice, Memnir and so many others were the bestemest.. but I'll be honest.. I like being silent nowadays.. it's calm. And I am still on FB.. I post there on the private channels.

    Xoetepia
    It has been a long time. Have you been lurking in the shadows all this time, or did you leave and return? Does your wife DDO? The forum name is new...

    E.
    ArtEriik: Leader of Tharashk's Dragon Snacks, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik, and other Eriik somethings
    Proud member of ARCHANGELS

  19. #19
    Community Member AkromaAoW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Coast of US
    Posts
    640

    Default Nostalgic

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    Like the gimp of Hall of Fame in here.

    Scars I think I have over an hour of recorded video on my old cpu of us running an elite Monastery from around 2009. Poorly.
    Wouldn't it be great to get more of the "old folks" to chime in?
    ArtEriik: Leader of Tharashk's Dragon Snacks, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik, and other Eriik somethings
    Proud member of ARCHANGELS

  20. #20
    Grand Panjandrum Alisonique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spitting distance of Stonehenge
    Posts
    392

    Default

    How old do you have to be to count as "Old Folks"?
    TYRS PALADIUM.....Officer. If you think there must be more to the game than pugging, come on and joinTYRS! Willibold Fighter/Wilibold monk /Tooflower monkftr/rogue /Hesteban fvs /Machiavehli druid/ Commabayou bard /Greenbolts ranger/Dramoh arti /Dragbat bard /Covemonster Paladin/A Pherzackerly wizard/Asimovsbayne barb/Pardoner/Cottelettedporc cleric/ftr /

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload