View Poll Results: Special Ability!

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Using your Smite Evil also applies a Greater Restoration effect to you.

7 3.38%
  • Using Turn Undead also deals additional Light and Fire damage to surrounding enemies.

8 3.86%
  • Light Spells you cast increase your Fire SP, and Fire Spells you cast increase your Light SP.

3 1.45%
  • If you are Lawful Good, you benefit from Resistance to Alignment Damage.

10 4.83%
  • Killing an Evil monster grants you increased attack and damage for a short time.

71 34.30%
  • Dying also causes a large explosion around you, significantly damaging all foes.

32 15.46%
  • This item is indestructible.

4 1.93%
  • You are granted additional MRR based on your Religious Lore.

72 34.78%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Systems Designer

Default You Make The Item! (WEEK 4)

Hello, all! Week 3 brought us Honor and Justice as the theme, Week 2 brought us Wisdom and Constitution, and Week 1 brought us Goggles. So, vote above for which special and unique ability the Goggles will have!

The Item so Far:
    Slot: Goggles
    Primary Stat Focus: Wis and Con
    Theme: Honor and Justice
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Oof, I can already tell what's probably going to win. Either the current Falconry-fueled meta brigade will win with 'You are granted additional MRR based on your Religious Lore.' or the trolls will take it with 'Dying also causes a large explosion around you, significantly damaging all foes.'

Personally I'd prefer the more class-agnostic option of 'Killing an Evil monster grants you increased attack and damage for a short time.'
    Last edited by Draxis; 02-06-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draxis View Post
    or the trolls will take it with 'Dying also causes a large explosion around you, significantly damaging all foes.'
    But... I voted for that one.

Community Member

so this went from, you create the item to: You help create a paladin item! yeah no thanks.
    Triple All

Ghallanda forever.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    But... I voted for that one.

So will all right thinking voters (I did). Now make the explosion be the same order of magnitude as the ticking satchel charge from the potion of wonder before they nerfed it.

Oh and make AOE damage affect everyone (friend and foe) for the anniversary event.
    The blinking Drooam "backpack" is NOT a party buff. But its fun to say it is.

Ka-Boom
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJGrubb / Gijo

Community Member

Please dont vote for the one about damage when you die... i dont want an effect that only has a use when i die. Basically means you plan on dying, which is suboptimal.
    Peregrynne of Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hello, all! Week 3 brought us Honor and Justice as the theme, Week 2 brought us Wisdom and Constitution, and Week 1 brought us Goggles. So, vote above for which special and unique ability the Goggles will have!

The Item so Far:
    Slot: Goggles
    Primary Stat Focus: Wis and Con
    Theme: Honor and Justice
    I thought you told us that week 3 brought a tie between honor and justice and mind and body. Then you changed to honor and justice because of 1 late vote after that declaration? And apparently that decision is completely regulating the week 4 theme because these are all honor and justice extra benefits.

I believe there should be some mind and body week 4 options as well considering a 1 vote difference. Maybe more honor and justice options (by one) and then folks can still vote for one among the larger list.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talonthedruid View Post
    Please dont vote for the one about damage when you die... i dont want an effect that only has a use when i die. Basically means you plan on dying, which is suboptimal.
    Thats what makes it funny, and watch many people vote for it.

Bounty Hunter

Why do people think "on death" effects are useful?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    That's when the "do us part" thing happens.

What grade is the explosion around you? Is it undermine mine grade? Kargon Falling bacon stacks grade?
    or a 30th level warlock Eldritch Blast grade or Energy Burst grade?

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Well, this looks like a paladin item now
    So I'm kinda not interested anymore
    Unless you still put accuracy and doublestrike on it

Went with the lawful good charge
    At least I can be a awful good monk
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Its the for "Blood and Honor" thing to do. Can't tank well, but on the front lines? At least you can bring down a few rows of enemy front-liners with you.

With 'Reborn in Light', 'Death Pact' or other self-resurrection mechanisms (Jibber?), or rez by other party members, you can come back to fight another time while taking a revenge to the grave.
    Last edited by Tyrande; 02-06-2019 at 06:12 PM.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Paisheng View Post
    I thought you told us that week 3 brought a tie between honor and justice and mind and body. Then you changed to honor and justice because of 1 late vote after that declaration? And apparently that decision is completely regulating the week 4 theme because these are all honor and justice extra benefits.

I believe there should be some mind and body week 4 options as well considering a 1 vote difference. Maybe more honor and justice options (by one) and then folks can still vote for one among the larger list.
    Oh, uh, to avoid late voting last week I just used the forum tools to set an end date. When I checked after the end date, Honor and Justice had won. I was actually pretty late to work that day and missed the last few hours, tbh.

Did I actually say there was a tie? Because if so I was definitely wrong. Also I am 99% sure that forum poll end dates are absolute. There shouldn't be a way to vote after the end date/time... and if there is I have to go rig some polls from a few years ago

The actual theme ended up roughly independent from class selection due to the weirdness in Week 2, so I skipped class altogether and just jumped right into theming. I hope that the selection of options aren't too single-class specific
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

"Killing an Evil monster grants you increased attack and damage for a short time." seems the most flexible-use vote. So, it got my vote.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Self-Appointed Coin Lord of the Seas ForgettableNPC's Avatar
    VillageTown of GenericLand of ThatOneContinent.

Wish that instead of on-death effect it was whenever you're rendered unconscious.

Paladin tanks with Eternal Defender will have a field day.
    Just a random, forgettable NPC doing things an NPC does
    Things that NPCs do include, but are not limited to:

Having a gold goblet over my head to indicate availability of a quest
    Having a catchphrase that never really catches on
    Having various rewards that are generally not worth the trouble
    Wandering around randomly
    Giving out obvious information if it wasn't obvious enough
    Repeating the same lines over and over again
    Repeating the same lines over and over again

Quote Originally Posted by Paisheng View Post

Agreed. As someone who voted Honor and Justice, this week is awful and many of the choices are disappointing. I was somewhat hopeful when Lynn said "I was prepared for a tie this time, actually. I've got plans... big plans... bwahahahahah" but I guess those plans either didn't exist or weren't good enough since there was a mere 0.5% difference stopping a tie.

"Using your Smite Evil also applies a Greater Restoration effect to you."
    "If you are Lawful Good, you benefit from Resistance to Alignment Damage."
    "Killing an Evil monster grants you increased attack and damage for a short time."
    "You are granted additional MRR based on your Religious Lore."
    All Honor and Justice representation, Smiting to cure negative levels and ability damage is a neat effect and would free up KotC AP that some people use to turn Remove Disease into Greater Restoration.
    I'm not sure how often enemies spam Alignment damage for that to be useful. If it also included Light or Negative damage then I'd probably go LG on some characters to benefit from it but with just Alignment it feels too 'meh'.
    Increased attack and damage for a short time, I feel like this will be coded to be too short to be real use and in a party you're going to be competing for last hits which isn't that great. If you take out 99% of something's health and then someone else cherry taps it for the kill you get no buff? Would be much better if it was "If an Evil monster you damaged in the past 3 seconds dies, you gain increased attack and damage".
    MRR based on Religious Lore is 100% top pick, usable by a bunch of classes, universally useful effect, there's not much to say about this.

"Using Turn Undead also deals additional Light and Fire damage to surrounding enemies."
    "Light Spells you cast increase your Fire SP, and Fire Spells you cast increase your Light SP."
    Both of these feel like Fire and Brimstone. If Turn Undead was changed to Channel Divinity then it would be more appealing to Paladins but as it is, Divine Might, Divine Righteousness and Glorious Stand are competing for turns and I doubt the damage from the item would be worth wasting divinity charges on.
    I don't think any Paladins I have ever seen have cast a single light OR fire spell. So two Divine Disciple/Angel of Vengeance items which came in at 2nd last place in week 3, not sure why it has so much representation here.

"Dying also causes a large explosion around you, significantly damaging all foes."
    Yes. "Significantly". I'm guessing, what, 500 damage? Wheeee. And all you have to do is die, the thing that EVERYONE wants to do. ESPECIALLY your tank. AND it is anti-synergistic with one of the Paladin's Capstones! It's like Martyrdom from RS; the classes you don't want to have die have to die... to get a middling effect that is much worse than, you know, keeping them alive and not dead. I guess this is Pain and Suffering representation, since you have to die to get any effect from your item.

"This item is indestructible."
    This option is trash. It is EXTREMELY underpowered and underwhelming and Paladins have Item Defense in SaD which makes this even more useless. Not seeing it being thematic with any of last week's options either.

4 Honor and Justice effects, 2 Fire and Brimstone, 1 Pain and Suffering, and 1 effect that made its way out of the garbage can somehow. Nothing for the 31% who were 1/200th off of being in the plurality for most votes.

This also somewhat exhibits the flaws in first past the post voting (though really, both options rounded to 31% of votes, so it should have been a tie) and it's unfortunate that we can only vote on one option each poll instead of ranking from most wanted to least wanted.
    imo, Coombs' method would be ideal, Instant-runoff voting would be fine as well, but first past the post is just so bad.
    Hi Welcome

Oh, uh, to avoid late voting last week I just used the forum tools to set an end date. When I checked after the end date, Honor and Justice had won. I was actually pretty late to work that day and missed the last few hours, tbh.

Did I actually say there was a tie? Because if so I was definitely wrong. Also I am 99% sure that forum poll end dates are absolute. There shouldn't be a way to vote after the end date/time... and if there is I have to go rig some polls from a few years ago

The actual theme ended up roughly independent from class selection due to the weirdness in Week 2, so I skipped class altogether and just jumped right into theming. I hope that the selection of options aren't too single-class specific
    This what you posted prior to being informed by another forumite that honor and justice won by a singular vote: " I was prepared for a tie this time, actually. I've got plans... big plans... bwahahahahah"

I do not know what your official deadline and which theme actually was ahead at that time....however your earlier concession that it was a tie implied you had some fusion plan for both themes or were going to honor both themes some how (this is how I took your sinister laughter intentions) :0

I do perceive all the selections above in the theme of honor and justice. I am happy whatever the ddo community decides whether I use the item or not I think this is fun community exercise. I think if you simply add 2 special effects -- one in theme with mind and body -- the item may ultimately appeal to a larger player audience.

In any event thanks for engaging the community to put some item in ddo

Community Member

This is an attack of pure evil by heathens upon Charlemagne's Court a Ka-Boom bomb designed to release smoke and poison gas, to blow up the item so no one wants it. The Paladin’s oath is a powerful bond of the divine radiance will it shine forth?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast