Default Is Barbarian viable on high level reaper? Suggestions

I tr:d my alt from Paladin into a pure horc Barb recently and I tried to run some legendary r4+ with groups and they just carried my soul stone around or I couldn't contribute any dps at all.
    I have very few epic and heroic past lives and not a lot of items from leg ravenloft. I also got like 11 reaper points which is also not that much.

1. How should I improve my build? I went full ravager.

2. Is thf barb viable or should I switch back to bladeforged Paladin?

3. Barbarian dr buff vanishes after death. Is it a bug? Is it just the icon vanishing of the buff for real?

4. Are there any builds I could look into?

The only preq for this build is thf.
    Khyber : Agraell, Bellafontas, Olethrio, Tiropitaki, Tserp

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by silisav View Post
    3. Barbarian dr buff vanishes after death. Is it a bug? Is it just the icon vanishing of the buff for real?
    Bad news is it's currently bugged, good news is this bug has been fixed internally and will be in an upcoming patch.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Bad news is it's currently bugged, good news is this bug has been fixed internally and will be in an upcoming patch.
    Eh I thought so. Thanks for the reply and thanks for your hard work in the game )))))))

Sounds like you just need to find a solid build somewhere. Don't ask me though, I'm no build expert :P

You can look around or join the DDO discord and ask there, someone will help you.

Once you have that build, it hopefully also includes a gear list, which is probably your main issue right now (you said you didn't have legendary ravenloft).

I wouldn't worry about the pastlives, while it's nice to have all those shiny small bonuses, it doesn't make a huge difference. Good gear, good swap items such as greensteel displacement clickies, will make your character better much more quickly.

Other than that, practise I suppose. With a proper build, good gear etc you will have better dps, better stun dc, and if you time your stuns / dire charges well this will make a huge difference in your play.

Have fun :P

Community Member

I tr:d my alt from Paladin into a pure horc Barb recently and I tried to run some legendary r4+ with groups and they just carried my soul stone around or I couldn't contribute any dps at all.
    I have very few epic and heroic past lives and not a lot of items from leg ravenloft. I also got like 11 reaper points which is also not that much.

1. How should I improve my build? I went full ravager.

2. Is thf barb viable or should I switch back to bladeforged Paladin?

4. Are there any builds I could look into?

The only preq for this build is thf.
    Barbarian can do very well in leg reaper

You need do learn how to play it and good stuff ( not raid item but at least all best item from normal quests)
    U should be able to stun and trip

We need to know your build to improve it...

If u lack experience go ranged is safer (arty4 fighter6 rogue10)
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

I will say that on low reaper Barbarians are amazing. Even as a first lifer with blood tribute and ear smash you can solo r1 easily. On high reapers though you suffer from what every melee suffers on high reaper: non-cc'ed mobs will just one-two shot you.
    Social Justice W...arlock (5e toon)
    OkarisRage, Artificer with 3 druid past lives = <3

Keeping in mind that self-healing is generally poor to non-existent for nearly any build in Reaper, and I'll assume the group you were running with didn't just ignore trying to heal you, what I would suggest is looking at how you are approaching the encounters.

I have found in Reaper that taking as little damage as possible is a good place to start.

Are you running into the middle of groups of mobs and then trying to spam cleave type abilities while taking hits?
    The higher the reaper the less damage you put out, so unless you can kill the mobs in 1 to 2 hits it might not be a good idea to let 5 or 6 hit back at you with an open target.

Are you using any Tactical Abilities?
    Such as stun and trip - you take less damage if things don't attack back

Are you running in a group where at least one member has decent CC abilities, and waiting for the CC before you engage?
    Again, when things don't hit back you have a better survival chance. Also, Revenger has some nice abilities that benefit from mobs being helpless.
    Also, are you using intimidate with "fear me", while this will draw attention to you the shaken effect reduces their saves to help with landing CC, also reduces their to hit (which may or may not depending on AC reduce the number of hits you have to take)

Are you making sure Uncanny Dodge is active before you engage with a group?
    This does have a short duration and a cooldown, but it is worth keeping active while you are engaged fighting.

Weapon choice?
    In Heroic Reaper at least Vorpal is a great equalizer for the reduction of damage output as many mobs have less then 1k HP or can be brought to less then 1k in a reasonable time.
    Also with reduced damage breaking DR is more valuable.
    The "Golf bag" approach can help reduce the number of times you have your damage blocked.

Defense?
    What are you looking at defense wise?
    Are you relying on DR? (glad to hear they are fixing the bug)
    Are you layering on PRR?
    Are you maximizing your Dodge?
    Are you using equipment that grants you concealment or additional miss chances?

Quote Originally Posted by Epicstorms View Post
    Sounds like you just need to find a solid build somewhere. Don't ask me though, I'm no build expert :P

You can look around or join the DDO discord and ask there, someone will help you.

Once you have that build, it hopefully also includes a gear list, which is probably your main issue right now (you said you didn't have legendary ravenloft).

I wouldn't worry about the pastlives, while it's nice to have all those shiny small bonuses, it doesn't make a huge difference. Good gear, good swap items such as greensteel displacement clickies, will make your character better much more quickly.

Other than that, practise I suppose. With a proper build, good gear etc you will have better dps, better stun dc, and if you time your stuns / dire charges well this will make a huge difference in your play.

Have fun :P
    I based my build on this one https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...0-Endgame-Barb even though obviously I had str and con because I was not dwarf.

Get post-ravenloft gear before pushing skulls. Grind it out on a lower skull or even hard. Gear is the gateway.

THF cc is dire charge, ear smash, and lay waste. Get meld into darkness from shadow dancer. Don't pull packs unless you have meld or improved uncanny Dodge up.

Playing well takes practice in high skull, there is no getting around that. You'll wrap your head around it gradually.
    Without new players DDO will go the way of the dodo.
    r10 @ 30 stuff, Sorc Build Guide, Lagwipe Log, Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Keeping in mind that self-healing is generally poor to non-existent for nearly any build in Reaper, and I'll assume the group you were running with didn't just ignore trying to heal you, what I would suggest is looking at how you are approaching the encounters.

I have found in Reaper that taking as little damage as possible is a good place to start.

Are you running into the middle of groups of mobs and then trying to spam cleave type abilities while taking hits?
    The higher the reaper the less damage you put out, so unless you can kill the mobs in 1 to 2 hits it might not be a good idea to let 5 or 6 hit back at you with an open target.

Are you using any Tactical Abilities?
    Such as stun and trip - you take less damage if things don't attack back

Are you running in a group where at least one member has decent CC abilities, and waiting for the CC before you engage?
    Again, when things don't hit back you have a better survival chance. Also, Revenger has some nice abilities that benefit from mobs being helpless.
    Also, are you using intimidate with "fear me", while this will draw attention to you the shaken effect reduces their saves to help with landing CC, also reduces their to hit (which may or may not depending on AC reduce the number of hits you have to take)

Are you making sure Uncanny Dodge is active before you engage with a group?
    This does have a short duration and a cooldown, but it is worth keeping active while you are engaged fighting.

Weapon choice?
    In Heroic Reaper at least Vorpal is a great equalizer for the reduction of damage output as many mobs have less then 1k HP or can be brought to less then 1k in a reasonable time.
    Also with reduced damage breaking DR is more valuable.
    The "Golf bag" approach can help reduce the number of times you have your damage blocked.

Defense?
    What are you looking at defense wise?
    Are you relying on DR? (glad to hear they are fixing the bug)
    Are you layering on PRR?
    Are you maximizing your Dodge?
    Are you using equipment that grants you concealment or additional miss chances?
    I didn't have any big issue on heroic reaper. Leg reaper was my main issue. Which is ok because I dont have the best items. And I am sure it was a combination of those questions you have asked.
    I just got a legendary tail of scorpion which has vorpal and I think I can be fine with that.
    My prr is about 80.
    Also not maxed my dodge.

My issues was mainly that self healing was procing every 20 hits which I was dead by then and that I was not getting any real healing.
    I tr:ed again to paladin and will come back to barbarian at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-u-r-eye View Post
    Get post-ravenloft gear before pushing skulls. Grind it out on a lower skull or even hard. Gear is the gateway.

THF cc is dire charge, ear smash, and lay waste. Get meld into darkness from shadow dancer. Don't pull packs unless you have meld or improved uncanny Dodge up.

Playing well takes practice in high skull, there is no getting around that. You'll wrap your head around it gradually.
    Will do that! Thanks!

I didn't have any big issue on heroic reaper. Leg reaper was my main issue. Which is ok because I dont have the best items. And I am sure it was a combination of those questions you have asked.
    I just got a legendary tail of scorpion which has vorpal and I think I can be fine with that.
    My prr is about 80.
    Also not maxed my dodge.

My issues was mainly that self healing was procing every 20 hits which I was dead by then and that I was not getting any real healing.
    I tr:ed again to paladin and will come back to barbarian at a later time.
    Ok, then here is my suggestion - Silver Flame Favor. Carry both types of Pots. On Reaper they won't be super heals, but will do better then drinking Cure Serious. Hang back when drinking these until the debuff wears off.

As for tactics while in group, hang back until agro is established then rush in, or if there is a caster in the back rush to that, kill it and rush back to the safety of the group.

Community Member Smashwithbeard's Avatar

I am running a barb in middle skull reaper. The single best feature is the instakill from Ravager. It is a will save versus Con which is really easy for a CON focused barb. I am not leading the party in kills, but I am in the top three (unless everything is immune to fear and paralysis).

Just finished a barbarian life on my main character, and it was fantastic in Reaper. At 30 I had just over 4k hp raged, and PRR/MRR coupled with the 16% barb DR was great for survivability, and was getting very solid DPS as well.
    Orien: ][Vladtepes][Gelatinous][Lelitha]

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dabima View Post
    Just finished a barbarian life on my main character, and it was fantastic in Reaper. At 30 I had just over 4k hp raged, and PRR/MRR coupled with the 16% barb DR was great for survivability, and was getting very solid DPS as well.
    Happen to have a Build?

I'm a returning player, from quite of few years ago - my Main was Pure Barb, looking to update the Build and get back into the game.

Not having much luck Googling DDO Builds, everything I'm finding is more than a few years Out Dated...

So if anyone has some help?

Some Vitals about my Main.

1. Dwarf PURE Barb, LVL 19
    2. THF -- Specialized in Great Axes, have a nice collection.
    3. STR Based - But CON is also Maxed.
    4. Gear Wise, not so great... part of the reason I left the game was I was too casual for the guild I was in and just got left out of all the Raiding and Materials Farming, so I kind of became obsolete.
    5. Primary Skill I was running with was RAGE, but willing to adjust.
    6. I am wondering if the Heavy Armor builds are still viable? I used to be speced for Heavy Armor, but the last time I was active I was peer pressured into Respecing to Medium.

Pretty straight forward...

Thanks!