Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    540

    Default Shadar Kai Spiked Chain

    I created a level 2 Shadar-Kai because a friend needed a leveling partner, and that while I don't always play with him, this means I have a character that'll be able to follow no matter how much he levels without me, at least until level 15 or higher.
    Of course, I have to scrounge equipment to make this work, but it has so far.

    Now, my question:
    I know it's a trap option, especially at the level Shadar-Kai normally start, but I've been using the ability on a newborn character at level 2 to much better effect, especially against undead, than anything else I could muster.
    I remembered the Vistani's Fan of Knives being affected both by Ranged and Spell power, and I was wondering if that was the case for the chain, and if trying to get myself an item to boost spell power would yield better results. Has anyone ever tested this?

  2. #2

    Default

    no, but you can and report back! It supposedly scales with melee power.

    The SDK tree was designed by a dev that liked stealth. The chain attacks actually do not break stealth although I suspect that if you get attacked while swinging it, you will be broken out of stealth. Gloom Stalker refers to attacks made while in stealth which leaves the chain attack (surprise!) and assassinate. It also should include bugged attacks that keep you in stealth like the EK cleave. The chain, since it keeps you in stealth, should work well with assassin MtF since you keep the stacks. That is the conception; in practice, the damage is too low and there are better options for AP, especially with vistani and falconry.

    The cores also allow for someone to remain invisible while attacking or doing a lever but champs often have true sight, greatly limiting their usefulness.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)


  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    I remembered the Vistani's Fan of Knives being affected both by Ranged and Spell power, and I was wondering if that was the case for the chain, and if trying to get myself an item to boost spell power would yield better results. Has anyone ever tested this?
    If your question is whether Spiked Chain Attack (SCA) benefits from spell power, or multiple sources of power, then the answer, AFAIK, is no. According to ddowiki, SCA scales with melee power only, but at 200%. I've not tried playing a SdK where I tried to combine SCA and maxed out melee power, so I can't testify to the effectiveness of that approach.

    I should point out that the consensus was that SCA is very effective at heroic levels, but drops off dramatically in Epic, and especially Reaper, content. That has been my experience as well.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesBastardSon View Post
    If your question is whether Spiked Chain Attack (SCA) benefits from spell power, or multiple sources of power, then the answer, AFAIK, is no. According to ddowiki, SCA scales with melee power only, but at 200%. I've not tried playing a SdK where I tried to combine SCA and maxed out melee power, so I can't testify to the effectiveness of that approach.
    This is basically my point. The Wiki uses the exact same wording on scaling with Fan of Knives as it does for SCA, yet multiple tests have shown Fan to work off Force Spell Power.
    Which is what led to this question, and whether somebody tried it.

  5. #5
    Community Member NemesisAlien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Look up, way up, in space.
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Wish they shorten the cool down... Takes too damn long...

  6. #6
    Community Member Jetrule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    966

    Default

    The Shadar kai chain is very useful even over powered if you dont level to 15 on character creation. There was a player hosted challenge a few years ago where players played first life characters on tough quests at the earliest level you could enter it. I did some solo with a Shadar Kai Rogue2 rest of levels as cleric I only posted for team duo completions with a friend but it was very satisfying using a spike and blade embedded whip on the badguys, and a great way to break dr concealment and ethereal for early levels.
    Last edited by Jetrule; 02-22-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    Percivaul Dusol, BadRandall and Shortpact--The Silver Legion

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    This is basically my point. The Wiki uses the exact same wording on scaling with Fan of Knives as it does for SCA, yet multiple tests have shown Fan to work off Force Spell Power.
    Which is what led to this question, and whether somebody tried it.
    I see what you're asking now. I would be surprised, but it would be cool if it did. Hmm, now I want to roll up a test SdK and see if it works that way.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetrule View Post
    The Shadar kai chain is very useful even over powered if you dont level to 15 on character creation. There was a player hosted challenge a few years ago where players played first life characters on tough quests at the earliest level you could enter it. I did some solo with a Shadar Kai Rogue2 rest of levels as cleric I only posted for team duo completions with a friend but it was very satisfying using a spike and blade embedded whip on the badguys, and a great way to break dr concealment and ethereal for early levels.
    Even at 15 the chain is excellent. I did something similar on another server, rolling up a Cleric/Rogue, but with the goal of a C12/R8 split, allowing me to combine SCA with Blade Barrier and more Sneak Attack damage. The results were ok, but I think your approach is probably better.
    "I didn't change my mind, It changed all by itself" – Luna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload