Community Member

Question Understanding the game

Hello all,

I've recently started playing DDO and so far enjoying it, so much so that I've joined as a VIP but I have a number of questions.
    But first some things about me which may influence the answers I receive.

I've had a play with a couple of classes but I'm not sure where to go with them.

I'm largely a solo player until I understand the game fully, I don't like to hold people back in dungeons etc so I like to have a firm grasp of all the mechanics first.
    I've played loads of Final Fantasy 14 and to date remains my favourite MMO, I enjoyed tanking, black mage (pure dps) and summoner (dots). I've not really played WoW much as I didn't feel like there was a main story-line which made me wonder what the point was

On to the questions....

1. I'm looking for a good beginning class, I have googled this question but I've had many conflicting answers so here I am. I don't care whether it's a tank or dps, or even healer if need-be! just something that I can play easily whilst figuring out the rest of the game.
    2. Is it true that soloing is near impossible if you aren't a rogue? (I don't really want to be a rogue if possible)
    3. I'm thinking of buying astral shards with my DDO points so I can hire a gold rogue hireling will that solve the above problem?
    4. If I hire a gold hireling can I hire a platinum one as well?
    5. Is there crafting in this game? How detailed is it?
    6. When I decide to join a guild, how do I go about this? Where/How do I apply?
    7. How good is the main story-line?
    8. Is there anything I should be aware of? Anything you wish you'd known before you started? (without spoilers)

Additional: What is this 1st life business? I keep seeing 1st life and 2nd life?

Thanks everyone for your feedback! ????

Premier2k

1. Everyone will say something different here. I would say a Cleric or FvS. They have the option to go Warpriest/Warsoul and play similarly to a Paladin while also having the option to go the nuke route or party healer route. Though really anything that has self healing (ie Druid, Warforged Wizard/Sorcerer/Artificer) can work.
    2. Not even close. I can't think of a single quest where a rogue is required. And if there are and I can't remember them, you can easily skip them. Most of the time I solo and I haven't been a trapper in ages.
    3. Don't. That's a waste of both ddo points and astral shards. Hirelings are garbage, and there are times where the trap box is inside or on the other side of the trapped area, so you would have to run through the trap anyways to get your hireling to find it. Ignore rogue hirelings and instead learn trap mechanics and timings so you can run through them. For the always on traps that you can't time or jump over, invest in hp and self-healing.
    4. Yes
    5. Yes. There are, like, 11 different crafting systems. Cannith Crafting is the main one, letting you create generic gear of any level. More specialized crafting systems like Greensteel and Thunderforged only have a few handfuls of effects and are locked to certain levels. Most of them are grinds but the items are typically worth it.
    6. Depends on the guild. Some will randomly invite anyone standing around in the harbor. Others will ask if you want to join if you run quests with them enough.
    7. There isn't what I would call a "main" story line. Pre-MotU quests' stories are good (ie. many of the lower level quests). However it's a big web of interconnected (and occasionally out of order) quests, which means you probably won't 'get' it your first time through.
    8. Something I see people do far too often is accept resurrection inside the trap that killed them. Or on the wrong side of the trap. Ghosts can't die more than they are already, run through the trap and THEN raise.
    Use Magic Device is a great skill regardless of your class.
    Always keep a handful of remove curse potions, remove disease potions, remove blindness potions.
    Talk to a spirit binder in a tavern in a convenient location so if you die and need to release, you won't have to run across 3 zones to go anywhere. https://ddowiki.com/

9. First life means a new character. Once you get to level 20+ you can True Reincarnate: return to level 1, but gain a past life feat which gives you a permanent benefit. First life characters have 28 or 32 points to distribute between STR, DEX, CON, WIS, INT, and CHA. Second life characters have 34 points. Third life+ characters have 36. However Second and Third life characters require more exp to level up than First life characters do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpai View Post
    Lots of awesome advice
    That my friend, was exactly what I needed
    Thank you for taking your time to help me out.

Premier2k

8. Is there anything I should be aware of?

In most RPGs there are party roles, the healer heals, the fighter is the guy with the 2 handed sword, the paladin is the guy with the long sword and shield, the ranger has a bow, etc

In this game those roles are much more loosely defined. You can make a dps fighter, or a tank fighter, or a paladin with a cross bow, or a dps cleric. It just depends on how you build your character.

also, any locked door you come across( with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 quests) can either be opened by lighting a rune, killing a monster, or finding a key somewhere in the dungeon. If none of these are true, then it is an optional door.

In other words, you don't NEED a rogue to finish the quest.

A few additional points to consider -

If you're going to be mostly playing solo, try a variety of difficulty settings until you find your comfort level. Most of the advice on these forums assumes that people will be playing Reaper, but there's no real advantage to doing that if elite (or even hard) is sufficiently challenging for you. So when people say you need a trapper, they're probably thinking of elite/reaper traps that will kill you. On Normal, and even hard, this is much less of an issue. Sure, it's nice to get all the bonuses (like ingenious debilitation, for disarming all traps) and do all the optionals (some of which are behind secret or locked doors), but certainly not necessary if the rogue playstyle doesn't suit you.

As for what kind of character to play - once you've found a difficulty setting that suits you, really any class/race can work well. I'd suggest trying out a variety of classes on servers other than the one you intend to play on regularly - that way you get a feel for which you enjoy and which you don't, and pick up a few extra DDO points along the way as well (for first-time-per-server favor rewards)

Also, many people will recommend the Use Magic Device skill, and they have a point, it is really useful. But it takes a whole lot of investment to get to the useful level, due to very high DCs (difficulty class - the die roll needed for success, in this case), making it less useful for some characters than others (especially first life/no tomes). I'd say if you're a class that has it as a class skill, definitely take it; if you're a class with a lot of skill points and nothing urgent to spend them on (especially if you have a high charisma, as that's the stat UMD uses), probably take it. If you're a class with very few skill points, not charisma based, and can use raise dead scrolls without UMD (most clerics, many favored souls, and some paladins, for example), maybe don't worry about it so much. In any case, if you do take it, keep it maxed, and carry a +charisma item and +UMD item to boost the skill when you really need it.
    Last edited by Arianrhod; 02-09-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Here's my advise
    Get VIP, you did this good deal.
    Save up get +6 tomes, or +8. Get supreme.
    They are best power creep price ratio in game. Also allow better building

Then, run reaper
    Reaper is best do, and best power creep in game
    Also, run r1 lfm. Join r1 lfm
    Don't worry, the vets will carry you. Just keep up with the group.
    I wouldn't solo, not where the game is at.
    Personally, I get my enjoyment from watching others play.

Join a guild.
    Best marker is to run with some of them.
    Vets will help you. Give you advice you need.
    I always tell noobs to play a cleric,
    It teaches you how to heal, and how to follow
    Also, clerics are loved. Everyone loves having a cleric in the group

Then, tr. true reincarnation
    This is level to 20, then reroll
    You do that twice, get a 36 pt build

So, 36 pt build, +6 tomes, and running reaper
    You will be set
    Then you can start experimenting with builds
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Community Member

First of all, welcome to ddo

Other than the sound advice above, I'd merely like to suggest a little less holding back in terms of party play. While I commend your wish to get a full firm grasp before engaging in party play, so as not to hold others back, I found that it was really through party play that the game reveals itself, wholly (this may be stating the obvious, but this is no less so with ddo). Indeed, party play was and is my main motivation for playing and staying in this game. It is here that you will find your role(s), and to this extent also your strength and weaknesses, which is really what you need to learn, in order to get better and know which parties (i.e. which difficulties to play) to join. Thus it is hard to learn one without the other - and both will naturally change with your own experience, past lives, and classes. (Don't get me wrong, indeed solo play can and will certainly also teach you about strength and weaknesses of your playstyle, class/build etc., but I find this is more the case once a more firm grasp and experience of the game has been obtained.)

Ddo has, socially, the whole spectrum of players - from the elitists to the open minded players, where it is often the latter that dont mind taking some time out (or hold back, as it were) and ease new players into the game (which, on a side note, some server populations needs!). When I began, I was very open with the fact that I was a new player when joining groups - especially if I was venturing into difficulties above my normal comfort level or new quests - and I found that this gesture was often returned with the players in the group (or some at least ) not minding taking time out to ease me into it and learn me some of the ropes - be it with simple or advanced strategic advice for certain monsters, quests and mechanics. In other words, dont go solo'ing too much, would be my advice, because party play WILL make you better at this game. Here a guild can play a crucial role too!

Good luck, and have fun!!
    Last edited by Eventus; 02-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Premier2k View Post
    On to the questions....

1. I'm looking for a good beginning class,

-- Easiest would be anything that swings a weapon; Fighter, Barbarian, Cleric or Paladin. Not much thinking required; move in close and keep hitting the mouse button to attack. Hint: You do NOT need to target an NPC (unless your using a bow). Move in and start swinging, anything in front of you will get hurt.

2. Is it true that soloing is near impossible if you aren't a rogue? (I don't really want to be a rogue if possible)

-- No it's not. I'm playing a Barbarian solo. Now I did take some Rogue skills when I got to lvl 8 or so (officially I'm multi-classed as a lvl 11 Barb / lvl 4 Rogue now). Why? I like finding Secret Doors, opening optional doors to get at chests and finding traps BEFORE I spring them.

-- A note on Rouge's: Don't think of them as straight Thief type class. Using my advice down below; I have a 2 weapon thief on Korthos Island I play with some. Granted he's weaker on hitpoints than a fighter would be, but fun too.

3. I'm thinking of buying astral shards with my DDO points so I can hire a gold rogue hireling will that solve the above problem?

-- I wouldn't. On the whole it seems hirelings aren't all that they should be. I know of only 1 (but I think there's a couple more) quest that you NEED another body to do, and that's a lvl 10 one. One the whole if you just play right you can solo stuff, if not on level than when you get a couple levels above.

-- You can always hire as many as you want. Thing is only 1 can be out at a time. Also if you do go the hireling route (as I did for that 1 quest that needed another body), after you use them and get out of the dungeon, go put him in your bank vault, otherwise the timer keeps running. Putting him in the vault will freeze his timer until you need him for a dungeon that requires another body.

-- Yes, not sure as I've never done any.

-- Best bet is to use the server sub-forums here and look under the guild sections to see if there's one's you like. There should be contact info in the posts. Hint: DON'T except Ninja invites while you play. My thought is if they can't be bothered to actually TALK to you first, than it's not a guild worth joining.

-- There's a long post somewhere here on the forums that tie's all the quests together and lays out an overall story line. I found it a bit confusing and gave up, but supposedly there is a story line. Now the one on Korthos Island is very clear cut and pretty good. Once you get to the mainland it's better to think of all the dungeons as stand alone's. There are some that are chained together; The Catacombs, The Seal of Shan-To-Kor, Tangleroot Gorge and Delera's Tomb come to mind and those make sense and are good.

8. Is there anything I should be aware of? Anything you wish you'd known before you started? (without spoilers)

-- DON'T hurry, take your time and do the optional's. If you do group to do a dungeon; tell them at the start you want to take it slow and see all the sights. Alot of players are on their next life, Alt's etc..., know the dungeons, don't care about the optional's and just want to speed through. If you don't want that tell them.

-- While as VIP you can jump into a dungeon on the Elite setting, I'd recommend against it. Do them at Normal, than Hard and then at Elite. Not only will you get more XP that way, but loot also and you'll learn the dungeon. Do a bunch at Normal and then go back and do them all at Hard, repeat for Elite. Don't do the same one 3 times in a row as that get's boring.

-- Go into your options and turn off 'Accept Sparring Requests' and maybe 'Guild Invites'. The guild invites will take care of those Ninja Invites and unless you want to do Pvp, the sparring one will stop those few that run around spamming those.

Additional: What is this 1st life business? I keep seeing 1st life and 2nd life?

-- The max level is only 30. If you haven't hit that yet you're on your 1st Life. When you get between lvl 20 and 30 you can reincarnate and start over at lvl 1 again as a different class, building upon what you used to be. In effect you just keep getting stronger and stronger.
    First off, Welcome to the game. Best piece of advice ever given: Don't sweat your first characters. They're learning 'toon's and you won't end up keeping them. Actually what you should do is create a different class of character on each server (they can all be named the same thing), not only will you get to check the pop of that server during your normal play time, but you'll get to try out the different classes.

If you want to do dungeons with others, go ahead and go to the Social panel and create your own LFG post. List in it you want to do slow and optionals, RP whatever so they'll know before signing up.
    Last edited by Nebless; 02-09-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Aias Iceforge. Barbarian Ice Dwarf - Khyber

Welcome to the game!

(I'm going to answer some of your questions out of order, just cuz my answers will make more sense that way...)

I'm largely a solo player until I understand the game fully, I don't like to hold people back in dungeons etc so I like to have a firm grasp of all the mechanics first.
    There are some who would feel "held back", but also some who would enjoy helping a new player. Tell people "I'm new", and few will have a problem either helping you, or towing you.

First, no. It helps, but it isn't necessary. You can jump/time many traps*, and/or just run through and then heal up (if not on Elite - which tends to be a killer). Grabbing a hireling Cleric/Favored Soul who can heal you helps.

(* You can "cheat" and find the traps on the DDOWiki before you go into a quest. Ymmv.)

Second, in DDO, you can be a "trapper" and not be a pure Rogue. Depending on the build, 1 level of Rogue (or Artificer, for that matter!) will get you access to all the skills you need. Rangers, Bards, even Wizards can all be great "trappers" with only 1 level of Rogue.

I've had a play with a couple of classes but I'm not sure where to go with them.
    1. I'm looking for a good beginning class, I have googled this question but I've had many conflicting answers so here I am. I don't care whether it's a tank or dps, or even healer if need-be! just something that I can play easily whilst figuring out the rest of the game.
    Probably THE question new players ask - and there is no single answer. Too much depends on your play style, on your personality, on what you find "fun".

But, everything equal, and without knowing/guessing much about you, I'd recommend one of these:

Very similar, and flexible, with some "buffing" spells and some combat (one melee, one ranged). They can both trap, so that's taken care of. And Ranger comes w/ many free feats, so the 2-weapon can use a bow okay, and the bow-user can use 2-weapons okay. Not to rely on in a big fight, but just to beat up on the occasional lone guard, if you want to experiment a little.

But any of these can work, esp if they are labeled "solo" and "new-player friendly": https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5759353

Yes, but unnecessary (see above). Also, if you have money to throw at the game, there may be better things to aim for (e.g. Expansion packs). But for now, save your money/shards, and get a feel for the game, so you can answer these things yourself.

You can only have 1 platinum-bought hireling in use at a time, but you can have as many Gold-Seal hirelings as you want (up to party max size 6).

Yes, it's a bit grindy, but you can custom make most anything. The best high-level gear is still "named", but the ability to fill in with crafting to suit your needs/preferences is huge.

You can do that on these forums (there are subforums for each of the 8 servers, plus a general one for "guilds"), and/or by finding one in-game. Keep your eye out for something that looks good. And remember - you're not just applying to them, they're also auditioning for you! If you don't like them, find another!

I don't follow the main story line, except by accident. It's good, but there are many good detours and tangents as well.

If you've played table-top D&D, don't expect to directly translate that experience to character building. Think of this as a new edition of D&D, one you've never played before. Follow some builds on the forums before trusting to your own creativity - it's VERY easy to design a character that starts strong but fails by level 8 or so - VERY easy.

For your first character, you will only have 28 build points (or 32 for a non-basic account). These are the points you use for the basic 6 stats - Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma.

When you reach Level 20 you can reincarnate and start over at Level 1. The benefits are that you then have 34 build points, plus a small benefit that is an "echo" of your previous life. If you do that again, you'll then have 36 build points (the max) for your 3rd life and another echo. You'll never have more than 36 build points 9so "3rd life" is the highest for build points), but these "echoes" all add up.

At Level 20, you can also go on to Level 30, and get different (and better?) past life benefits, plus there are other options - but basically that's what that's about, reincarnating so your future lives will be stronger.

"3rd life" also implies that you, as a player, have played the game to Level 20 at least twice, and so you know you're way around the block.

Any more questions, just ask - we'll be here.

Community Member

Welcome to the game.

You might consider playing an Artificer. They can disable traps and find doors like rogues, but they don't play like a typical "sneaking around" roguish character. They can be made into tanks and have self healing. They have a pet to help pull levers for when you are soloing. And they can easily be set up as melee, ranged, or magic nuker, whichever fits your preference.

Basically they are a pretty versatile character depending on how you build and gear them. I will say with so many options, they are a little more complex than a barbarian, paladin or fighter are to play, but once you get things figured out, this class might check off all the boxes on your checklist.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard

Very good advice from others, even if some of it seems conflicting.

There are several players and guilds that will help new players. If you take your new character to Korthos on the right server (can't remember which one), there is usually a player in the village to help. That being said, there are also those that will not except you in their group if you are new. Do not get discouraged.

I disagree with the person that said to jump in to reaper. That level is for the better geared and multi-life crowd. Yes, you may be able to run with a group and survive, but some groups will expect you to have the best gear, best stats if you join their reaper group. Best to stay away.

Finding your answers on the forum is good, but many do not use the forum. You can get the answers in game faster and as they come in during game play if you are running with other people. I and others often run quests with new players to help them learn the game. PM me with what server and day/time you are on and we can run together.

Hirelings can be helpful or a hindrance. Some of them have good AI, some very bad. Learning how to use one while learning how to use your new character takes your attention away from your main task. It is better to play with others than trying to use a hireling.

Spend your DDO points on adventure packs or save them for sales on expansions, storage, etc.

Welcome !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrowsworD View Post
    Very good advice from others, even if some of it seems conflicting.
    Wha??? Never! The internet is based on consensus and compromise, always finding a middle ground that holds The Absolute Truth!

I disagree with the person that said to jump in to reaper... Best to stay away.
    Hrmmm... best to treat it with caution, let's agree on that.

There are some first-life builds that can handle Reaper, but the dangers for any quest on that difficulty are different from and in addition to Elite. If you are smart and cautious, even as first life you can "tag along" R1 even without a build like this one...

Hirelings can be helpful or a hindrance... It is better to play with others than trying to use a hireling.
    Hirelings can sometimes(?) be suicidal, uncooperative idiots, and so the ultimate in frustration, true, but if used correctly* they are a godsend, and are a real safety net for any character who cannot crush content. And if you do solo, and you understand how to use them, "better" is def a "ymmv" thing.

* For example - Healer hires, unless they are over-level for the quest, will often not survive in combat. So, park them where they are safe (at the entry, at a shrine, in an empty(!) hall, etc.), and call them to heal you between your combats - then park them again and repeat. If you insist on dragging them along, put them on "passive", so they will not go looking for a fight. If you expect to die, switch them to "Active" (when they ~tend~ to heal you on their own) and call them to your side - and hope for the best. Or, better(?), wait until you die and the bad guys wander away - then call your hire (on Passive), have them grab your stone and run to a shrine - and you're good to go again. Similar with crossing unsurvivable traps.

Spend your DDO points on adventure packs or save them for sales on expansions, storage, etc.
    Agreed, 110%! Sales can easily save you anywhere from 20-35%, and sometimes 50% or as much as 75%! Unless you have money to throw at the game (which does, admittedly, solve many problems), wait for things to go On Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post

Hrmmm... best to treat it with caution, let's agree on that.

There are some first-life builds that can handle Reaper, but the dangers for any quest on that difficulty are different from and in addition to Elite. If you are smart and cautious, even as first life you can "tag along" R1
    While this is true, different people want different experiences in the game. For those who want to build their way to "endgame" as fast as possible, getting carried through Reaper groups might be the best strategy. For others, who want to experience the game as fully contributing members of any group they might happen to be in (and would rather solo Normal than be dragged through Reaper), other approaches may be called for.

1. A good beginning class is hard to define. Personally, I believe Paladin is an excellent beginning class. It has great, well rounded defenses in all important areas for a starting out character, can wade into melee and dish out a punishment; while also casting a handful of spells which range from mildly useful short term buffs to incredibly powerful long term self buffs. They can self heal, and they can be immune to some of the nastier debuffs the game can throw at you.

I can also see arguments that rogue, barbarian, cleric, bard or warlock can make great starting classes for this game (among others).

Rogues can disarm traps. Traps in higher difficulties can be non-trivial. Traps can also be avoided or timed (most of the time); and with powercreep and attention to defenses, traps can be tanked, even on higher difficulties.

Rogues can also detect secret doors. There are no secret doors that I can think of that are required to be found to complete a quest. Sometimes there are optional objectives or extra loot behind secret doors.

Rogues can pick locks. The vast majority of locked doors have alternative ways to bypass them; ranging from finding a key to blowing them in with a fireball or high strength. There are a couple doors where picking locks is the only option, but I think that these only exist within raids.

It's worthy to note that Artificers can do all of the above just as well as rogues can.

Hirelings can't be summoned in raids, but the raid I'm thinking of requires you to have 5 people in your party to finish it anyways. And like all other quests/raids in the game, you can skip it if you don't want to do it. There's easily enough XP in the game to reach level 20 without repeating any content, if you have all content available to you. (F2P accounts will run into issues and have to repeat content at some level).

From what little I've seen of rogue hirelings; they're usually good enough to disarm traps, unlock doors/chests and find secret doors in quests that they're an appropriate level for. Personally I've never used one or felt the need to have one. There are better things to spend your ddo points on.

Yes. You're limited to 1 plat hireling; but can have any number of gold hirelings.

There are a ton of different crafting systems; most of them tied to the loot in a "quest pack", which means they're often very level specific. The exception is Cannith Crafting; which lets you make a large variety of items that can fit into any item slot at any character level, and can be useful for any class. Due to how leveling cannith crafting works; I would suggest you don't worry about it until you're character level 20 and can level up your crafting "quickly", unless you're really keen on getting into crafting asap.

I find that a lot of the time if you're unguilded you'll get a bunch of guild invites, even if you're just standing around afk and not doing much. If you want to pursue a particular guild to get into; try looking up any of their online members and asking if there's an officer online that you can talk to. (Officers are the ones who recruit new members).

DDO is a game of many story lines; most of them contained within a 3 to 12 "pack" of quests. Many of these story lines are interlinked and may lead up to various raids or expansions that the game has to offer.

If you're looking at being F2P or premium; you'll want to spend most of your first DDO points on quest packs; allowing you to run quests that normal F2P accounts can't. These can be used to get specific pieces of useful loot (Such as the voice of the master) or bridge gaps in leveling up which are sparsely populated by f2p quests (levels 14-20 mostly).

There is a huge powergap between those who have top tier builds, best in slot gear, incredible quest and game mechanic knowledge, pastlives and reaper points; and those who don't (yet) have those things. Fortunately a good player can bridge a lot of this gap fairly quickly, (Go for learning quest/game mechanics, acquiring gear and building properly as your first goals to bridge that gap, if you so wish); but that last stretch can be a large grind. Also; those top-tier players have plenty of reason to be running low level quests.

This can mean that there are players at low levels who are kind, and willing to help out new players learn the game, get better gear, give out plat, and/or just make fast XP grouping options. Many of these people don't mind (or even enjoy) having a newer player in their group, regardless of their contribution to the quest. This can also mean that it's easy to feel overshadowed in a group; if you join a group as a newer player and see someone accomplish a quest that was designed for a full 6 person group on a difficulty you can't survive a fight with a single enemy; faster then you can keep up with them. Don't worry; we all started there, and most people are quite nice. If you make friends and an effort to learn the game/improve your play, you'll get to that point sooner then you might think. And if you don't want to do this... there's actually a lot of people out there who keep on playing lower difficulties at a slower pace for years because they find it fun.
    Selvera: Dwarf Barbarian 13; Dwarf pastlives are going to take me a long time.
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 16; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Drow Fvs 15/ Monk 5/Epic 10; Ninja Healer

There will be many opinions on what is the "best" starting class. My answer is it depends on your own personal preferences. But I will put out that starting as a Paladin will be rough as that is a class that is what is referred to as M.A.D. (Multiple Attribute Dependent).

Of the classes out there the Cleric and Favored Soul have the flexibility of being either Physical damage (melee/ranged), Nuke style caster or DC style caster. The recent updates open up several options for building which only adds to their flexibility. I mention this as you discover the style you like or dislike, the Cleric and FvS are classes that can allow you to change their style.

Interesting point about DDO is that it has not put itself in a place where any "Class/Build" is required. That being said, there are places where a build that can disable traps can make the quest easier, but you can say that about a lot of features such as some quests are easier with Crowd Control etc.

Now there are some quests that have optional areas where finding secret doors can open up paths or lead to loot. There is only one quest that I can think of that has a secret door that has to be opened to complete the Quest, but if you can't find it, triggering and completing the optional in that area will open it. You just have to fight a giant skeleton.

Don't do this. While you quest every 100 favor earns you 25 DDO points, buying stuff in the store will mean if you stop being VIP you will not be downgraded to F2P but gain Premium status. I would recommend only getting a Gold Seal Hire such as the Rogue if after attempting the quest you discover that this type of hire would allow you to complete. Keep in mind that at tougher difficulties you may need to "buff" your rogue.

Yes, you can summon one hireling bought with platinum, but you can summon as many gold seal hirelings as your party can hold.

There are many crafting systems in the game. Check out https://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting it is a jump off point for each system.

Every Guild is different, some have more formalized recruiting systems then others. My recommendation is to keep track of the different people you run with and their guilds, don't be afraid to ask about the guild. Then with more knowledge when you find a guild that you feel you would be a good fit with ask a member about joining.

I wouldn't call it a main story-line, more there is connecting threads between all the stories and houses. I've enjoyed the NPC dialogs which I think people have a tendency to skip. But some of these dialogs can actually give you information about the quest or series you are currently running.

Don't be afraid to join a party even if you don't know all the mechanics. Let the party leader know you are new. If they are like me, they will make sure you get as much enjoyment out of the adventure and even give you tips to help you along the way.

DDO has implemented Reincarnation Systems. The 1st life, 2nd life and 3rd plus life is known as the Heroic Reincarnation System. Basically starting at level 20 you can choose to "start over", this gives you some benefits based on the current primary class or if you want race of your character. You start back at level 1, keeping all your equipment. This resets your favor but that allows you to re-earn it. You will have more options available to you in these next lives. Check out https://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation for more details.

Traveler of the Skies Frogger1234's Avatar

You don't have to know or follow the main story line. Or, more accurately, a series of sometimes inter-related and sometimes not lines of quests. There is a 324 page PDF put together by some players a few years ago if you are interested.

One important thing about building your character. DO NOT use any of the pre-made builds in the character creation pages. These were poorly made at the beginning and have not been updated since they were added.

Create your character from the start, read the notes given and the descriptions of everything from stats to feats. This gives you an idea of the depth you can go in creating a character, and familiarizes you with the terminology of the game. Not everything will make since at first, but it will all come in time.

And, as someone else posted, don't sweat the first characters you make. You may play them for sometime, but many may be abandoned as you want to try other classes or builds.

See you in game.

Arrow

Hello all,

I've recently started playing DDO and so far enjoying it, so much so that I've joined as a VIP but I have a number of questions.
    But first some things about me which may influence the answers I receive.

I've played loads of Final Fantasy 14 and to date remains my favourite MMO, I enjoyed tanking, black mage (pure dps) and summoner (dots). I've not really played WoW much as I didn't feel like there was a main story-line which made me wonder what the point was

On to the questions....

Thanks everyone for your feedback! ????

Premier2k
    *1 > I'd recommend just a swinging fighter or barbarian as those kill things the most. Spellcasters are usually harder to understand or learn because you have to click spells on your hotbar and do less a second than a melee. Learn towards a human barbarian, those are easy to understand with some hotbars for knowledge. SSG isn't new player friendly so we're here to help you.
    *2 > Rogues are not needed, but there for a trap bonus for more experience, traps are not deadly until higher difficulty dungeons.
    *3 > Not worth it, don't try it - trust me.
    *4 > Only one of these can be purchased, and used at a time - but gold seals can have as many as your party can fill.
    *5 > There are various crafting possibilites from Cannith Crafting to greensteel crafting, to slave lords crafting or ToEE crafting, ETC. These can be found in the pack lines except for Cannith Crafting. You get essences in quests and turn them in for shards and craft certain item(s). I'd recommend using a planner for any of these.
    *6 > Mostly any guilds will accept you that aren't endgame. Endgame guilds you want to stay away from as far as possible until you are ready. Those guilds like doing super high difficulty (reaper 10) and until you are ready to handle that kind of challenge, you should not join those guilds.
    *7 > There really is no main storyline. You go from Korthos (starter) to Harbor (meh) to Marketplace (okay) to the various houses and eveningstar. You can travel inbetween these but afaik there is no current storyline, sorry.
    *8 > Not a spoiler, I hate those. I'd recommend saving up your points for when you stop being VIP and getting packs the quickest as possible, after the second reincarnation, elite is unlocked and having VIP is not necessary unless you want a 10% bonus. (to be fair it should be upgraded to 15%)

Additional: It is how many times a player has started a new life via a reincarnation system implemented by Turbine. You can use this to get more abilities or bonuses unlocked for your character. This is recommended when you are no longer interested in the life (have to be 20+) or out of favor to unlock.

If you are on Argonnessen, please hit me up.
    Orien, got some characters on there, not much anymore.

If you are on the default server Cannith, wouldn't recommend asking anyone in GODS or what was it... ASCENDANCE? Those are some mean ol' people. (just kidding, they are just the high endgame guild(s) of Cannith.
    Last edited by kelavas; 02-13-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    "A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."
    Never underestimate the power of wizards and their dc's. Achieved 101 sustained, 116 situational.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    Here's my advise
    Get VIP, you did this good deal.
    Save up get +6 tomes, or +8. Get supreme.
    They are best power creep price ratio in game. Also allow better building

Then, run reaper
    Reaper is best do, and best power creep in game
    Also, run r1 lfm. Join r1 lfm
    Don't worry, the vets will carry you. Just keep up with the group.
    I wouldn't solo, not where the game is at.
    Personally, I get my enjoyment from watching others play.

Join a guild.
    Best marker is to run with some of them.
    Vets will help you. Give you advice you need.
    I always tell noobs to play a cleric,
    It teaches you how to heal, and how to follow
    Also, clerics are loved. Everyone loves having a cleric in the group

Then, tr. true reincarnation
    This is level to 20, then reroll
    You do that twice, get a 36 pt build

So, 36 pt build, +6 tomes, and running reaper
    You will be set
    Then you can start experimenting with builds
    Maneuvering a new player into Reaper is about the worst advice I've ever read.

---

OP, most of your questions have been answered adequately. I would add the following:

Character choices: so long as you don't run a difficulty level above 'hard', as a new player you should be able to complete most quests by yourself. A few quests require more than one character to complete (eg 4 characters stand on 4 pads simultaneously to open a door/gate etc). Those quests will be identified as such in the quest UI.

Some class titles you may recognize, some you may not. Names of the classic archetypes generally follow what you might expect of the class. Wizards use magic, fighters swing swords, and so on. Some you might not, such as 'artificer'. Some classes are free, some are for sale, some may be earned by running enough of the right quests.

In my opinion, the 'best' class is the one you enjoy playing. If you're not sure what you like, then try different classes. Even free-to-play accounts get more than one character slot. Create a different character and try that. If you don't like it, delete it. The character creation process is clunky and can be intimidating, so don't be upset if things aren't perfect the first time.

In game, there is an advice channel where other players can respond to your questions. If your chat window does not have a tab labeled 'advice', you can access the channel by typing:
    /advice [message]

Storage: If you don't have it already, I suggest you buy an account upgrade, "Shared Bank". This is the easiest way to transfer things between your characters. It is the only way to transfer "bound-to-account" gear. If you decide to delete a character, move all of your non-bound-to-character items to your Shared Bank.

Lastly, I would suggest you try, at least once, to run each quest solo before joining a group to run the quest. That is the way you get to explore the world without spoilers.