Default Tough Choice on Gear AA Wizard

So, I'm doing a sun elf AA/EK 20 wizard (although I'm thinking of splashing 2 since I'm using the AA capstone).

Between Spellsword: Acid, Corrosive Arrows, and Scion of the Plane of Earth I'm doing a ton of acid damage on each attack (see screenshot for an approximate idea).

The tough part is, do I do the Silent Avenger set, or wear the Burnscar sash for best DPS? 15% doubleshot and 3d6 sneak attack is a lot to give up, but 202 acid spellpower is also a lot. I can partially make up for the burnscar sash by using a Legendary Greensteel Earth bow (which means no sentient weapon, but I don't have a leveled gem for this character yet anyway.)

I've tried testing but it's difficult. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also, does anyone know if the acid proc from the LGS Earth bow scales with spellpower? The wiki is messed up.

I'd also be curious to know what people think regarding Shadowdancer vs. Shiradi. I'm leaning toward Shadowdancer for the extra int. Shiradi procs just don't seem to be that effective any more, and on my bow attacks they don't scale with spellpower anyway.

Weirdly enough, this build actually seems a good choice for Arcane Warrior, because although it's still hard to build up the martial stacks, I build spellpower stacks constantly just by firing the bow, and the spellpower increases the acid damage with the bow. So it's a cheap way to get a cool +40 spellpower.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    The tough part is, do I do the Silent Avenger set, or wear the Burnscar sash for best DPS? 15% doubleshot and 3d6 sneak attack is a lot to give up, but 202 acid spellpower is also a lot. I can partially make up for the burnscar sash by using a Legendary Greensteel Earth bow (which means no sentient weapon, but I don't have a leveled gem for this character yet anyway.) I've tried testing but it's difficult. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    It partly depends on what your DS/RP and SP are already, would you mind listing them so we can do a comparison between the two?

Also, does anyone know if the acid proc from the LGS Earth bow scales with spellpower? The wiki is messed up.
    It doesnt anymore, use to when l.shroud first came out. Got nerfed because it was extremely overpowered for Shrui and warlocks, and only slightly over powered for everone else :P (use to tick for 4-8k on an acid shuri or warlock, 2-4k for everyone else.) Infact AFAIK all of the elemental procs from LGS no longer scale from Spellpower.
    Last edited by IdontKare; 01-25-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That ship has sailed, came back, sailed again, got raided by pirates, became a pirate ship, got cursed to chase after the Flying Dutchman for three centuries, got exorcised to fight in the American Civil War, then got modernized to fight in both World Wars, participated in the D-Day landing and is a decommissioned museum/restaurant now in Key West, Florida.

What about an acid ToEE bow? You get 10% acid vulnerability added along with buffs (do the spellcasting one not damage one?)
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4 soon)

I've used a cold-vunerability ToEE bow and typically whenever I swap to it I decide that it's not worth it. Basically enemies die too fast for the vulnerability to stack up on them if they're trash; and the extra crits of the E S Sting make that happen even faster. My math tells me that the base damage of Ravenloft/later bows also outclass the vulnerability of ToEE bows on everything but perhaps raid bosses.

Unfortunately my calculations/experiances are more with ranger or cleric archers, not wizard archers, but I don't expect them to be all that far off for the more imbue focused build.

You might want to try the https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Inferno_Sniper since it combines more modern base damage with elemental vulnerability; and fire spellpower is one of the easiest to stack.

A different option is to pursue electric damage and use the https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legend...one%27s_Lenses which frees up your belt slot for the silent avenger's set.

PS. I recco you splash 2 levels of classes with Full BAB; at least 1 of which is a fighter at level 20; so that you don't need to spend your epic level feats on IPS.
    Selvera: Human Fighter 18; Inquisitive build
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 20/Epic 10; Healer Archer with a more supportive build then usual
    Mayve: Tiefling Sorc 14; Just a pastlife for an alt

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    I've used a cold-vunerability ToEE bow and typically whenever I swap to it I decide that it's not worth it. Basically enemies die too fast for the vulnerability to stack up on them if they're trash; and the extra crits of the E S Sting make that happen even faster. My math tells me that the base damage of Ravenloft/later bows also outclass the vulnerability of ToEE bows on everything but perhaps raid bosses.

Unfortunately my calculations/experiances are more with ranger or cleric archers, not wizard archers, but I don't expect them to be all that far off for the more imbue focused build.

You might want to try the https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Inferno_Sniper since it combines more modern base damage with elemental vulnerability; and fire spellpower is one of the easiest to stack.

A different option is to pursue electric damage and use the https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legend...one%27s_Lenses which frees up your belt slot for the silent avenger's set.

PS. I recco you splash 2 levels of classes with Full BAB; at least 1 of which is a fighter at level 20; so that you don't need to spend your epic level feats on IPS.
    A two fighter splash is absolutely terrible here. The capstone is the biggest damage increase.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post

The caster belts add a STACKING bonus to spell power, with which the other two items you named would stack.

Community Member

So, I'm doing a sun elf AA/EK 20 wizard (although I'm thinking of splashing 2 since I'm using the AA capstone).

Between Spellsword: Acid, Corrosive Arrows, and Scion of the Plane of Earth I'm doing a ton of acid damage on each attack (see screenshot for an approximate idea).

The tough part is, do I do the Silent Avenger set, or wear the Burnscar sash for best DPS? 15% doubleshot and 3d6 sneak attack is a lot to give up, but 202 acid spellpower is also a lot. I can partially make up for the burnscar sash by using a Legendary Greensteel Earth bow (which means no sentient weapon, but I don't have a leveled gem for this character yet anyway.)

I've tried testing but it's difficult. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also, does anyone know if the acid proc from the LGS Earth bow scales with spellpower? The wiki is messed up.
    I think always silent avenge set win
    If u consider critical affect first number
    Last edited by Alled78; 02-02-2019 at 01:58 AM.
    In game in Cannith as
    Aborim Master (main toon) --- Nickallin (my tank)--- Jjnick (warlock 30) --- Nickpunick ()--- Nickruvido (my healer)--- Nickallinone (shuri build)
    GODS

Well, coming back, I'm currently using an LGS earth bow, and the proc (while not scaling hugely any more) is still worth it, it's about 200 damage per shot if not more. I'm running with a standing 900 acid spellpower currently and pulling down about 1600 DPS when just auto-attacking (can kill a 50k hp mob in 30 seconds by auto-attacking).

I decided to try dumping almost all of the actual bow damage and just going hardcore imbue damage so that I could pick up a ton of spell penetration, odd as that sounds. (I'm testing it to see if I like it). Currently I'm running a triple earth LGS bow so my acid spellpower is hovering at 950 and my doubleshot with the Silent Avenger set is 70%. I've got 3% more that I can get from my last doubleshot past life, but other than that I don't really see a way to improve the doubleshot at all.

I dislike not being able to use a sentient weapon, though.

I made a short crappy video where I play like a 3-year-old on meth so you can see my current version of this build in action a little:

Bounty Hunter

This is an interesting idea. I would probably be a DC spellcaster first and use the bow dps for boss fights and situationally. Void the endless cold from old baba's hut and legendary inferno from white plume mountain are two weapons I would look at.

I would try it both ways with the caster set and silent avenger set and see which works best with your playstyle. Bows have a bad crit profile so I would tend to think focusing on proc damage won't be a disaster - probably somewhere near neutral.

The sneak proc damage from shadowdancer is pretty good, but I have no idea how it compares to shiradi procs with a bow. Having evasion on a high reflex low mrr build is pretty good so I would at least test in Shadowdancer to see how it works for you.

Already got evasion due to a 2 rogue splash. The DC casting is okay but a tad iffy--it's hard to slot the gear and I don't have a sentient weapon because I'm using an LGS bow. I think that's going to wind up being the main issue in the end and I'm going to have to drop silent avenger.

I think that having some elemental flexibility is going to wind up trumping the Silent Avenger doubleshot bonus--I can have both ravenloft belts in my inventory and switch as needed.

I am strongly tempted to try out a force arrows/elemental EK imbue/Feywild (sonic) build. It'll split my spellpower so I might lose some dps, but it'll go up against resists better and also get an additional +2 to Enchantment DC's, which are hovering RIGHT on the edge of good at present.

The dps seems pretty okay overall. The main downfall is a near-total lack of self-healing. Also, my MRR is a pile of poo right now due to the gear I'm wearing.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 02-15-2019 at 12:17 AM.