Community Member

Default Q: Gauntlets of the arcane soldeir pls explain arcane aug

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Gauntl...Arcane_Soldier

I'm wearing these on my capped Pale master. All of the enhancements I have on it I also have on some other items, except the Arcane Augmentation, which I don't really understand what it does. I don't really have anything else to wear on my hands, but I wouldn't mind trading them out for something I could craft.
    Can someone explain to me what exactly arcane augmentation does? I have read the wiki, but I'm still a little unclear as to whether or not this is a worthwhile enhancement to have.
    On the one hand the wiki says it can be a very powerful effect to have, but it also seems like it is not good if I am capped and/or if spells have a max casting level.

Thanks for any advice.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post

I'm wearing these on my capped Pale master. All of the enhancements I have on it I also have on some other items, except the Arcane Augmentation, which I don't really understand what it does. I don't really have anything else to wear on my hands, but I wouldn't mind trading them out for something I could craft.
    Can someone explain to me what exactly arcane augmentation does? I have read the wiki, but I'm still a little unclear as to whether or not this is a worthwhile enhancement to have.
    On the one hand the wiki says it can be a very powerful effect to have, but it also seems like it is not good if I am capped and/or if spells have a max casting level.

Thanks for any advice.

All it does is raise your caster level by 2. That can be a benefit or it can be zero benefit. Look at the spells you use and see if they have a max caster level. Assuming your pale master is pure you have a natural caster level of 20. (30 if epic levels count, i don't think they do but don't remember for sure) So look at all your enhancements/ epic destinies/feats/gear etc to see if you have anything raising the max caster level of the spells you use so you can figure out if you are gaining any benefit and the value of that benefit.
    My phones auto correct/swype failed grammar school.

Thanks for any advice.
    they increase your caster level by 2. So if you are a level 20 wizard, instead of casting spells as a level 20 wizard, you cast them as a level 22 wizard. This will increase the damage on many spells, and will improve your spell penetration by 2

Thanks for any advice.
    The easiest way to understand it is... Do you know thesewlow level spells, like magic missiles, which give different bonus/missiles depending your caster level? You coul make a splash with less levels than needed (for example 5 wizard levels) and with the gloves you would get aother extra missile due to casting at 2 levels over
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    they increase your caster level by 2. So if you are a level 20 wizard, instead of casting spells as a level 20 wizard, you cast them as a level 22 wizard. This will increase the damage on many spells, and will improve your spell penetration by 2
    The vast majority of wizard damage spells are capped by MAX CASTER LEVEL. They tend to be 10, 15, or 20. Some spells like polar ray cap at 25. Your caster level is your wizard level + 5 (in an arcane destiny) + extras. Extra's are things that state that they increase your MAX CASTER LEVEL.

The item in question increases your CASTER LEVEL. Thus if your MAX CASTER LEVEL is smaller than your CASTER LEVEL, these item do nothing for damage spells. If your using these gloves to increase your spell damage take a good look at the spells in question to see if they will benefit from this item.

That said your spell penetration is controlled by your CASTER LEVEL so these gloves will give you a +2 bonus to spell penetration.

Others have pointed out the following

It adds +2 to your caster level

So as a 20 Wizard in a non-Arcane Sphere your caster level is 22, in the Arcane Sphere your caster level is 27

What does this do?
    1. It allows you to cast a damage spell at a higher caster level, up to its MAX caster level. If you are already at or exceeding the max then it does not increase this
    2. Because it is +2 Caster Level it also grants you +2 Spell Penetration
    3. There are also other spells that are based off Caster Level to determine effects, such as DC

a. Knock: DC is Caster Level + Ability Modifier
    b. Dismissal/Banishment: the DC formula includes your caster level

Community Member

Another minor benefit that might be worth mentioning:

The effect will provide a duration increase to certain buffs. My 18 wizard/2 rogue casts haste and some other spells as if he were a 20 wizard because of the gauntlets. Not as useful as the spell penetration boost, but another nice increase on top of it

It would be good to see more items with arcane augmentation in the game and perhaps some like that for divines as well. If they were available as rare augments that would be great - just not for the red slot please. Or maybe it could be available as an enhancement in the reworked caster trees.

Thanks.
    Last edited by blerkington; 02-19-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    Astrican on Khyber

This effect is from level 20 old epics, should be updated to +3 to reflect new level cap and all the power levels.

Also, too rare, and conflicts with beacon of magic set..

So basically the builds who benefit most, like Sorcs and Evoker builds are the least likely to fit this one it..

Gearing up is a nightmare for even the simplest pure builds these days. Can easily have 3 duplicate effects while missing out on stuff like con, dodge, prr and other vitals..

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    The vast majority of wizard damage spells are capped by MAX CASTER LEVEL. They tend to be 10, 15, or 20. Some spells like polar ray cap at 25. Your caster level is your wizard level + 5 (in an arcane destiny) + extras. Extra's are things that state that they increase your MAX CASTER LEVEL.

The item in question increases your CASTER LEVEL. Thus if your MAX CASTER LEVEL is smaller than your CASTER LEVEL, these item do nothing for damage spells. If your using these gloves to increase your spell damage take a good look at the spells in question to see if they will benefit from this item.

That said your spell penetration is controlled by your CASTER LEVEL so these gloves will give you a +2 bonus to spell penetration.
    the new meteor swarm, eledars electric surge, niacs biting cold, sunburst, incendiary cloud, necrotic ray, and burning blood make no mention of max caster level in their description.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post

Gearing up is a nightmare for even the simplest pure builds these days. Can easily have 3 duplicate effects while missing out on stuff like con, dodge, prr and other vitals..
    This. I think this is also why I am kind of bored with PM. Theres really no good set out there. Once I get all my bases covered, I', left with no open slots to do some custom stuff. Also, there is nothing with a reasonable CON for a capped PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    the new meteor swarm, eledars electric surge, niacs biting cold, sunburst, incendiary cloud, necrotic ray, and burning blood make no mention of max caster level in their description.
    Yep. I'm using Niacs, necrotic ray, and burning blood on this toon, and made the same observation.