Community Member

Default Call to Soundburst (bear)

Happy anniversary to D&D! Ok, so let's roll out a celebration build involving the new Knight's Training feat! This is an adaption of the triple stat paladin soundburst build. As seen below, we can triple stat strength for melee, wisdom for casting, and charisma for turn undead/divine might. But even if soundburst casting fails, like it does against constructs in this dungeon, we still have a 600 lb bear barreling down the hallway!

]

Now there is a new Knights Training feat, which improves longswords, battle axes, and some 1 Handed non-swashbuckling blunt weapons. Now the blunt weapons are purposely held back due to LD Pulverizer, so we will dump them. Battle axes don't have good crit synergy options at low level, so we'll dump those as well. This leaves long swords. Fortunately, there is an awesome low level longsword which has great synergy with this new feat, Nightforge Avenger Blade, which is easy to get and most importantly, is adamantine making it extremely durable. You need an adamantine weapon, or multiple easily obtained duplicate weapons for bear form. When you fight 1handed/shield with glancing blows in bear form, all the durability damage from both the glancing blows and normal hits will double time shred your 1 handed weapon. Normally, such damage is attributed to a 2 handed weapon, which has double durability, or on a class like fighter with item defense reducing durability loss 75%, but bears have to fight 1 handed/shield to take advantage of their advanced Ursa's Defender stance and do not have item defense. Now druids aren't proficient with long swords, and scrolling master's touch by shifting out of bear form is a pain, so we will use our cleric diety Sovereign Host to obtain longsword proficiency. A Sky Pirate's Dagger or other mix of weapons will get us to Nightforge Avenger Blade.

Now bears fight raged for optimal benefits, so we will also need cleric destruction domain to cast raged. We'll start with 3 druid for eligibility for Natural Fighting feats, then add on our soundburst, then add on more druid. The reason we are splashing for soundburst is that it is a helpless stun that increases our damage by 55% that also works on reapers, while bear stuns are not helpless and do not work on reapers.

Bear form only gets glancing blows on the first and fourth basic attack (not on double strikes) when standing still, and not on cleaves. 1 handed cleaves without glancing blows are not impressive, so we will just auto attack. Our auto attacks are going to hit like a bear though since we will have high double strike from natural fighting feats and other sources, expanded crit range from weapon, crit multiplier from knights training, crit multiplier from nature's warrior, glancing blows, attack speed from nature's warrior, melee power from nature's protector and other sources, and soundburst helpless, all multiplying damage over and over to a bear-mauling level.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Any Eberron Race, True Neutral
    Very good + levels wisdom, good strength and charisma, decent con, int.
    Levels and Feats:
    1-3 Druid, Power Attack, Natural Fighting, Bear Form
    4-6 Cleric Quicken Sovereign Host Diety (Free Longsword Proficiency), Destruction Domain, (Free plate proficiency)
    7-9 Druid Knight's Training
    10-12 Druid Improved Critical: Slashing (free feat swap to SF:Evo, Spell Pen, or Completionist before retaking feat with fighter levels), Dire Bear
    13-16 Druid Natural Fighting #2
    17-18 Fighter Shield Deflection (can block while attacking), Improved Critical: Slashing, (Free Tower Shield Proficiency), Natural Fighting #3 from level 18 normal feat slot
    19-20 Hold xp to reincarnate at 20*
    ---------------------------------------------------
    AP:
    Levels 1-12 we will put 4 AP into divine might, and the rest into the bear tree, leftovers in NW as we see fit.
    At level 15 we will have 58 AP, which is exactly what we need for 21 AP NW Core 4 (+1 crit multiplier), 4 AP warpriest (Divine Might), and 33 AP Natures Protector (beast unleashed and bear charge), which are the primary power cornerstones of this build. Since we are already using 3 cleric for soundburst, we should go 12 druid up to 15 to be eligible for the +1 crit multiplier Core 4, and then we can pick what we want from there.
    16-20 fill in whatever you want

Skills: some of: Intimidate, Heal, Concentration, Balance, Spot, UMD for rezzing if you want

This build can be adapted to any tank, bow, melee, ranged, thrower, or caster platform on any class. You can dps off any soundburst stat (charisma or wisdom) with an offstat, or a related stat such as strength from divine might on a charisma build. Your character might not be developed enough to break spell resistance with just a 3 level splash, but Burst of Glacial Wrath (BoGW) which has an even higher DC has no spell resistance check. If your character has relevant gear and past lives and you build for it, you will blow through spell resistance until you get to Burst of Glacial Wrath, although you may need to carefully pick an ED and twists for early epics. Kensai in particular was a godly casting tree, due to power surge +8 all stats, but SSG nerfed it. Rogue is particularly stylish. Arti drops heroic damage numbers down that make you question reality.

*Bears are hybrid casters, but don't get epic spell progression, because their rage locks out BoGW, Mass Frog, Renewal, Cocoon, etc. So just don't take a bear into epics. If you do take this into epics, then level 12 gets swapped to SF:Evo for twists, and use an Oathblade. Any ED you want xp in.

21 OC
    24 Completionist or Bulwark
    26 PTWF
    27 Haste
    28 Elusive Target
    29 Dire Charge
    30 Scion of Earth, Epic DR

Then if you have falconry, can also go 22 AP Falconry (Wisdom to hit/dmg/ktax2), 25 AP NW (Crit multiplier, fatal harrier, four legs good), 33 AP NP (Melee Power and Charge T5). Or just stay NW + NP + divine might.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-08-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Why do you need soundburst on a tree that gets aoe stuns at level 5 and the dc is better?

I may never build one* - but I unashamedly enjoy these Call to Soundburst builds and hope they continue in perpetuity.

*but I also might!
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    Why do you need soundburst on a tree that gets aoe stuns at level 5 and the dc is better?
    You don't need. However, bear stuns aren't helpless, don't hit reapers, and you have to use 3 abilities over 3 seconds (maul > shred > roar) and 9 AP to build and use killer instinct stacks to get a 6 second bear stun. So bear sortof stuns itself half as long as it stuns others. So it is more dps and better reaper control to use soundburst helpless stun, unless one needs the higher DC of bear stuns.

Plus bear special attacks don't glancing blow, and this lets me use 1 button on my toolbar instead of 3.

Edit: I just realized we can't use BoGW while raged since it isn't a cleric or druid spell. Oh sad days. Or most epic abilities like renewal in US or Cocoon. So we are limited to heroic casting while raged, which means you are locked out of epic spell progression. Since bears are hybrid spellcasters, that means we just don't take bears into epics. Removed epic levels and considerations from OP.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-05-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Community Member

Level 8. Now have Salt Ray and Soundburst.

Salt Ray has no spell pen check and seems to helpless stun everything, including things that should be stun immune like undead or oozes. Heh.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    You don't need. However, bear stuns aren't helpless, don't hit reapers, and you have to use 3 abilities over 3 seconds (maul > shred > roar) and 9 AP to build and use killer instinct stacks to get a 6 second bear stun. So bear sortof stuns itself half as long as it stuns others. So it is more dps and better reaper control to use soundburst helpless stun, unless one needs the higher DC of bear stuns.

Plus bear special attacks don't glancing blow, and this lets me use 1 button on my toolbar instead of 3.

Edit: I just realized we can't use BoGW while raged since it isn't a cleric or druid spell. Oh sad days. Or most epic abilities like renewal in US or Cocoon. So we are limited to heroic casting while raged, which means you are locked out of epic spell progression. Since bears are hybrid spellcasters, that means we just don't take bears into epics. Removed epic levels and considerations from OP.
    With 15 lvl druid u can get
    Heal
    Earthquake

Far better than any other epic spell or feat

So why not epic ?
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alled78 View Post
    With 15 lvl druid u can get
    Heal
    Earthquake

Far better than any other epic spell or feat

So why not epic ?
    I wanted helpless damage and higher DC from BoGW, and healing efficiency and output of renewal for tanking raids. We could take this into epics with CC we have and Oathblade, and it would do fine. I'm not looking for doing fine or anything else power wise, I'm looking for elegant synergy with how the build flows with available choices. I'll fill in 21-30 I guess for others.

Edit: Level 12, getting there. Nightforge Avenger Blade is now 15-20x3. So compared to anyone else on any class I have partied with bear does as well or better. Contributes as much damage to a party through attacks and helpless as even a sorc, with CC, healing, and tanking on top. So this is what playing a balanced character is like, which for bear is an achievement. Have essence of the shrike now at level 12 fueling soundburst and salt ray. Heh. That's nice.

I've noticed though that bear is about 1.5 reaper difficulties lower than my updated soundburst paladin which I just played last life, due to lacking burst healing (lay on hands), availability of wearable plate and % hp without a shield allowing higher dps 2h weapons, instant kills (turn undead and holy retribution), glancing blows while moving and on special attacks, and cleaves with cleave synergy. Soundburst paladin started walking through R4 at level 4, R5 easier content, mostly R5-6 in Gianthold except swim. Bear is a slower R3 most everything, R4 Gianthold. I'm estimating that bear needs about 70% more damage from mechanics multiplying all their damage at all levels to be equal to a paladin while leveling in heroic reaper.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-11-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Community Member

Level 15, full crit synergy achieved. With IC:Slash (doesn't show on weapon) have 15-20x4. Auto attack crits for a tad over 1200 on helpless, with a decent soundburst and salt ray dc for helpless.

Last edited by Tilomere; 02-11-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Community Member

Level 15, full crit synergy achieved. With IC:Slash (doesn't show on weapon) have 15-20x4. Auto attack crits for a tad over 1200 on helpless, with a decent soundburst and salt ray dc for helpless.
    Where's your MP standing? Bear druid absolutely strongest point should be stacking.melee power and using a three point Roar on vulnerable enemies. Working on soundburst-stunned mobs with fully synergized roars might clear rooms with sufficient efficiency.

Pre-charging stacks for roar is a hassle, but pays off. Particularly in epics/LD/prowess/horc rage/sense weakness. Fun nuke times.

Why would blunt weapons be held back because of pulverized? Knight training not stack?
    Khyber IN BAD COMPANY Longand Drunkmage Sexyheals Fullforce

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuunkukka View Post
    Where's your MP standing? Bear druid absolutely strongest point should be stacking.melee power and using a three point Roar on vulnerable enemies. Working on soundburst-stunned mobs with fully synergized roars might clear rooms with sufficient efficiency.

Pre-charging stacks for roar is a hassle, but pays off. Particularly in epics/LD/prowess/horc rage/sense weakness. Fun nuke times.
    Around 55 or so. 35 from NP, 12 from NW, 8 from feats. Roar does about 200 base. I'd rather just hold auto attack down, and reserve toolbar slots for other abilities. If my spell DCs weren't as good as they are, would use roar, and would also use roar in epics when mob fort saves go through the roof. On R3 would drop down to 100.

Quote Originally Posted by count_spicoli View Post
    Why would blunt weapons be held back because of pulverized? Knight training not stack?
    So blunt weapons get extra crit range in LD due to pulverizer, so to prevent them from becoming better than khopeshes with knight's training, knight's training has a weaker effect on them. Since we are leveling in heroics and will never have LD pulverizer, as a result we just dump blunt weapons and use longsword above instead (which we would do anyways, because that longsword is adamantine).

So spells, enhancements (you may want to use the roar stun depending on your casting DCs), and my character broke an adamantine ritual adamantine weapon in 2.7 R3 quests (grouped, so not even solo durability loss), and had to finish the third cannith quest with a spectral dagger. I tried splashing barb for movement speed because I didn't need extra defense or DCs from fighter feats. You get move speed out of barb, but your weapon breaks before you can finish 3 quests. Need the item defense out of fighter enhancements (or falconry if you have it). If my character is breaking adamantine blades in 3 quests in heroics against CR 29 mobs, then Oathblades which have even lower hardness are going to just come apart like tissue paper in epics against CR 30-70 mobs.

Last edited by Tilomere; 03-21-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Community Member

Around 55 or so. 35 from NP, 12 from NW, 8 from feats. Roar does about 200 base. I'd rather just hold auto attack down, and reserve toolbar slots for other abilities. If my spell DCs weren't as good as they are, would use roar, and would also use roar in epics when mob fort saves go through the roof. On R3 would drop down to 100.

So blunt weapons get extra crit range in LD due to pulverizer, so to prevent them from becoming better than khopeshes with knight's training, knight's training has a weaker effect on them. Since we are leveling in heroics and will never have LD pulverizer, as a result we just dump blunt weapons and use longsword above instead (which we would do anyways, because that longsword is adamantine).

So spells, enhancements (you may want to use the roar stun depending on your casting DCs), and my character broke an adamantine ritual adamantine weapon in 2.7 R3 quests (grouped, so not even solo durability loss), and had to finish the third cannith quest with a spectral dagger. I tried splashing barb for movement speed because I didn't need extra defense or DCs from fighter feats. You get move speed out of barb, but your weapon breaks before you can finish 3 quests. Need the item defense out of fighter enhancements. If my character is breaking adamantine blades in 3 quests in heroics against CR 29 mobs, then Oathblades which have even lower hardness are going to just come apart like tissue paper in epics against CR 30-70 mobs.

U can use t2 t3 ghostly enhacement in wolf tree till lvl 10 to slot a better augment
    There is a lvl 4 or 5 spell giving u + 4 cost and strenght(animal growth)
    See u in epics
    Last edited by Alled78; 02-15-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS