2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Default Trapmaking Traps not working.

I recently turned my Rogue from a Thief-Acrobat to an Assassin. I've been trying my hand at Trapmaking to better support parties I join, and also because I've used Web traps in previous lives and enjoy it a lot. However, I recently tried making several different types of magical traps and some don't seem broken.

• Web Traps: Work as intended. Casts the Web spell when triggered.
    • Halt Undead: Work as indended. Casts Halt Undead when triggered.
    • Hold Person: Broken. Trap is triggered but no spell is cast.
    • Deep Slumber: Broken. Trap is triggered but no spell is cast.

I tested the Halt Undead traps on some zombies in the Orchard of the Macabre. I tested the Hold Person and Deep Slumber traps on the human cultists in the beginning of Lords of Dust on Heroic Normal with a DC of 60+. I will try some of the other traps this afternoon when I get the chance. I'm particularly curious about Otto's Resistible Dance, Sleep, and Cause Fear/Scare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

It's worth mentioning as well that trap placement was a little wonky the other day for me as well. In Finding the Path, I placed some Web Traps under the Orb of Will. The first one or two were placed normally where I placed them, but subsequent traps ended up appearing along the edge of the platform even though they should've been at my feet.
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Bump. Any other Rogues have issues with this?
    Wise fwom ur gwave.

Traveler of the Skies Frogger1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    Bump. Any other Rogues have issues with this?
    It's been a little while since I made traps, but as I remember:
    - trap placement isn't always as precise as you'd like, sometimes annoyingly so. especially if you try to stack them in a small area.
    - traps sometimes misfire or don't go off when set on ramps or on piles of rubble. They work best on fairly flat surfaces.
    - single-target magic traps almost always seem to miss, at least for me. It seems like the mob is past the trap and out of the area of effect when the trap actually fires.
    - I found Hypnotism, Glitterdust, Hypnotic Pattern (if you can stand the visual effect), Web and Halt Undead to be the most reliable magic traps.
    - I never carried Cause Fear, Sleep, Blindness, Daze Monster, Otto's Resistible Dance, Scare, Touch of Idiocy, Deep Slumber, Dispel Magic, or Hold Person. They either didn't seem to work very well or didn't seem to be worth the bother when I had the other traps mentioned.
    - I don't think I ever experimented with Grease or Slow traps, so I can't comment on how effective they are.

2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger1234 View Post
    It's been a little while since I made traps, but as I remember:
    - trap placement isn't always as precise as you'd like, sometimes annoyingly so. especially if you try to stack them in a small area.
    - traps sometimes misfire or don't go off when set on ramps or on piles of rubble. They work best on fairly flat surfaces.
    - single-target magic traps almost always seem to miss, at least for me. It seems like the mob is past the trap and out of the area of effect when the trap actually fires.
    - I found Hypnotism, Glitterdust, Hypnotic Pattern (if you can stand the visual effect), Web and Halt Undead to be the most reliable magic traps.
    - I never carried Cause Fear, Sleep, Blindness, Daze Monster, Otto's Resistible Dance, Scare, Touch of Idiocy, Deep Slumber, Dispel Magic, or Hold Person. They either didn't seem to work very well or didn't seem to be worth the bother when I had the other traps mentioned.
    - I don't think I ever experimented with Grease or Slow traps, so I can't comment on how effective they are.
    I don't know why I thought this, but I had assumed that the Hold Person would've been a mass effect on several humanoids in the area of the trap when it's triggered. I'm probably wrong about that, but I still feel like Deep Slumber should've worked in the way that I was using it because it is an AOE spell. I'm curious how the Slow traps are. Grease could work pretty well if the grease DC is the Disable Device skill of the Rogue (with Improved Traps) although party members may not agree.
    Wise fwom ur gwave.