Community Member

Default Favored Soul help

I'm just coming back to DDO after about 8+ (?) years gone. I have a cleric, a couple rogues (I solo play and play with my son - the FVS would most likely be solo play unless my son decided to switch his rogue from leveling with my fighter to the FVS, a couple of fighters (one drow, one human, both leveling with my son's characters). I've heard of three types of builds, Angel of Vengeance, Beacon of Hope, and War Soul, but the only option when creating a new character is "custom", so I need to find a good middle of the road build that I can solo with, but hopefully one I can swap enhancements with if I ever get into a group. And I have absolutely no idea what do with stats, feats, etc. (I'm sorry, but I haven't rolled a character by hand in many years, and even then I had a general guide).
    Also, one question I had was about race. I mean, I get that humans get more feats, but I was considering drow because of the 28 point build, some weapon proficiency is racial with drow. If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it. I've looked at some builds, and I'm not finding everything I want, maybe?

Community Member

Luckily enough, Favored Souls are a class that can get around well enough alone.
    The "three types of builds" you heard about are actually the class' three enhancement trees. Most builds these days focus on a single tree and then take their pick from the remaining two, or from their racial trees or general trees available to everyone.

Angel of Vengeance is the pure damage caster variant. Having played one, I can say it's great fun, and Sun Bolt is a huge source of your damage early on. As for most casters, you'll need some gear to make it work. Less so than a Crowd Control-focused Wizard, but still, some planning needed.

Beacon of Hope is a pure healer. It does support very well, and has some neat defensive abilities, but if you're planning to solo, not the best route. It's a decent secondary tree though.

Finally, War Soul is the Favored Soul's version of Warpriest. It's meant to be fighting with weapons, more specifically the weapon of your chosen deity. Most of them are melee, with the sole exception of the Silver Flame, that lets its adherents use longbows. The reason the deity and weapon choice is important is because it lets the Favored Soul use their casting stat to calculate accuracy and damage with that one weapon. If you're used to fighting in melee, Favored Soul isn't as durable as a Fighter, but does get an array of buffing and healing spells which Fighters do not, that makes their soloing careers a bit easier.

As for stats, even the weapon-using Favored Souls still want to focus on their main casting stats. On this front, they get a boon in DDO no other caster gets - they get to choose between two stats (Wisdom or Charisma), instead of being forced to use the one assigned to their class.
    Drow get extra Charisma, so that's a plus, but they also get a penalty to Constitution, which you have to think about.

If you go caster, you want the usual slew of metamagic feats, Maximize, Quicken, Empower (really, those three on the Sun Bolt Spell-Like the Angels of Vengeance get is pure damage-dishing goodness)
    If you go with weapons, you have to choose your deity more carefully, and your feats according to that deity. If you pick a deity with a melee weapon, I'd suggest trying your hand at Single Weapon Fighting. Easy prerequisites, quick damage, a free hand to equip an orb to boost your spellcasting. I did it with a Sovereign Host (longsword) Favored Soul. Great fun, not top of the hill damage-wise, but still pretty awesome. Another thing you can try is going with the Blood of Vol (daggers) if you have the Vistani Knife Fighter tree unlocked. This is probably better than my own version, but I didn't have it unlocked while I played, hence, longswords.

Community Member

Thank you! So one can go with a wisdom built, and just have a certain level of charisma for SP. What's the lowest charisma you recommend? I'm trying to find good builds, but it's eye crossing at times. You've been a lot of help, just with the information you've already provided.