Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Community Member

While I think it's good you're trying to make other weapon types useful I disagree with the method. Instead of trying to make them all the same by having similar crit profiles, what buffing them in other ways so they are powerful but very different. Homogeneity may be balanced... but it's not very exciting.

Having differentiators between weapon types is more interesting. Like years back when slashing had good crit profiles and vorpal, but only blunt could have stunning and bypass skele DR, and only piercing could have wounding/puncturing. But you could also do things like more double strike with some weapons, or armor pen, or swing speed, or extra stats (i.e. super masterfully crafted), or 5% chance to stun, or ramping power (where every consecutive hit gives a stacking buff), etc.

I like the changes you guys made to bastard swords (with the splash damage) and the great crossbows (with the knockdown and burst with endless fusillade). This makes them interesting, but not strictly better.

Anyhow still good to see you are looking at unused weapon types!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreppo View Post
    Love it. Long swords, battle axes, and war hammers are all iconic weapons of war, and this will make them actually used. (Spears are another... wish DDO would do a proper implementation of spears, but I digress.) There's an opportunity cost of taking a feat which makes this balanced. Well done.
    I agree that having a feat cost makes this proposal feel pretty balanced. Having more iconic weapons will really help diversify builds as well as make the game feel closer to classic fantasy for me. The addition of this feat has me pretty hyped to jump back into the game. I can finally do an effective long sword build.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to give you a quick heads up on a new martial feat that we’re introducing in the upcoming anniversary patch. It’s called…

…………

Knight’s Training:

Description: You have undergone rigorous military training with the traditional weapons of war. These weapons receive one of the following morale bonuses in your hands.

• Longsword critical multiplier is increased by 1
    • Battle Axes critical threat range is increased by 1. Increased by 2 if you have slashing improved critical
    • Heavy Maces, Morning Stars & War Hammers critical threat range is increased by 1

Requires: +4 BAB
    Martial Feat (Fighter bonus feats can be used to take this)
    Wow. This is a not only a surprising addition, but a great one! Adding more variety to viable weapon types is a nice move, and in particular makes Aasimar Scourge Tempests with Heavy Maces/Morning Stars a much more competitive option at endgame (though they are still somewhat lacking in named weapons). I'm also pleased to see longswords boosted up, since this a classic weapon and deserves to see more use.

Why make this feat? We want players to have more options for their melee DPS builds, so we are equalizing some weapons to be at least closer, if not equal to, the power of the Khopesh. Due to the way crit bonuses become rather great by epic levels, the Khopesh’s superior crit numbers can make it mathematically the only one-handed choice for many builds, and we prefer a more diverse weapon choice for players seeking top DPS
    Just to point out, while the Khopesh is often mathematically the strongest for DPS, it is far from the only good one-handed choice for most endgame melee builds, and is typically in my opinion a suboptimal choice, due to the current named weapon selection and powerful CC/defense benefits that other named weapons provide. That being said, I would say Khopesh is right where it should be mathematically at the moment, and this proposed change will do a good job of increasing weapon options without unbalancing them.

Great work!

Community Member

Good Job buffing the OP classes hope they spend their money now, Monks get your dual soulrazors, Scourge Rangers get your Maces LOL, add daggers to Knight' s Training while you're at it LOL!

Community Member

Great change, keep up the good work.

Not many will use a khopesh now since there are better named longswords and battleaxes, especially combined. But the playing field is level so now you can make some great khopeshes again. And include it as favored weapon for some deity.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zites View Post
    Good Job buffing the OP classes hope they spend their money now, Monks get your dual soulrazors, Scourge Rangers get your Maces LOL, add daggers to Knight' s Training while you're at it LOL!
    I see what you did there. But just to be serious, and the fact that this has nothing to do with classes:

Obviously in 2019, Whirling Steel Strike is still a thing. Not.

Scourge maces are still not top tier, just around "not awful". I remember giving up on maces because scimitars just overall worked better when I ran my scourge lives... though to be fair, we've gotten better maces since, just also better scimitars too.

Changes unlikely to come to Daggers between existing assassin abilities and VKF.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis - Striving to be your Swiss Army Knife for DPS, traps and tanking
    Eushully/Centered LS Tempest | Nantekottai/Arti tank | Ponoka - Inquis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    While I think it's good you're trying to make other weapon types useful I disagree with the method. Instead of trying to make them all the same by having similar crit profiles, what buffing them in other ways so they are powerful but very different. Homogeneity may be balanced... but it's not very exciting.

Having differentiators between weapon types is more interesting. Like years back when slashing had good crit profiles and vorpal, but only blunt could have stunning and bypass skele DR, and only piercing could have wounding/puncturing. But you could also do things like more double strike with some weapons, or armor pen, or swing speed, or extra stats (i.e. super masterfully crafted), or 5% chance to stun, or ramping power (where every consecutive hit gives a stacking buff), etc.

I like the changes you guys made to bastard swords (with the splash damage) and the great crossbows (with the knockdown and burst with endless fusillade). This makes them interesting, but not strictly better.

While I agree with the reasoning, I think the proposed solution is fine. The interesting differentiators are now just on the named weapons themselves and with weapon types becoming equal, that is where you make the choice.
    I think this is an improvement over determining what weapon type fits your, and then picking the clearly best-in-slot endgame weapon of that type.

A bit boring perhaps, but there were way too many weapon types to create interesting choice from the start (and way too many of them pareto inferior)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    I smell dual Soulrazors + LOTS of Healing Amp builds!
    proc rate (at least on the great sword) is horri bad, amp might be useful out of reaper.

Overall I am sure this was suggested years ago, am glad to see it happening now.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

The Myth- TR will make my character powerful
    The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcides View Post
    Could you allow this feat to also add glancing blows for long swords and battle axes while a shield is equipped? There are very few Dwaven axes and Bastard swords available in the raid tier.

Also please consider adding this feat in addition to Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Mastery and Legendary Shield Mastery Improved Shield Bash and Shield Deflection to count towards the hit point bonus of Epic Defensive fighting.
    Why would anyone use a bastard sword over it then since this has a x3 multi and both cost the feat. BS does have a d10 base but that is small compared to a x3 and glancing.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

The Myth- TR will make my character powerful
    The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by noinfo View Post
    proc rate (at least on the great sword) is horri bad, amp might be useful out of reaper.

Overall I am sure this was suggested years ago, am glad to see it happening now.
    Current iteration of vampirism is a has a horrible internal timer, it wouldn't be great even in EE/LE unless you've got serious damage mitigation. I've heard problems with the PK between not proccing, not proccing enough and not having enough DC. A 10k HP bar isn't great either, guess I'll now have a reason to test and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by noinfo View Post
    Why would anyone use a bastard sword over it then since this has a x3 multi and both cost the feat. BS does have a d10 base but that is small compared to a x3 and glancing.
    BSords as it stands are almost exclusively for glancing with a shield or perhaps SWF, and there is ONE x3 bastard sword in the game right now... I suspect there will be no work on bsords and daxes until they decide to rework vanguard. It's not like there's anything out there for bsords out there now either to make it a competitive choice, afaik Vanguards will prefer dax for the larger crit and headman chop multiplier on the shield.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post
    The truth is, not just for khopesh, but essentially most weapons that didn't get dibs in CitW or ToEE is left dry for low epics. Even then, you still have the new plat Khopesh and Drow from MotU, and like most other weapons without great choices Cormyrean or craft TF/LGS. Most of the "better newer" named weapons do not exist from 20-26, and require specific builds to operate. Many of the "exceptionally" strong weapons aren't even recent additions.

For the purpose of this feat though let's only consider longswords, battleaxes, and the blungeon pieces. Nothing comes to mind for Longswords in low-mid epics. Fellblade MIGHT perform better than RL for the critrange, there is no raid piece in RL+.

Battleaxes has exactly ONE old epic piece and the 3 versions of Adaxus until you hit RL with Adaxus on x4, but has no supporting mods. The dice and enchantment are also antiquated so will unlikely outperform a Morninglord. The raid battleaxe isn't even a melee piece, it's a light casting stick.

Where do I even start with Maces and Morningstars, the options are not all that many (though RL+ pieces are available) and even with the feat the profile is still subpar. Warhammers are in a slightly better position with a x3 base but if I'm not mistaken from the post bludgeons don't get the extra +1 range with impcrit so they're still short of Khopeshes.

It's reasonable till now for Khopeshes to have fewer options, as you said even your lower level khopeshes are up to par with stronger pieces of other weapons. They didn't need more or better pieces. There was no incentive to give khopesh more options over other weapons that were already underperforming in comparison. Addition of this feat to level the playing field actually gives more room for devs to add khopeshes with less fear of khopesh being the single end-all weapon.
    Well written and I agree with you overall - they do keep up NOW - when this happens they won't sadly because they will be equalizing the only thing that keeps the kopesh capable staying in the loop now - I realize that obviously I am in the minority here - because no one else uses kopeshes anymore which I guess is why they don't care if they make them obsolete. The original post also said they would get to the other weapons is would just slower. Yes there is a new kopesh in the WPM and I have it in both heroicss and epics - and the dmg on it is subpar unless it crits.

Flowin' through my mind... Being here, dreaming there...

Maybe add heavy picks... and b swds/d axes.
    Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    ...Raiding is pointless because gear will eventually be replaced by better gear. Past lives are forever and thus are the only character improvement that is worth the trouble of acquiring...
    Endgame is TR!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LadySorrows View Post
    Well written and I agree with you overall - they do keep up NOW - when this happens they won't sadly because they will be equalizing the only thing that keeps the kopesh capable staying in the loop now - I realize that obviously I am in the minority here - because no one else uses kopeshes anymore which I guess is why they don't care if they make them obsolete. The original post also said they would get to the other weapons is would just slower. Yes there is a new kopesh in the WPM and I have it in both heroicss and epics - and the dmg on it is subpar unless it crits.
    The problem now is how damage is being handled in the game, the later into the game you go the fewer mods matter. By the end it's basically stacking base mods, stacking crits and stacking helpless damage, beyond that maybe throw in debuffs that increase damage (vulnerability) and greatly slow down mobs (salt, etc.). So naturally on paper khopesh (or scimitar) profile is favourable over other weapons. If you like khopeshes you will probably stand to gain more from having the feat added in the long run as more balanced weapon environment will give devs less to worry about when creating the next khopesh. They've already been open and explicit about avoiding another ESoS situation, so not buffing other weapons first is unlikely to yield you any shiny khopeshes down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySorrows View Post
    I'm not gonna cry if they intro this feat as stated, it's unbalanced and typical powercreep, but powercreep keeps a certain type of player invested in the game. It will mean the death of khope builds of course. But it will also allow (perhaps even demand) the introduction of named khopeshes, scimitars, WAxes, and bastard swords that don't suck across a range of levels to compete with the new master weapons (eventually) to continue the powercreep. It will allow pure Monks to have a more powerful attack to replace the wraps they just nerfed. SovHost devine melees will get a bit of a boost. Kensei will save one AP by not needing to use an exotic weapon. It will encourage Str based Tempests over Dex based scimi Tempests. I'm sure I'm missing all sorts of "benifits."

I will not care too much as long as I'm able to pawn off all the many soon to be sub-par weapons i have hoarded, to the majority of DDO players that do not read the forums, before this goes live.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Community Member

Just change the damage and Crit profile of the weapons themselves. It makes zero sense to have to spend a feat on your build in order to have Longsword compete with khopeshes. Especially when khopeshes are an exotic weapon and long swords are a martial weapon. I think all martial weapons should be competitive with each other overall from the start and the choice should be if you are building for a specific damage type, base damage or Crit damage. Simple weapons should be slightly less and exotic weapons should be more but would require an extra feat even for a fighter.

The proposed numbers look good, however but again I don’t think spending a feat on this is appropriate...but maybe if there were a few available to choose from as a martial class at x level that would be ok as well.

so we are equalizing some weapons to be at least closer, if not equal to, the power of the Khopesh.

Why..?

They function somewhat differently, they are supposed to be used differently.

I dont try to equalize toothpicks to ultra sonic brushes, they work to the same end but I use them for different occasions.

I know i am probably wasting bytes once more as "feedback" goes in these days, but why not consider adding different damage output stats for each weapon?

There are quite a few to choose from in your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post

4. Hey Maces/Hammers/etc aren’t equal (unless I go Aasimar Maces) Because bludgeon DR is probably the most common DR due to skeletons we’ve kept maces a little lower for now.

-Torc
    I tend to find that Zombies have higher DR than Skellys so sometimes use level 8 Nightforge Stiletto daggers for slash against those over Pain and Suffering as they do more dps than raid weapons. Piercing weapons are the weakest of all weapon types due to few numbers of monsters with DR to piercing.

Would have been nice if Kukri Knife was usable with Vistani especially considering that Vistani are based off Romani people that originated from the Indian subcontinent where the Kukri also originated from.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post

I rather agree with this. Rather than working to equalize the playing field so that all weapons are closer to equal, why not go the other direction and spawn a host of variety? This seems to better fit the 'endless customization' theme of DDO.

Some possibilities off the top of my head:

Maces: A slight chance to daze an enemy for a second or two.
    Morningstars: Do both blunt and piercing damage.
    Rapiers: Inherent armor-piercing or slight attack speed boost.
    Warhammers: Add a small (possibly increasing with levels or [W]?) bonus to Stun
    Staff: Add a small (possibly increasing with levels or [W]?) bonus to Trip
    Maul: Add a small (possibly increasing with levels or [W]?) bonus to Sunder

and/or make some types of weapons more effective vs Medium & Heavy Armor, while others work better vs Light Armor & Robes.

This sort of thing would make it well-nigh impossible to compare weapons and have the potential to spawn hundreds of flavor builds.
    Server: Argonnessen
    Guild: Atomic Kumquat or something.. <sigh> I used to like my guild name
    Armorrd - Facta - Favorborg - Ixandy - Kompleat - Mobsbane - Qualified - Steeli - Tankitty - Visik

Quote Originally Posted by askrj1 View Post

For the purpose of this feat though let's only consider longswords, battleaxes, and the blungeon pieces. Nothing comes to mind for Longswords in low-mid epics. Fellblade MIGHT perform better than RL for the critrange, there is no raid piece in RL+.
    Oathblade. Expanded threat just got the increased multiplier. Nice base damage (d10) too.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked at level 4!)

An undisclosed location. I asked my captors but they remain tight lipped.

Having staggered through a life as a warpriest, this strikes me as an ideal solution. (I ran an evoker cleric life followed by a melee cleric and was sorely dissapointed by the loss of combat capability. I eventually stopped using the "favored" warhammer and switched to a bastard sword.) Whoever asked if the "favor" aspect of a weapon didn't already make up for the difference; no. No it did not. A non-favored bastard outmatched a favored named (Banhammer and CC) every time.

Edit: Initially, I thought this intended to be a fighter only feat so I needed to have a clean up on aisle 3.
    Last edited by Jerevth; 01-17-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: more caffiene, more clarity of the OP
    Sometimes I'm too clever for my own good. Bear in mind I'm probably trying to be humorous. Like dodge, it's hit or miss.// Looking for a guild on Orien? Send a tell to Magnifique to join the "Fidelic Brotherhood".

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast