Default ETR caster bard choice of weapon?

Which one would you prefer for your caster bard, epic bejewelled letter opener or epic elyd edge? Or something else?
    Social Justice W...arlock (5e toon)
    OkarisRage, big fat purple wolf (because no need to be a bear with the new epic defensive fighting feat-getting past lives of druid and pdk so my artificer is better <3)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    Which one would you prefer for your caster bard, epic bejewelled letter opener or epic elyd edge? Or something else?
    20/40/60 hamp gs > 30/50/70 hamp lgs affirmation to counteract reaper penalties.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 01-24-2019 at 08:54 PM.

Neither of those can get sentience though
    Social Justice W...arlock (5e toon)
    OkarisRage, big fat purple wolf (because no need to be a bear with the new epic defensive fighting feat-getting past lives of druid and pdk so my artificer is better <3)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    Neither of those can get sentience though
    A dedicated caster can cast in R10, but levels in R5 or lower. You don't need the DCs from sentience for R5-, and sentience provides basically no spell crit, no spell crit multiplier, and no spell power, and no offensive caster levels, and no helpless damage. Therefore sentience is more or less useless for leveling a caster. 120-150 HAMP and 1k temp hp though are universally useful for leveling any caster.

The only sentience on a caster I would consider using for leveling would be all ranged power to scale fan of knives. But fan of knives requires a specialized LD/archmage/monk build to deal a good deal of damage, and monk doesn't mix with bard, so one is back to HAMP sticks.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 01-25-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Community Member

You can always put the Greensteel healing amp weapon in your offhand.

Elyd Edge and Epic Bejeweled Letter Opener are both decent options at lower epic levels, but the devotion will become outdated assuming you want to keep using this until level 29 when you can put on a Nightmother's scepter or something else. 2 other options to consider would be an Epic Timeblade for constant Freedom of Movement, Feather Fall, and 2 aug slots, or an Epic Flameward for some fire absorption, exceptional Charisma, and 1 aug slot.

If devotion isn't something you care about having maxed, or near maxed, either of the weapons you mentioned are fine. I wouldn't say either one has a really definite edge over the other. It basically comes down to Inspire Echoes/Anthem vs. Empower Healing II/Healing Amp 20. Only you would know which of those would benefit your toon more.
    Stratis on Khyber

Want to know my build?
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...il-of-the-Bard