17 6.30%
  • Wisdom

93 34.44%
  • Charisma

31 11.48%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Systems Designer

Default You Make The Item! (WEEK 2)

Hello, all! At this time, we're going to close the poll on week 1 and move on to week 2 - Main Stat! Without further ado, please vote above for one of the following: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma!

Now, to clarify, this stat might not even make it onto the item depending on what else shakes out (or it might appear, but in quality/insightful/profane versions, etc) - that being said, this is pretty important for the direction of the Goggles, so be sure to vote above!

The item so far:
    Item Slot: Goggles
    Last edited by Lynnabel; 01-22-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    100% radical, enthusiasm enthusiast.

Might as well go with the most universal stat... Constitution!

Constitution.

I don't recall there being any other examples of Goggles with CON on them.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Hi Welcome

Systems Designer

Speaking entirely selfishly, I hope Con doesn't win. Con is way less rad from a design standpoint - even if it's universally appealing, it'll also avoid being build specific, and build specific stuff is where the funkiest designs live. That being said, this is your show, not mine, so don't listen to me!

Still firmly believe this is too little information regarding future polls to make a meaningful vote on. Could make some speculations to what each option might include for future votes
    ie. Strength = Accuracy, Deadly, Combat Mastery, something to do with Action Boosts
    Dex = Reflex saves, AC, everything to do with Ranged, possibly Seeker
    Con = ? Immunities maybe? Blindness and Petrification would both be fitting for Goggles.
    Wis = Stuff for Divines and for Monks, light/healing/fire spell power, stunning bonuses, SP, Ki
    Int and Cha = Arcanes, SP, elemental damage, spell foci, spell pen, maybe efficient metamagics, Int could lean toward rogue for XBow builds or assassinate

but all those are is speculation. Complete shot in the dark = not worth to vote because it wouldn't be done under any real pretenses. Especially since you said the stat may not even be put on the item, so even the vote of "CON is universal, let's at least put a useful stat on this item" may turn out to be "sorry, Constitution didn't make it onto the item."
    Hi Welcome

Without knowing the concept of the item, best (imho) to keep it generalist.

Voted Con.

It's really hard to rally behind a stat without knowing what the item is, is going to be for, is intended to do, etc. Con may be the boring choice - but for now, given all the unknowns, it's probably also the best. Right now, we not only don't know how many licks it's going to take to get to the center of the Tootsie Pop - we don't even know for sure it's a Tootsie Pop.
    Last edited by Memnir; 01-18-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

What about all stats? Currently the biggest item you can get that gives "all stats" gives a huge +3 non stacking bonus. What if we had a +15 all stats item? How far behind single stat items would be worth it for MAD builds and not worth it for focused builds?
    Selvera: Deep Gnome Wiz 20/Epic 5; PK build
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 11; Just a pastlife for an alt

Speaking entirely selfishly, I hope Con doesn't win. Con is way less rad from a design standpoint - even if it's universally appealing, it'll also avoid being build specific, and build specific stuff is where the funkiest designs live. That being said, this is your show, not mine, so don't listen to me!
    Well if I wanted to go "Build Specific" I'd choose something like:
    Dexterity +20(or whatever the stats will be in Sharn)
    Insightful/quality Doubleshot (since these dont exist)
    Legendary Marksmanship: +10 to hit, +5 damage on ranged attack.
    Legendary Shrieking Bolt: on ranged vorpal attack do a massive amount of sonic damage, fort save reduces damage by half. Also DC 100 (will) save or the target is dazed.
    Green Aug slot. With a chance to come with 1 of 4 Augments: Fear immunity, blind immunity, Deathblock, and Good luck +2.

But without knowing more about what this item will turn out to be or even if its a raid item, quest item, or freebie given after the first quest. It is kinda hard to choose.

Speaking entirely selfishly, I hope Con doesn't win. Con is way less rad from a design standpoint - even if it's universally appealing, it'll also avoid being build specific, and build specific stuff is where the funkiest designs live.
    This makes the LEAST amount of sense for an item you want a community to vote on.

There were about 200 votes for which slot the item should be. 200 different people with probably 40 different builds and 90 different playstyles.
    Either the majority of people vote for the most universally appealing option because that way at least everyone will have an item they can somewhat use, or you have 40 different groups each pulling their own direction and winding up with an item where polls are ended with votes scattered and nothing reaching a clear majority, nobody happy because each group wins once or twice and gets a tiny splatter of what could be useful to them on the item, but the rest of the item doesn't pull it together and allow it to be great or even good for their build, and thus nobody uses it and this whole thing turns out to be a failure.

imo if you want to design a rad, funky item for a specific build then that is what you should be doing.
    If you want to know what specific build to make a funky item for, it would have been better to make a thread asking for weird builds and look through them until you see one that inspires you to make said item. Like, maybe the idea of a Cleric/Warlock that does most of its healing and damage through passive auras gives you the funky item idea for an Orb whose powers increase every few seconds so long as you don't actively swing a weapon or cast a spell, similar to In The Weeds/Hiding in Plain Sight for being still or Riposte for not attacking.
    Hi Welcome

Ok,
    I suggest you do not put a stat on it
    But going with my aforementioned
    Accuracy and doublestrike
    Might I suggest insightful wisdom?

Idk I was going for the kt trinket, which has insightful wisdom
    But if you build me some good goggles,
    I may not need it
    How about add dodge to the goggles?

So something like
    Accuracy 30
    Doublestrike 22
    Dodge 20
    Insightful wisdom 10

I think I could love that
    Vishantii (the bird man)
    Kil (heroic and epic completionist)

Sarlona, Heart of Wisdom

Dex, make it a swashbuckler item.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Hello, all! At this time, we're going to close the poll on week 1 and move on to week 2 - Main Stat! Without further ado, please vote above for one of the following: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma!

Now, to clarify, this stat might not even make it onto the item depending on what else shakes out (or it might appear, but in quality/insightful/profane versions, etc) - that being said, this is pretty important for the direction of the Goggles, so be sure to vote above!
    This week 2 poll should be melee, ranged or caster item...

I'd vote for CHR since,

STR - STR is on a number of different option for gear.
    Dex - option 2 for ranged toons but there already is the baba goggles.
    Con - these are currently tied to many RL set bonus. not seeing these being broken up for melee. so for casters this could be a good option but makes less sense. sunglasses of buffness...
    Int - we just got int goggles, we had quality int goggles... next plz
    wis - there are a few revamped options from DOJ or crafting. Not a bad choice for wis casters
    chr - could be a chr 19 or 20 option here to allow more choices for chr builds (melee) or casters. insight already exists.
    Member of "Guild of the Black Dragons" & "Swords of the Light" on Sarlona. Proud "Last" member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy.
    Kilthar-Tharr-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Tharissa-Robothar-Minithar-Miriella-Tharnessa-Tharisa

rand(5)+1

Make it a curse effect, reduce the popular stat!

The other 3 effects to be at least shrug worthy ?

//make sure it has cosmetic value of all else fails

I vote all: Well-rounded +4!

Community Member

When I am gearing up for a new set of levels, I find the one item I cannot live without and work backwards from it. So, here's my pitch. Let's take advantage of this opportunity and work together to design an item from the "player-devs" mentality. I like melees, so my idea of goggles might look something like:

The HUD:
    The primary purpose of the HUD is to assist the user with hand to hand combat capabilities. After years of research, Speed has been determined to be the single most useful ability to all variety of combatants. Thus we outfitted the HUD with maximum Speed. When it comes to physical abilities, these vary wildly depending on the individual. Constitution is useful for everyone, Strength is useful to a large group of combatants (but certainly not all), Dexterity is also widely favored (and helpful with ranged combat as well); however, Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma are usually more of a specialized version of warrior. The HUD, however, is a series of displays and predictors that will assist in enhancing your ability to hit the soft spots of your target, while minimizing your chances of being hit. Thus, Dexterity is enhanced. The next advantage of the HUD system is that it is will greatly assist in your ability to apply a tactical advantage while in combat. This is done through an Insightful Combat Bonus Maneuvers (ICBM) enhancement. Finally, the HUD ensures you do the maximum damage possible through an ingenious system that bypasses much of the opponents fortification against critical strikes.

Obviously I am not good at flavor writing up off the top of my head, but oh well!

+ Dex, + Speed (lowish level +25% movement/+10% melee alacrity, high level +30% movement/+15% melee alacrity) , +Insightful combat tactics, +Armor Piercing. The ability to end up with speed on goggles would be a huge boon, freeing up boot options that I seem to continually be stuck with.

Alternatively, being able to have strength on my goggles would be very cool as well! I went with dex, because it fit the theme and has a wide audience.

Community Member

I think this is a flawed polling methodology...

From a game theory standpoint there's a major problem: you're making people bet against themselves by giving a choice without full information about it. That's going to push people into making the conservative choice, which is CON, since that's guaranteed to at least be somewhat useful.

I agree that the choice right now should be between Caster, Martial, or Survivability items, and then we can dive in deeper from there.

And honestly, the slot should've been the last thing decided, after we know what the item actually DOES...we're just as likely to end up recreating the wheel by committee and creating an item that's already highly redundant with something that already exists.

Community Member

I voted Wisdom in hopes that the Soon to be unlockable via Favor, Falconry, gets some more fun build options.

Systems Designer

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think this is a flawed polling methodology...
    One of the hardest parts of a group design is avoiding the scenario in which a single player suggests something and then that suggestion is chosen. In that case, it wouldn't be "you make the item," it would be "we pick the item."

If it helps you guys make your choice, the next poll after this one will give a few options of different classes (for example, CHA would have a choice between Sorcerer, Bard, Paladin, Warlock, and Favored Soul) - and then from there, a list of new, specific and niche effects (such as a new Bard Song to your Ballad or Inspiration, or some cool synergy with being in an elemental form). If Con wins, we'll do something a little different, likely either doing something specifically for defending against magic or defending against physical attacks, probably with some new and specific defensively oriented effects that you'll end up choosing from. It's also important to note that Sharn's itemization will be giving a lot of love to classes and playstyles that Ravenloft's suite didn't specifically support, such as heavily armored DPS or primal offensive and defensive casting. As such, rather than focusing on what would fit your build right this minute, you absolutely have the freedom to design whatever you wish

In my personal experience as an item designer, I actually go slot -> stat -> class -> effects -> special sauce, which is why I ordered the polls like I did. If we end up running this event for future content, it'll likely be changed due to feedback, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there

You know Lynn, this whole community created item idea is really, really cool... but perhaps it would have been better to start with an item theme of some kind. I mean if the item was likely to feature a stat, perhaps it would have been less problematic to vote the stat first then people could have an idea of what sort of build the item was intended from the beginning. Oh well, maybe next time we'll get to design 6 items - one for each stat and indicate to the devs where we as players prefer to see these mods.

I haven't voted yet. I'm torn, I play mostly casters and as such goggles are my go-to spell focus slot.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I agree that the choice right now should be between Caster, Martial, or Survivability items, and then we can dive in deeper from there.
    Yes, I agree, if we had chosen a category like that first... it would have been more coherent, to me at least.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast