Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Community Member AbyssalMage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,243

    Default Knight's Training Build

    I don't make great DC builds (Because I don't invest in the gear to get reliable DC's)

    So, with Knight's Training it looks like there may be another option other than FR Maul Frankenstein, BF Great Sword, and Axel's Melee Build.

    Has anyone thrown together a pure 20 Cleric of the Sovereign Host (or maybe Onatar)?

    Basically:
    SWF, TWF, or Other?
    What Domain?
    Or is it still only a flavor build because of other limitations?
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1055cm View Post
    They have been tweaking the game since I started and often I disagree with them. They focus on wrong stuff, over or under compensate and abandon too much stuff. Every once in awhile they get something right, if only temporarily.

  2. #2
    Community Member RevCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    I don't make great DC builds (Because I don't invest in the gear to get reliable DC's)

    So, with Knight's Training it looks like there may be another option other than FR Maul Frankenstein, BF Great Sword, and Axel's Melee Build.

    Has anyone thrown together a pure 20 Cleric of the Sovereign Host (or maybe Onatar)?

    Basically:
    SWF, TWF, or Other?
    What Domain?
    Or is it still only a flavor build because of other limitations?
    Well, I can't comment on a pure lvl 20 Cleric but I am using a 12 Cleric/ 8 Fighter. TWF warhammed, War Domain but using Amaunator (not out of choice since on Iconic and plan on using Onatar when I TR again back to Human), everything stat wise when progressing in Epics goes to strength, critz as high as I can get em. Tho I do have 22 ETR's under the belt and 2 TR so far and using PDK atm. Everything aims towards melee power and dire charge is my best friend atm lol

    I dont think my build is flavor anymore, it holds up very nicely solo wise or support/DPS as needed. Can't ask for better

    RevCo

  3. #3
    Community Member Selvera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Honestly I don't expect knight's training to make any great waves of improvement to any build; some builds (longsword clerics) will have some moderate amount of improvement to them.

    "Flavor build" is not really something I would apply to melee clerics -> They do what they do well; be a versatile swap between a powerful/easy solo of low difficulties and a moderately competent healbot in higher difficulties. They're not a build for R10 meta; but not every build needs to be.

    Longsword clerics now have a moderate advantage over khopeshes in the form of being able to use their patron's favored weapon attacks/enhancements and having better named item options between levels 8 and 28. (IMO no longswords at levels 1-7 are good; and at levels 29+ named khopeshes are just as good or better then named longswords).

    That being said; I still think one of (if not the) best longsword cleric build is simply to take the build I describe here; and use longswords instead of khopeshes. And fit in knight's training into the feats somewhere. Probably get precision at level 3; knight's training at level 6; epic damage reduction at level 27 and two weapon defense at level 30. (Skip empower healing)

    I'll also mention that favored souls are likely slightly better wielders of the longsword then clerics.
    Selvera: Human Bard 12/Barb 6/Rogue 2/Epic 6; Handaxe swashbuckler
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 9; Just a pastlife for an alt

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,391

    Default

    It'll all be good as I see it. Knight's Training helps out deity weapons so to me, this buff affects the divines more than anyone. Dagger was already a great option, but now some other weapons join the party. I'm looking at this from strictly a non-raid heroic solo perspective.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    I don't make great DC builds (Because I don't invest in the gear to get reliable DC's)

    Or is it still only a flavor build because of other limitations?
    If you can't land DCs on a cleric, it will be a flavor build because of that limitation, but flavor builds can handle almost all available grouping.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-05-2019 at 12:46 PM.

  6. #6
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel
    axel15810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,598

    Default

    I guess I'd go Human with longswords and favored by sovereign host. But if you're building for DCs not sure why you'd take the feat since it's for melee? You could also just use Kopesh via exotic proficiency from War Domain as another option.

    I think when it comes to being optimal Silvanus will still be better than Knight's Training with longswords or battle axe if going for melee just because it doesn't cost a feat slot and the bonus is better (+2 to crit range as opposed to +1).

    With this route you could actually benefit from favored weapon with longsword bonus via warpriest tree but I'd still much rather build it with falconry since falconry is just so much better. But if you don't have falconry and want to stay pure it would be the next best thing for melee'ing with longswords.
    Last edited by axel15810; 02-05-2019 at 01:11 PM.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    SWF, TWF, or Other?
    A decent rule of thumb for judging TWF vs. SWF is whether you have 2 of the following 3:
    1. 100% off-hand attacks
    2. 100% off-hand stat
    3. 50% of your damage from sources that cannot crit.

    If you have 2 or more of those, then go with TWF. If you do not, go with SWF. That being said, the 'rule' is for endgame where you have plenty of doublestrike.

    When Knight's Training was being discussed, I theorized that a 14/5/1 Cleric/Ranger/Monk TWF Long Sword build with War Domain could work. Even just the 1 Monk portion gets you stances and +10% off-hand. You could probably just go with a typical Clonk build of 18/2. Add in Wild Elf and you'd get 95% off-hand attacks with 16-20/x4 weapons.

    However, if you want a pure divine caster, then Favored Soul is just better for this application. They get +1/+1 threat/multiplier in War Soul and get Wis/Cha to damage/hit natively (rather than via an expensive investment in an outside tree).
    Last edited by Hjarki; 02-05-2019 at 03:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Community Member Vish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Too Stoned AZ
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Khopesh looks cooler

    See bird man in cleric

    Lolz
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

    Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I'm sorry, what is DC?

    Looking into possibly rebuilding my cleric as at level 4 the autoleveled cleric I'm running I just realized only has a 7 heal skills. I think a boatload of points have been thrown at balance, but my balance is still - 3.

    TIA.

  10. #10
    Community Member Ballrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Over the hills and far away...
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    I don't make great DC builds (Because I don't invest in the gear to get reliable DC's)

    So, with Knight's Training it looks like there may be another option other than FR Maul Frankenstein, BF Great Sword, and Axel's Melee Build.

    Has anyone thrown together a pure 20 Cleric of the Sovereign Host (or maybe Onatar)?

    Basically:
    SWF, TWF, or Other?
    What Domain?
    Or is it still only a flavor build because of other limitations?
    Not pure, 12 cleric / 8 fighter. dwarf warhammer, str domain, swf. Very fun.

  11. #11
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel
    axel15810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Velan View Post
    I'm sorry, what is DC?
    Difficulty Class - https://ddowiki.com/page/Difficulty_class

    The higher your DC the higher the chance for your spell to beat an enemy's saving throw. So that means the higher your spell DC the better chance for your spell to hit or to do maximum damage. DC for cleric spellcasting is based on WIS score. You can also increase it further with feats, equipment, enhancements, ect.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    96

    Default

    On my 2nd life cleric (18 now), I'm doing Onatar, warhammer and shield, and I'm using War priest and Falconry. It seems to be going well, but it's weird and I'm not running ahealing aura at all. I move into close combat, cleave, great cleave, healing strike thingy, bird attacks, and then cast if I need to (Cometfall, Implosion, and Flame Strike being the primary casts).

    My damage is decent but not great, my PRR is about 100 at 18 (not sure if that's good or not, tbh). I don't feel like I'm a burden to groups. I dunno. It seems to be working better than Radiant/Falconry.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I'd go TWF Clonk, either 2 or 6 levels of Monk.
    Either STR/CHA based, or WIS/Falconry.
    Might be a feat starved build though, Whirling Steel Strike requires Weapon Focus, and you'll want Stance feats as well (maybe skip Grandmaster of Forms if STR based/Sun Stance)

    With 2 levels of Monk you can put 8 AP into Shintao for Deft Strikes and Iron Skin; Henshin 1st Core is great as well.
    With 6 levels you can go for Ninja 3rd core.
    Vistani 11 AP (3rd core) / 21 AP (Celerity) for 5%/10% doublestrike (both main and offhand).

    Something like (32 Radiant / 25 warpriest / 11 Vistani / 8 Shintao / 1Henshin / 3 Human)

    14 Cleric 6 Ranger might be fun as well (40 Tempest / 11 DwS / 25 Warpriest / 3 Human )
    Last edited by magaiti; 03-13-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Arlandina / Bayanessa of Argonnessen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload