Thread: Tank Advice

Community Member

Default Tank Advice

Ok, so I've been looking into working more on my tank. I've played two different tank builds, one War 15/Pally 4/Wiz 1 and Fighter 15/Pally 4/Wiz 1. Now I'm seeing Arty splits both with a 1 Wiz and with either Arty 15/Pally 4 or Fighter 14/Arty 5.

So I get the basics. All of the current tanks, I've seen (and yes I've seen other splits) and they are all bags of HPs, high AC, high PRR and MRR. I guess my question is when does the focus on PRR and MRR start to really get to diminishing returns and what AC is really needed.

Now having said that I'm not an R10 player, generally R4-R5 tops.

I really like the idea of the Arty 15, Pally 5, Wiz 1 BUT I was wondering about looking into different types of splits. I know with Paragon Body and Aasimir for the hp% and probably at least some LGS, but I'm curious about how much is really enough. I've seen some crazy high numbers.....

Hey.

Actually, it's not easy to answer your question. I'll try to provide some tips.

HP, AC, PRR and MRR are for sure key stats for a tank.
    Other ‘features’ required are: damage avoidance (dodge, incorporeal, displacement…) – a really important factor -, healing amplification, intimidate, high saves (no fail on 1 on fort and reflex).

What are good values to aim for?
    Well, it depends on what you have. You should aiming high optimizing your PLs, reaper points and equip.
    A min maxer with all the PLs, 100+ reaper points and good equip can get 500+ AC with a fighter14/pally 5/wiz1 split or 10.000+ hp with the fighter14/arti5/wiz1 split.

If you play wisely, and you have some capable players in party who can heal you, you will survive in high skulls content with really low stats.
    Imho the minimum system requirements for a tank are: 300+ AC, 4000+ hp, 250 PRR, 175 MRR, 110 intimidate (you will need more for some content).

For an ‘entry-level’ tank, I would suggest the aasimar arti 15/pally4/wiz1 split. Why?
    - Good hp, decent AC, PRR, MRR
    - High saves with minor investment.
    - Automatic Forcefield. Lifesaver.
    - Easy to play. You don’t need to scroll Tenser, you can easily self heal in low-medium skulls content, etc
    - Trapper
    - Deadly buff for party members

Some hints regarding equip:
    - Skip tower and use large shield. Giants platter is probably best in slot. Equip scimi in main hand for wayward warrior set.
    - Equip KoS set with intimi goggles.
    - LGS set. If you can afford it, equip 4 ethereal opposition set for incorporeal and hp. Unconsciousness Range is also good.
    - make sure you have a ghostly item and displacement clickies
    - don't forget healing hamp. More hp you have, more hamp you need.
    - make use of items swap (i.e. to trap, alternative equip with Bracers of Order and Chaos and Ring of Flickering Steel for KT, etc)
    Tronko - Ascendance - Cannith

Community Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go with the arty split, but I might try a few tweaks. I got to get some Epic PL and Reaper points as well as gear. Might as well play around along the way. But this gives me some ways to judge my builds. thanks

A bit of a necro, I know.

I am curious if anyone would post some more details on the "entry-level" Aasimar 15art/4pal/1wiz tank build.

In particular feats and enhancements. Much appreciated.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    A bit of a necro, I know.

I am curious if anyone would post some more details on the "entry-level" Aasimar 15art/4pal/1wiz tank build.

In particular feats and enhancements. Much appreciated.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/500882-The-Tank-Asimar-15-4-1